How prepared are we?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)
  1. profile image0
    jerrylposted 13 years ago

About 15 years ago, my neighbor and approximately 100 of her church friends staged an emergency in a local hospital.

The had 60 or 70 people wrapped up in bandages with various
    supposed injuries and illnesses.  Their intention was to test
    the readiness of the hospital and medical profession in our neighborhood.

When they ran into the hospital, a lot of the medical people complained that they didn't have time for such nonsense.  To the credit of the chief of hospital staff, he told his staff that they had better make time to handle this situation like it was a real emergency.  He even went so far as to call in extra medical people, doctors included.

This got me to thinking about what would happen if we had a devastating earthquake or some other huge disaster?

If there was wide devastation, do you know where to go to get needed medicines? Insulin, blood thinners, dialysis etc..

Are there any designated locations for people to report to in your area that you are aware of?  What about food and water?

Has your city, county or state government made known to the public any plans for such emergencies?

Does FEMA have designated emergency supply depot areas in all
    heavy populated areas? 

Do we have any plans at all?

How prepared are we?  I seriously doubt that most people have a clue.

I tried submitting these questions to a local television so-called investigative team, and got no results.

Your thoughts?

1. John Holden profile image61
      John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You'd have an awful lot of casualties whilst the hospital checked peoples eligibility for health care.

2. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

The hospitals have trauma staff  in place, manned given for a certain level of Care. (amount of people) They have means to bring in staff and beef up for any emergency, but it really has to be a true emergency, They will not show you that just because. If there is an issue you see, not fear, but an issue. That goes before your Council to be heard, and before the Public Health Commission.

They protect that because if some group or person  intended to do harm, they possibly could interrupt that. Or deliberately destroy the supplies, then cause a disaster, and thus no supplies to respond with.

Doing what you are doing, intruding into Government preparedness‘, may get you investigated, so be careful.

FEMA responds only on a nationally declared disaster or a State or Local City Government declared disaster, or event. Just doing what your neighbors did would not activate that preparedness’ tree response.

If you want to see it, and what they have. Then present a concerned citizen petition and it has to be a verified one, not just 50 signatures, but a real majority. Then ask your councilmen and women for a valid test, with citizens participating. Or a print out of the plan for you to see.

If they approve it and The State and FEMA approve it,  and the local office reports its ok in their budgets...then you will see it.

Otherwise ask FEMA when they will be doing their scheduled “required” emergency drills. If they say they have nothing scheduled, call your State Senator for the complaint. Be prepared for questions however.

Your Federal Senator and Congressmen and Women will not help, unless it is for the good of their re-election, so your success would be a state level thing, but still very un-likely.

They will probly invite you in to the Office of Prepairdness and go over the plan at a low security level to answer your fears, thats what they usually do.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image61
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

I don't like this "we" nonsense.

How prepared is the hospital next-door. That's fine.

How prepared are you as a group? That's fine.

We? Stop it. I don't own a hospital, neither do you.

1. profile image0
      jerrylposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Evan, Why don't you grow up?  Anyone with half a brain would understand that I was referring to the public as a whole, and not you, or myself  individually!  Do you deliberately trying to undermine  others threads with your childish nonsense?  If you do not want to be counted as part of the public, that's fine with me. 

I brought up a serious topic, and you felt the need to use misdirection.  Have a great day.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61
        Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Anyone with half a brain would understand that I was referring to the public as a whole, and not you, or myself  individually!"

No S&%! Sherlock. That's what I was arguing against.

"the public as a whole" is a dangerous concept, and I'm pointing that out right now. Collectivism is slavery.

Quit being so directly mean in your responses. It's not my fault you can't understand arguments that YOU didn't think up.

3. Aficionada profile image78
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

When my son had to attend a City Council meeting as part of a government class assignment, I went along out of curiosity.

One item on the agenda was the presentation of exactly such a plan that covered several different governmental groups (a couple of cities, the surrounding county, etc.).  All kinds of details were included, such as sewage management, and more.  It was a plan that had taken several years to put together, and a part of the process was brainstorming ideas about what types of emergencies might occur, whether natural or manmade events.

That's where the "we" part comes in, I think.  There are certain levels where the outcome of our government and taxpaying choices do unite us, either voluntarily or involuntarily.  And I certainly want them to have the foresight to consider the appropriate response to crises at that level (destroyed roads and bridges, tainted water supplies, etc.).

But I also emphatically agree that we need more preparedness at the individual, family, and local community level as well.

4. aware profile image65
    awareposted 13 years ago

Plain to see who will fall  into conflict and   dog eat dog ways.we will    be  armed.

5. AnnCee profile image67
    AnnCeeposted 13 years ago
  6. brimancandy profile image79
    brimancandyposted 13 years ago

All you have to do is look at what happened during hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, and you immediately see where the Government cares, and that is to protect the assets of the rich.
    While they stacked the poor like cordwood, and are still doing nothing for them. Just look at how fast they were playing football in the arena there, and how a good majority of the walmart stores were rebuilt, while people's homes are still left un-repaired and the home owners are still living in Fema trailors.

Then they complain that the hundreds and thousands of people who were re-located didn't want to go back. So, the tax renue that they could have received from those people was lost. BOO! HOO! If FEMA would have stomped on the insurance companies to fix the damaged homes that they refused to repair due to using slick wording in the contracts to deny them being forfilled, they never would have been in the mess they are in now.

I was amazed to learn that the Six Flags park in New Orleans is still sitting in ruin, because they decided not to rebuild, yet the city still wants 1.9 million a year from them for the property taxes. It's all a sad joke.

Another thing that pissed me off, is them wasting our tax dollars having miltary untis drive through the wealthy neighborhoods to make sure that there wasn't any looting. Not even allowing the owners of those homes into their own houses, and taking away the weapons of people who were trying to defend their own property, and carting them off to shelters. But, the shelters they went to were better funded, and they got better care than where everyone else ended up.

So, no, they are not ready to help. Unless you're rich.

7. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

i am ready to resort to cannibalism at a moments notice!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)