SOTU Address and GOP Response -- Reactions?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (38 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

I have only one thing to say.
    ANYONE who persists in thinking the American media is "liberal" is not paying attention.
    I watched the speech, the GOP speech and post-speech commentary on NBC. Could there be a more blatantly biased news team?
    Shame on Brian Williams, Chuck Todd and even David Gregory.
    The president outlined very specific plans for winning the future. And all you can focus on is why didn't he bring up GUN CONTROL????

1. junko profile image68
      junkoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why they didn't want to know why he didn't bring up saving the American auto industry.

2. profile image59
      logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It was the same speech as last year for the most part.  Not any better off for the most part.  House values down for the fifth straight month I heard today.  Unemployment still over 9%.  Deficit still over a trillion.  Dollar still weak.  Budget still too high.  He can talk the talk, but is unable to walk the walk.  Owes too many contributors.  How many of his big business campaign contributors were in the audience? 
      He had a Democrat Senate and Democrat House to start his term, so why did it take a lame duck session to produce the most legislation?  Why aren't all our problems solved if he has all the answers?
      The media has been his lapdog for the last 2 years, perhaps they see something coming and want to cozy up to the new wave!

1. junko profile image68

logic: No man who has lived or alive today could accomplish much more with the right being in lockstep opposition like never before in american history. The lapdogs on the right with nothing to gain politically just hope to be called a great american by rush and friends. Their job is to repeat true lies.

3. lady_love158 profile image61
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Specific??? LOL It was a rehash of the same crap he's been pushing which has proven to be a failure!!!

1. Jim Hunter profile image61
        Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you kidding?

Its been a great success.

If we weren't all so racist we could see that.

1. lady_love158 profile image61

LOL

2. junko profile image68

Lady_Love you are a great american, right?

1. lady_love158 profile image61

I certainly think so!

2. Mighty Mom profile image77

Ha ha, junko.
    Now we both know the answer to that question.
    They don't want to know about any of Obama's accomplishments.
    Only negative, negative, negative....

3. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Impressive.

He tackled the most important aspect of moving forward - economy. Most of all I like the topics about Res. and Dev't, education and infrastructure.

He fairly covered almost all important topics from the return of the soldier, gays in the military, tax cuts, exports, spending cuts, Dream Act, all
    Most of all he is urging everybody - both parties plus the independent to participate in the process of rebuilding the country.

Finally I like the last sentence - "We do big things".

4. Mighty Mom profile image77

Well I am sure he will be criticized for that line, too.
    As he was talking about the little company that figured out how to free the Chilean miners.
    The criticism will come from the "American Exceptionalism" contingent.
    They will take issue to comparing America to this small company.
    We are NOT a small country!
    We are a GREAT country!
    Of COURSE we do BIG THINGS!!

I'm serious. I have been dismayed by the ridiculous reaction to his speech. How many times do we have to hear "it was a different kind of speech"? Instead of concentrating on the positive gesture of seating Ds and Rs intermingled, the media said the response was "tepid" because there weren't big cheering blocks.
    I swear. Obama can't catch a single break from the supposed "liberal" media!

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

well that is the media for you, sensationalized journalism. You can't do anything with it.  Result of the poll about his address is positive. For those who watched it, they will know his sincerity.

5. Mighty Mom profile image77

Agreed, PDH.
    Those of us who watched it know the truth of what he said.
    Those who didn't bother to watch and are relying on media reports will get a very skewed view.
    And not toward the President, either.
    Well, perhaps I should check out what PBS has to say. They, at least, aren't blatantly corporate!

6. lovemychris profile image75
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

Media Obama's lapdog??? On what planet?
    Why, haven't you heard what an America-Hater he is?? Get real.

I LOVED the speech. Said all the things I feel. And I watched MSNBC, so they liked it too. And they even had a Republican Rep on there, and I almost fell out of my seat!! This guy actually admitted the problem with illegal immigration is the owners who hire them!!

Well, I do worry that the Obama Derangement Syndrome might affect the things he wants to do....you know they are going to destroy him from all sides. But I hope he can hold on to his convictions...and all this "work together", yeah well, what did Ryan say about that?
    Let me guess..."Our way or the highway." ?

Renewable energy....YES!!
    Education--change No Kid Left Behind...YES!
    Working with other countries to make trade fair....Yes!
    Keeping job HERE....YES!
    Simplifying the tax codes..no more loopholes, even it up....YES!
    Don't Hurt the most vulnerable...YES!

Ryan: "We can't afford to borrow"........well, ya JUST borrowed 70 mil per year to give your buds a gift.(tax-bonus)
    Cut Cut Cut Cut Cut Cut for those who need....and give the rich more more more more more more...that about right?

