Today is the Day of Silence

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (35 posts)
  1. dingdondingdon profile image59
    dingdondingdonposted 13 years ago

For those who don't know, the Day of Silence is about taking a vow of silence to raise awareness about the bullying LGBT students face. There's more info here: http://dayofsilence.com/

1. cindi h profile image59
      cindi hposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes!  My daughter is a junior in high school and she told me about this yesterday. She was excited to participate today as she has many friends who are gay. It is really funny because she will carry a card around with her all day stating that she is participating in the day of silence so if she is asked a question by any of her teachers, she can just flash the card!!

dingdondingdonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your daughter sounds like a fine young woman. smile It's very heartening to see the amount of young people taking part.

2. BillyDRitchie profile image60
    BillyDRitchieposted 13 years ago

Oh dear Lord in heaven.  Somebody had better stop before I find myself standing here up to my ankles in a puddle full of tears.

Most of us went through bullying at some form or another growing up, and for various reasons.  Bullying is a terrible part of childhood to be sure, but gay and lesbian kids don't have the victim market cornered.

Sorry, no sympathy here.

There's a B and a T in LGBT, so stop saying "gay and lesbian".

Nobody is saying they have the victim market cornered. They are saying LGBT students are killed and kill themselves at higher rates than hetero students thanks to bullying, which statistics prove. So.

1. BillyDRitchie profile image60
        BillyDRitchieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps they could try standing up to bullying, which is what I'm sure most people will testify worked for them.

Or is it just easier to portray themselves as a victim?

So it's their fault? I'm sure Nick Keto, who was just 13 when he shot himself because he couldn't stand the bullying anymore, didn't weigh up the odds and decide death was "just easier" than "standing up to it". Sadly sometimes standing up to your bullies doesn't work.

Not to mention many ARE standing up to it. That's what the Day of Silence is about - standing up to bullies.

No, it isn't their fault.  Bullying is a terrible thing.  But it is also something most of us have had to deal with, and claiming that your brand of suffering is somehow worse for whatever silly reason is another example of how we have devolved into a nation of candy asses.....

Nobody is claiming it is worse. I don't know where you are getting that from. They are claiming that it happens, which it does, and that it should not happen, which it should not. If you would like to see a day of silence for people who are bullied because they are poor or because they are bad at a subject or for any other reason you are quite free to create your own day, and I'm sure many people would be happy to mark it with you.

Well, seeing as how a day of silence does, let's see, NOTHING to solve the problem of bullying, I think I'll stick with advising my son to walk away from such situations when he can and defending himself as he needs to if he finds himself in a bullying situation.

Or does that make too much sense?

You don't have to do one or the other. That's a strawman argument.

The Day of Silence is meant to raise awareness. If nobody knows about a problem how are they meant to tackle it? It's also meant to show solidarity, so people who have gone through this bullying can see that they are not alone, and plenty of people support them.

2. Daniel Carter profile image62
                  Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are just a lot of red flags here.

You are either a part of the problem or a part of the solution. What you've written is pretty clear.

I don;t bully gays and lesbians or transgenders or Buddhists or flutists or nudists or whatever, so I'm not a part of the problem.

I also refuse to take part in ridiculous "days of silence" that do nothing to solve the problem.

I'm trying really hard to get worked up over this, and dang it, I'm failing......Sorry about that.

2. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Let me guess. Conservative Christian? lol lol

Let me guess, bleeding heart liberal?

3. cindi h profile image59

oh Billy Billy  And you were bullied or the bully?  No sympathy? Really? None for the crass, intolerable world we are all a part of?  This was to be a beautiful thread and you've soiled it with your 'hatred'.

1. cindi h profile image59

Better to be in a puddle of tears than  BLOOD

2. BillyDRitchie profile image60

Everybody has experience with bullying.  Its part of growing up.  Most of us learn to deal with it.  The fact that a certain group of candy asses cannot bring themselves to do so should cut no ice with anybody who actually survived childhood.....

1. Mighty Mom profile image78
          Mighty Momposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Bullying was not nearly as widespread when I (and I assume you, Billy) were growing up. It is much more common now and with the Internet and cell phones, it's a lot easier to do and a lot more public when it happens.
          There are kids being taunted to the point of suicide.
          We're not talking one tough guy saying, "Hey punk meet me after school and I'll teach you a lesson."
          We're talking about groups of kids (girls, often) spreading vicious lies about other kids over the Internet.
          Whole nuther level of viciousness.

We did not have anti-bullying progams when we were in school either. Because we did not go to school in today's environment.

The hatred leveled against GLBTs (tweens, teens and adults) is REAL. It is brutal. It is lethal.
          Bravo to those participating to raise awareness and SENSITIVITY on this issue!

1. DTR0005 profile image61
            DTR0005posted 13 years agoin reply to this

And thus one of the many fundamental differences in conservative and liberal thinking. Nice response from Billy - lolllllll

2. John Holden profile image60
            John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And nothing like as vicious either.

