Fast for Troy Davis

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (77 posts)
  1. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

I'm sure you've heard about this case. He is scheduled to be killed at 7:00pm. tonight. People are holding a fast today and sending out hope for a stay.
    He says they can take his body, he has already given his spirit to God.

I say this is the most terrible injustice on Earth. But it has been going on forever here in America...

Corruption, while holding people's life in your hands. For Shame.

"pervasive, persistent doubts" about his guilt, said William S. Sessions, a former federal district judge in Texas and FBI director under Presidents Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton, in a sharply-worded editorial on Thursday.

"Serious questions about Mr. Davis' guilt, highlighted by witness recantations, allegations of police coercion, and a lack of relevant physical evidence, continue to plague his conviction," Sessions wrote. He urged a state pardons board to commute the sentence to life in prison.

"I am not proud for lying at Troy's trial, but the police had me so messed up that I felt that's all I could do or else I would go to jail," one key eyewitness told Davis' attorneys in an affidavit.

It's not only politicians who need an overhaul, it's the police, judges, prosecutors...the whole system! Convict at all cost.

This is a sad day....I will be crying all day, and wondering: What happened to my country????

2. lovemychris profile image76

Democracy Now! to report on #TroyDavis case live from Georgia tonight from 6-8pm EDT. STREAM: http://owl.li/6AtG4 Special 2-Hour Broadcast

3. lady_love158 profile image60
    lady_love158posted 12 years ago

There's no doubt this man is a violent killer who had a blatant disregard for human life and you think we should show mercy? Why? What has he done to deserve it?

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Apparently some people feel doubt, or are just against killing people.

lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There s no proof of it AT ALL!

They convicted on witness testimony, which has since been rencanted.

I'm glad you believe so much in the goodness of the State.....NOT ME.

I've seen first-hand the corruption and lying that go on in what passes for "justice".

Convict at all costs  is the motto. Who can win. Nothing to do with justice, or the truth.

And not any kind of redemption for the victim, to murder the wrong man.

1. lady_love158 profile image60
        lady_love158posted 12 years agoin reply to this

No there is proof. Shell casings at multiple sites of the crime spree Mr. Davis went on before meeting up with the off duty cop and father of two whose life he took for nothing.

Well, I guess you know better than a federal district judge and FBI director under Reagan and HW Bush.....

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What have you done to deserve mercy?  I demand that you show proof that you aren't a violent killer, and that you deserve mercy for anything.  Quit being a tool.

4. Doc Snow profile image87
      Doc Snowposted 12 years agoin reply to this

On the contrary--the whole point is that there is grave doubt.  I think the balance of probabilities is that Sylvester Coles was the real shooter.

A woman came out and said as much. She said that Coles was drinking heavily at a party and confessed to killing the police officer. But, according to her, he said, "Troy will have to take this one...I have kids to raise"

Apparently, after she came out with this, Coles threatened her, and she went into hiding.

4. lovemychris profile image76

Yes, Capital Punishment is MURDER.

5. lovemychris profile image76

STAY!!!!!!

6. Hollie Thomas profile image61
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

LMC, I'm not familiar with US jargon, stay as in stay of execution?

Yes first they said it was stayed, now they don't know. He hasn't been executed yet, but they are waiting to hear from the Board of Pardons and the Supreme Court.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
        Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How long till they announce? This is at least hope though?

They just said it is now a reprieve, not a stay....can last from 72 hrs up to a week.

But for sure, if they kill him, it will be a murder with a boat-load of reasonable doubt.

And the world will know it.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
            Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely, but for ptes sake, he's waited long enough for an outcome. Fingers crossed LMC, fingers crossed.

They can't kill him now. Bad press smile

That's what it takes in this day and age.

That's what I have to do for my friend.

Cause he has a boat-load of reasonable doubt too.
              And this has given me hope for him!

Now, they need to give Davis a new trial, and make it FAIR this time!

7. lovemychris profile image76

Clarence Thomas was the one who stopped it.....

Now I KNOW this is the Apacolypse.