1. profile image59

I am not rich in the financial sense, I have busted my ass for everything I do have though and I'm tired of passing it out to every little pet project of a politician who thinks they know better than I how to spend my money.  What is being cut? 
      If someone, family or friend needs assistance, then family and friends help out we don't go to the government with our hand out expecting them to rob others to solve our issues.
      How many of the "rich robber barons" you so despise that were sitting in the audience donated money to Obama and the Dems?  How many were there that are planning to donate?
      Many are able to see the hypocrisy of both sides, are you?

1. lovemychris profile image75
        lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey--I agree with you!! That's why i LOVED it when Obama said, "Let's stop giving billions to the oil companies!As far as I can tell, they are doing JUSt fine."--Don't you agree with that?
        Stop the tax cuts to billionaires....all they do is sit on their money anyway....or keep it in foreign banks. pshaw!
        They have more than they will ever spend. Let them pay taxes like the $65,000 a year school teacher does. Stop pandering to the wealthy!

And if YOU are going to use the caviat that hard work determines your worth.....half those people you are defending never worked a day in their life!

1. profile image57
          C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So, if the conservative would agree to abolish corporate welfare, would the progressive agree to abolish welfare based on "social justice"?

1. lovemychris profile image75
            lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You gonna be the one to tell your grandma?

Don't think so!!!

And if they ever abolished corporate welfare...these tycoons would be out in the streets!

You REALLY think they got there all by their lonesome?

2. profile image59

Who am I defending?  Certainly not the people who spend millions to buy power regardless of party.

7. BillyDRitchie profile image61
    BillyDRitchieposted 13 years ago

I didn't watch the speech because of my utter and complete disdain for the man giving it, a man who was not raised as an American (if you grow up in Hawaii, you are more accurately raised as  Hawaiian), and who despises everything that has made America great.

Although I'm sure it would have been nice not to have to watch Nancy Pelosi perform geriatric love gymnastics every time the Community Organizer said something that tickled her nether regions....

1. I am DB Cooper profile image75
      I am DB Cooperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"a man who was not raised as an American (if you grow up in Hawaii, you are more accurately raised as  Hawaiian), and who despises everything that has made America great."

What??? Is there a reason why Hawaii's child-rearing is less American? Is it just because it's different? Every part of the country has its own peculiarities. Hawaiians surf and eat pineapples. People from New Jersey go to the gym and then the tanning salon. Is one stereotype more American than the other?

What in particular are the things Obama despises that have made America great? Was there a specific period when America reached its peak greatness?

1. BillyDRitchie profile image61
        BillyDRitchieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

He still dislikes the free markets and private enterprise

He still believes that the economy should be planned by a central government

He still believes that our nation is no more exceptional that, as he has said, Greece.

He still harbors an intense resentment toward America for what he believes to be it's role in the colonization of Africa.

He still believes that America's greatness comes from government, not from free people living and producing together under the protection of the Constitution.

He still believes that the Constitution is an inconvenient document

He is still a man who spent his childhood years being raised in cultures where American history was not part of the learning experience, or a footnote at best.

He still believes that the tax code should be used to seize one person's property to give to another out of a sense of "fairness."

And ... perhaps most importantly ... Barack Obama is still a man who believes it is his mission to "Radically Transform The United States of America."

I'd like to see some of those supposed Obama beliefs supported by some evidence.

On a completely unrelated note, the stimulus (which was started by Bush, and I'll give credit where credit is due) was an overwhelming success, the country has be gradually climbing back from the recession (which ended 18 months ago), and the Dow just passed 12,000.

I suppose the sky is still falling in your neck of the woods.

1. BillyDRitchie profile image61
            BillyDRitchieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If this is what you call success, then I admire your optimism.....

2. profile image57

You have to admit that the DOW is NOT the only indicator. Unemployment, real estate and commodities(combined) play a larger role. During tough economic times the "market" as indicated by the DOW, NYSE, NASDAQ will fluctuate. Increases in it's indexes do not always translate to an improving economy.

Oh I agree. The NASDAQ has gone from 1,293 in March of '09 to 2,743 today. The S&P was at 683 in March of '09. It's at 1,297 today. If you're invested in the stock market with any diversity (even if you're a "dartboard stock picker"), you've been making money over the past 2 years. That doesn't mean that people aren't still struggling. Many have lost their jobs, and many of those jobs aren't coming back.

