jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

What do you think about what Obama said today?

1. figment profile image78
    figmentposted 6 years ago
  2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago

...ha ha......what did he say?....i'm not up on wazup in the US today!

figmentposted 6 years ago in reply to this
  3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60

...i read your other thread....

...well...it appears he's 'up for' some 'shifts' into prevention rather than spending a bunch of money on intervention...such as sending folks to jail because of 'drugs' in general....i don't get the impression that he's really up for legalizing the herb...but it looks like he wants to talk about some things......

....and shifts translates into moving money into prevention...the folks on the intervention side will not be happy about 'cuts'...in Canada we use that word 'shift' too much...it's a good thing in terms of prevention...you know, the folks who have a serious addiction to narcotics and wanting help...

in Canada...we all know prevention is the answer to many things...but we seem to focus on the intervention...which is normally at the point of 'high risk' situations...kind of like putting money into putting fires out rather than putting money into preventing fires...that's a generalization I know....

4. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60

...where'd ya go....you got one burning?...pass it over wuldya?

figmentposted 6 years ago in reply to this

puff puff pass http://www.pointsincase.com/files/images/weed-blunt.jpg

5. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 6 years ago

It definitely deserves discussion. Prohibition didn't work -- it just drove the market for alcohol underground and increased crime. Similar situation now. Our prisons (at least here in CA) are chock full of drug offenders.
    Locking someone up will never solve their drug habit (unless they decide to get clean/sober in prison).
    I'm not advocating legalizing hard core drugs like heroin.
    I'd love to see society shift its resources from enforcement to  treatment.
    Sounds like law enforcement officials agree.
    Let's start the dialogue!
    BTW, marijuana is a HUGE money maker. The government could tax the hell out of it like they do booze and ciggies. Sin tax, I think they call it.... Deficit? What deficit? lol

working