1. TamCor profile image80
      TamCorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why?

And by the way, I do agree with you on this--I don't agree with the death penalty.

I'm not familiar with this case, but if it is as you say, I hope he gets a chance at a new trial.

8. livelonger profile image85
    livelongerposted 12 years ago

You should only execute if there is incontrovertible proof of guilt.

Troy Davis's case is not one of them.

I hope the reprieve leads to exoneration, since there doesn't seem to be enough evidence to even keep him locked up, much less execute him.

1. Aficionada profile image78
      Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.  Execution is permanent.

1. livelonger profile image85
        livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Reminds me of that terrific movie (and Philip K Dick short story) Minority Report - sometimes a justice system that seems perfect isn't. At least in the movie, they were able to release the prisoners, since they hadn't killed them.

1. habee profile image93
          habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ever seen The Life of David Gale, with Kevin Spacey? Great movie!

I haven't - never even heard of it - but now I'll check it out!

2. Aficionada profile image78

I have the movie, but I haven't read the short story.  I guess I'd better check it out.  smile

I think Spielberg, Cruise, and the others do it justice. smile

1. Aficionada profile image78

Wow - that's impressive. And encouraging.

But then, with Spielberg at the helm it is also predictably impressive. 

And speaking of predictions, there's that one great scene with the ball rolling off the conveyor....

It is probably one of my favorite movies of all times. The whole film is masterful. Yes, that scene is great. smile

9. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

I've been thinking of Davis all day and praying. I'm against the death penalty, especially in a case like this.

10. lawretta profile image63
    lawrettaposted 12 years ago

killing a human being is wrong no matter how its painted. worse come to it, they could jail him for life but i personally don't support human killing! it's murder!

11. livelonger profile image85
    livelongerposted 12 years ago

Just read that Davis was executed. Thoroughly disgusted. sad

1. habee profile image93

I wish I hadn't read this. I'm really ashamed of my home state, and I'm so sorry for Davis' family.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings. sad

The only silver lining is that this is bringing to light failures in our criminal justice system that shouldn't exist if it's executing people. No one would want someone they love to be killed by the state on a "maybe."

1. habee profile image93

Why couldn't they just leave him locked up until they were sure?? WHY did they have to kill him today?? It's cases like this one that really get me riled up about the death penalty.

Me too.

I'm against the death penalty in general (killers could be studied to understand the pathology behind murder, and, besides, it's cheaper, as strange as that sounds), but especially since it's applied even when the killer is claiming innocence, and there are irregularities with testimony and evidence. When are we 100% sure?

I would rather it be abolished altogether. Like AI's Moye says in Aficionada's post, maybe this is a nail in the death penalty's coffin.

"It is better to set 1000 guilty people free than to kill 1 innocent person." (Maimonides)

2. TamCor profile image80

I couldn't believe it when I got up this morning and saw this...

I thought he got some sort of delay?  What--was it a delay in HOURS?

Like I said before--I'm not familiar with this case, but it scares me, just from what I've heard on here about it, that a man can still be put to death when there are so many questions about his guilt...

I hate the death penalty.  At least a "Lifer" can be released if he is someday proven innocent. 

This man will never get that option.

Amen.

12. Aficionada profile image78
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

From the Yahoo article:

"Laura Moye of Amnesty International said the execution would be 'the best argument for abolishing the death penalty.'"

"'The state of Georgia is about to demonstrate why government can't be trusted with the power over life and death,' she said."

1. habee profile image93

That's what I've been saying for years! Will we ever be advanced enough to stop killing each other willingly??

13. rachellrobinson profile image85
    rachellrobinsonposted 12 years ago

"I say this is the most terrible injustice on Earth. But it has been going on forever here in America..." and yet you are okay with abortion which is truly killing an innocent life.
    "This is a sad day....I will be crying all day, and wondering: What happened to my country????" While you are at it try shedding a tear for the nearly 100,000 lives lost daily to abortion.

I see where your head is at.....to me, there is no comparison. Sorry if that upsets your world view.