I think the best course of action would be to reestablish higher tax rates in the upper brackets. They don't need to be at "golden age" 1950's levels (90% and up in some brackets!), but there's no reason the rich can't be paying a higher rate than the middle class. A 5% increase on the top bracket would make a huge difference. Government spending needs to be reduced as well. Start with the military (which is already being done, but to a very small degree), as that's the biggest piece of the pie for non-committed funds. Freezing federal employee salaries is a good start as well. They already get great benefits and a good salary.

I would also propose an increase in government spending in some areas. There should be some sort of a tax incentive program for companies that create new jobs. I prefer this direct government involvement in job creation as opposed to just giving the rich tax breaks and saying "oh, the rich create more jobs than the middle class", a notion that relatively few economists agree with.

1. profile image57

I agree with the tax increases. Not as a matter of SOP, but rather as a matter of fiscal emergency. Of course we would have to have huge spending cuts and trade reform. I wouldn't start with the military too, end the wars. We don't need troops in Afghanistan or Iraq to kill terrorist......

8. lovemychris profile image75

Good for Country = Bad for Republicans

Going on 2 years and counting.......
    You tell me what they care about!!

9. sir slave profile image60
    sir slaveposted 13 years ago

GOOD speech. but full of the same old yes we can promises, like green energy... mabey he should just come out there and tell everyone were owned by the banks and that were F***ed!
    I liked when he hit home here in N.cali with the Salmon story!
    he was right on that point! we already have a dept. of smoked though......its called the defense dept.

10. Mighty Mom profile image77

THANK YOU DB COOPER!
    The single biggest contributor to the deficit is the Bush tax cuts.
    And I noticed the Dow just passed 12,000 as well.
    Conveniently, the people supposedly care about "free enterprise" and "capitalism" and "corporate sovreignty" can't admit that things are looking UP.
    Obama entered office in a deep, deep hole.
    He has made smart moves -- despite almost unilateral resistance from the GOP.
    His plans make good social sense AND good business sense.
    But you guys are so entrenched in HATING everything the man stands for and everthing the man does, that you refuse to see even one good thing.
    And you call yourselves "good Americans"? Pshaw.

11. lovemychris profile image75

I kind of think he's telling the banks...you're F'ed!
    He definitely told Koch to kiss it where the sun don't shine....

Unless there's a plot to let Koch take hold of all the Renewable Energy.
    Which could very well be possible.....but I don't think so. smile

I think the Common Man's Time has Come!!

12. Mighty Mom profile image77

Rising to the highest level it has reached since mid 2008 is significant!!
    So are articles that quote economists who have revised their growth predictions for the US economy upward (USA Today).

No one, including POTUS, is saying we are out of the woods or even close. But we are moving in a positive direction.

One thing that could have an immediate effect on unemployment: I sure hope those tax cut extensions are used to hire American workers rather than sit in Swiss bank accounts, tho!
    Wasn't that the argument the GOP used???

1. Jim Hunter profile image61
      Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Wasn't that the argument the GOP used???"

No, the argument was its stupid to raise taxes during a recession.

But yet, the democrats wanted to.

Imagine that..

2. profile image57

Take a look at what the WSJ has to say about the "rally"

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 … Collection

As to your comment regarding tax cuts and jobs. NO, not going to happen. It's going to take a lot more than a few tax cuts to get business back to our shores. You know that.

13. Mighty Mom profile image77

The GOP thinks taxes are stupid no matter what the economy is doing. The fact is, the Bush tax cuts are the single biggest contributor to our deficit today.
    The pattern of reduced revenue coupled with out-of-control spending was started with Bush, remember? Bush who inherited a budget surplus from Clinton?
    But Obama is supposed to come in, wave his magic POTUS wand and make a silk purse out of a sow's ear? With immediate turn-around of the economy?
    Where are all the jobs those Bush tax cuts were supposed to provide?
    Aren't the rich supposed to use their tax cuts to reinvest in their businesses (you know, the glory of the American free enterprise system)? Isn't that the idea behind "trickle-down" economics? When the rich do well the largesse trickles down to the rest of us. Ha ha. More like tricked-down if you ask me!

1. profile image59

I know it is hard to see, but taxes are not the problem!  Spending is the problem.  When you have a budget issue at home, do you go to your boss and tell him at gun point he has to give you a raise, or do you cut your spending?  I know what I'd do.  My boss would just laugh if I asked for more money out of the blue.

14. Mighty Mom profile image77

Yes, I know it's a long, uphill climb to bring jobs back to America and the fix is not a simplistic "dump the minimum wage."
    Cutting spending alone will not solve the deficit problem. There is tax money out there that is owed to the government and it's time those who are living in loopholeland paid their fair share.

I'm sure the 12,000 rally will not last, but that article shows a lot of positive indicators (at least for 2011).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)