To compare fists, chinese burns, knuckling and the like to stabbing, shooting or even just a good old kicking is incredibly naive.

2. cindi h profile image59

The fact that everyone has had some experience with bullying may be correct, but that is is part of life is WRONG! It should not be ignored or accepted and that is what the day of silence is meant to do. Let the bullies of the world know that it will not be ignored or accepted anymore. Bullying of any kind, not just against gays and lesbians.

3. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

If you have a friend or family member who is LGBT, if you've listened to their self hate, and then the hate heaped upon them in addition to their own, then you wish you could remove all that crap for them. If you don't have a friend or family member who is LGBT, then it's incredibly easy to assume a lot of things that aren't accurate.

Yes, bullying happens to everyone. That point is clear. But the incidences to bullying, death and suicide are higher among LGBT people for very obvious reasons due to bigotry, religious abuse and more.

Honoring with a bit of silence is about being human. If you're human, there is no harm in you recognizing any part of this. If you choose not to, fine. But please don't belittle and mock those who do.

Exactly.

I remember reading a study that revealed suicide attempts are extremely high amongst bisexual and lesbian women, far higher than those amongst heterosexual women. This is not a coincidence.

1. Daniel Carter profile image62

And, transgendered are the highest category of premature deaths, whether suicide, substance abuse, murder, and more. Unless you've ever met and befriended a transgendered person, you have absolutely no concept of what it is, other than "weird."

Just imagine yourself trapped in a body when you know you are the opposite gender. And yet people continue to mock and point about it.

Um, it's very simple, if you have a penis, you're a guy.  If you have a vagina, you're a woman.

Gender is a hard thing to "argue".  Sorry about that.

And remind me again how a day of silence is "part of the solution"?

I rest my case.

The only cure for ignorance is a desire for knowledge. When desire is not there, ignorance persists, along with all the associated ills of society.

My work here is done.

If you are talking about promoting a do nothing "solution", then yeah, I'd say your work is done.....

4. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Mark and Billy, one doesn't have to be a Christian or a "bleeding heart liberal" to have compassion and empathy for others. I support the Day of Silence, and I'm a Christian and definitely not a bleeding heart liberal.

Yes, Billy, many groups and individuals are targets of bullies. Does that mean it should just be ignored? I think this strategy sends a message to the LGBT haters in schools.

5. DannyMaio profile image59
    DannyMaioposted 13 years ago

If people want to have a day for something let them! Personally I feel if parents actually teach their kids right from wrong then there will be less bullying. also anyone who killed themselves for bullying had to have other issues, that may have added to it but I doubt highly they killed themselves because of that and If they were able to talk to their parents they could have eliminated most problems. As far as the Gay issue I personally do not care what anyone wants to do as long as they don't flaunt it. obviously it is a genetic mishap because if everyone was born like that we would not exist. two men or two women can not reproduce. No one should bully, torture, beat or abuse anyone! Just treat everyone with respect.

Just a little obvious point here.
      There is no lack of children who are born unintentionally, so the idea that the gay or lesbian population taking over the world, and thus against nature for reasons of procreation just doesn't add up. It's a nonsense.

Bullying does cause suicides, whether a person is straight or otherwise. So the other issues in addition to bullying that cause suicide are not related to gender issues at all. It's a transparent, universal problem. Most LGBT kids don't have the luxury of talking to their parents openly about it. And for that matter, what teens do you know are willing to talk to their parents because they have such a great relationship?

But I get that you are respectful of others, and that is a wonderful thing.

1. DannyMaio profile image59
        DannyMaioposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I never meant to come accross as the gay population taking over? First that can never happen as I stated they can not reproduce. I'm not against anyone. I love everyone, also I believe every father some where down the line has a gay or lesbian cousin, uncle, aunt or whatever.

Again if parents actually took some time and talked to their kids the kids would be able to speak to the parents. If a child doesn't feel comfortable then personally I do not think they really did a good job. I have four kids and everyone knew they can talk to me anytime. I told them nobody is perfect and everyone makes mistakes but if you use your head most times you can avoid problems. I told them if you drink, I do not care what time it is you call me before getting in a car with someone or you are driving and I will come and pick up up! had the sex talks at age 12 etc... they talk to me about everything and I have received phone calls to come and pick them up when one was 19. so it does work. My mother did the same to me. I just think if everyone taught at an early age things would be different. just my opinion.

If I came off defensive, it's because I've taken a lot of crap in defending loved ones in this category. So, thanks for understanding.

smile

1. DannyMaio profile image59
            DannyMaioposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can Imagine! a lot of people are cruel today. I see it quite often. gay, fat, race etc... it is horrible but like I said I think if People want to have children they should take care of them, show them love and teach them right from wrong. If that was done we would not be seeing all this nonsense. You can have a day for anything but you if do not get to the root of the problem it will not get fixed! what happens a week or a month from now and everyone forgets this day? back to square one.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)