A living, breathing, innocent man was killed by the state.

You want to change the subject? Why? You think what happened was right?

....let me geuss.........

1. rachellrobinson profile image85
        rachellrobinsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't say that I think the execution of Troy Davis was right, but I do think it is highly hypocritical that the same liberals who scream Troy Davis is murder will insist that abortion is alright. I am not sure Troy Davis was guilty of murder but I know he was a lot less innocent than any fetus that you on the left kill for a woman's right to do what she will with her body.

Just as I think it's hypocritical for those on the right, who cheer for people being executed, will say they are Pro-Life.

It's a shame about freedom isn't it? That means I do have the right to do what I will with my body--sans YOUR state orders!

Now--we are talking about Troy Davis, not your religious beliefs!

Not wanting innocent people to die is a religious belief? You started out saying it saddens you that an innocent man has to die, all I said is perhaps you could shed a tear for  the other 100,000 innocent lives taken yesterday.

1. TamCor profile image80

We were discussing Troy Davis, not abortion.  Maybe you could start another thread about that, and keep this one on topic.  smile

Thank you TamCor...

This is a very sad day....I know I'm going to have a good cry on my way to work.
                Thank God it's a long drive.

2. habee profile image93

I'm against the death penalty, and I'm not a liberal. I also hate abortion and think it should be done only in rare cases.

I find myself in the unusual position here of agreeing with LMC: how can the far right, who claim to champion life so much, cheer about executions? On the other hand, I don't understand how some on the far left can be so against the death penalty but have no problem with "abortion on demand." I value human life - the unborn and those on death row.

1. kerryg profile image84
                kerrygposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just wanted to say, habee, my respect for you has always been very high and now it's jumped several more levels. I wish everybody - conservative and liberal - was as principled as you. smile

However, I do think it's a bit unfair to say that we on the far left "have no problem" with abortion on demand. On a personal level, I'm strongly opposed to abortions of convenience, I just think that outlawing them is the worst possible way of dealing with the problem.

1. habee profile image93

Thank you. Notice, however, that I said "some" on the far left. I know that most people - even extreme liberals - are not "for" abortion. Personally, I hate abortion, but I know what would happen if Roe v Wade was overturned. Women were getting abortions long before they were safe and legal. I don't want us to return to septic "back alley" abortions.

I've never understood this, either: some on the far right are totally against abortion, while being totally against birth control for teens at the same time. As a retired high school teacher, I know that teens are going to have sex. Wouldn't it be better for them to have protected sex?? I've said this before - the high school lockers should be filled with condoms!!

1. kerryg profile image84
                    kerrygposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"As a retired high school teacher, I know that teens are going to have sex. Wouldn't it be better for them to have protected sex??"

Amen to that! I'm all for teaching teens that abstinence is best, but they need to be taught how to protect themselves, too. Even if they do listen to you and choose abstinence as teens, they won't be abstinent forever and I don't know that many married/committed couples who want 14 children either. Better to know in advance how to plan your family than wait until you've had one too many accidents you can't afford.

2. Doc Snow profile image87
                  Doc Snowposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes.  I've found it ironic that those who usually support individual choice in all things, and oppose any kind of state interest as being in the least legitimate, will then advocate that a pregnant woman's most meaningful choices be severely constrained by the legislative hand of the state.

There's a lot more to be said about this, but it is, as several folks said, a whole other topic.

2. rachellrobinson profile image85

Habee: That was my point. I don't understand how anyone can be for abortion and against the death penalty. To me they are both legalized murder.
                TamCor: To answer your question, I realize this is about Troy Davis, I just wanted to point out LMC's hypocrisy in crying for a man on death row and championing abortion.

Remind me to say you are championing the Death Penalty, will you?

Do you righty's EVER not slander and smear??? EVER?

What about my posts are slanderous? Do you even know what that word means? How did I smear you?

14. lovemychris profile image76

"I have such a deep sadness right now. My heart is so heavy. This is so unrighteous it hurts to my soul#troydavisisme"

We are all Troy Davis, until we make this right.

15. lovemychris profile image76

"truthfighter1 warren ballentine
    Troy I swear from this day on I will make it my mission to get people elected who will not kill innocent people#ulivenmealways"

16. xander09 profile image54
    xander09posted 12 years ago

It is indeed, very sad to know that every day a lot of innocent people die.

17. John Holden profile image61
    John Holdenposted 12 years ago

It's cruel enough to execute a man,more so when there is doubt, which in this case there was plenty of, but almost cruellest of all is to keep a man in suspense for twenty years. Even if Troy Davis was guilty, he did not heap such terror on his victim.

Barbaric! And you count yourselves as world leaders!

Yes, we get that. And if you hadn't noticed, we're not exactly crowing about ourselves as world leaders here. hmm

1. John Holden profile image61
        John Holdenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My comments were more general than specific to hub pages.

Mine were too.

OK.

18. Ralph Deeds profile image66
    Ralph Deedsposted 12 years ago

All we can do as a result of Davis' lynching by the Georgia death machine is hope that it will lend impetus to the eventual abolition of capital punishment so that the US can join the rest of the civilized world.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
      Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Georgia.  Texans does not need their impressive stats padded.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66
        Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. Error corrected.

2. livelonger profile image85

My sentiments exactly.

19. Manly Man profile image60
    Manly Manposted 12 years ago

Manly men don't believe in capital punishment.

20. Hollie Thomas profile image61
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

Exactly, they believe in their fellow men.

1. lady_love158 profile image60
      lady_love158posted 12 years agoin reply to this

This guy was executed the same day as Troy but nobody tried to stop it... I guess you all think he didn't deserve to die for what he did either?

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/21/te … -executed/

"executed by lethal execution"

I thought that was the point of execution, that it was lethal!

If anyone wanted to try and stop it, they could have done the same!

And you know something I find telling?

The family of that man who was dragged from the back of a pick-up truck until he died....
        They did not want the accused killer to be put to death!
        Yet, the police officer's family were calling for Davis's execution.
        Except for the grandson, I think.

Just gives me pause.

1. S Leretseh profile image60
          S Leretsehposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I believe Lawrence  Brewer got exactly what he deserved.

Chris, you want to know what gives me pause? Three presidents hv referenced the Robert Byrd incident,  no president has referenced the  Patricia Stansfield incident.  I wonder why?

For those who don't know, Patricia Stansfield , a 46-year-old-white female, was the unfortunate victim selected by a black male, Christopher Coleman, on August 14, 1998, in Streator, Ill., to be 'Robert Byrd' i.e. dragged to death.  She was abducted in public, tied to the bumper of his car, then,  still very much alive, dragged to her death. Apparently, Coleman deliberately picked an overwhelming white community to do his dragging murder  ... to teach white people a lesson. 

Coleman did not receive a death sentence.  Nor did he - his hate crime - receive a peep from the MSM. I wonder why?

http://books.google.com/books?id=vgHgNs … mp;f=false

I don't know what it takes to get attention...if I did, I'd be screaming for my friend!

But Troy Davis had the support of Jimmy Carter, the former Pope, The former president of the Soviet Union, the former judge and fbi director under Reagan, Bush and Clinton, Desmond Tutu...many many more.

His sister, who loved him so much, is the one who did it all. She is the one who fought for Troy so much that got him all this media.
            Maybe that's the key.

You need someone who really loves you.
            And won't give up.

21. S Leretseh profile image60
    S Leretsehposted 12 years ago

chris, police found articles of clothing at Troy Davis' mother's home, in the wash machine, that directly linked him to the crime. Davis claimed he was at the crime scene but fled before another black male executed the white police officer. The blood splatter on Davis' shirt confirmed to police he was right there when the shooting took place.  However, an improper search was determined by the trial judge and that evidence was excluded. Still, the prosecutor had way more than enough evidence to get a conviction. Seven blacks sat on the jury. No question Davis pulled the trigger.

That is not what I read....where are you getting that information?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)