Sign Petition to Pres. Obama to veto S.1867

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (42 posts)
  1. Quilligrapher profile image72
    Quilligrapherposted 12 years ago

You are urged to sign now: https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/% … hank-you=p

we petition the obama administration to:
    We the People demand that Obama veto the S. 1867 Bill which views all American Citizens as a terroristic threat.
    s. 1867 is a bill that passed the senate which views all Americans as possible terrorists. Any American Citizen, under this bill, can be detained and held indefinitely with out a trial, for something as simple as having a weeks worth of food in their home. This Bill will force American Soldiers to detain the citizens they have sworn to protect. We demand this Bill be Vetoed. This is the United States of America and we demand liberty and justice for all!

Quilligrapherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

24,370 additional signatures required.

Additional signatures required: 24,311

24, 134 additional signatures required.

The petition has 1,055 signatures and needs at least 23,945 more.

Just under 800 signatures in 24 hours.  Keep spreading the word.
              1,839 signatures; 23,161 to go.

Over 500 more today so far! To receive a White House reply the petition needs 1,000 per day before 12/31/11.
                2397 signatures, 22,603 to go.

2,752 signatures/ 22,248 to go!

At this rate, the petition is not likely to get a White House response.
                    2954 signatures to date / 22,046 to go.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've done it already. Great idea, urging Obama to veto the act. I've written both my senators.

3. 910chris profile image75
      910chrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The thing I fear most is that they will just reintroduce this into a bill in the future. If they really want it, they always find a way.

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's why it's very important to send a message to them NOW!

Eject ALL of them from office, this way anyone attempting to do this in the future will know they won't be in office if it's tried again.

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

I clicked your link and it says that the site is temporarily down. Go figure.

It wasn't working when I said it wasn't. However, signed.

3. Moderndayslave profile image59
    Moderndayslaveposted 12 years ago

What were they thinking? signed it.

4. Evan G Rogers profile image60
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

Signed it, unfortunately with such massive congressional support this won't matter EVEN IF Obama grows a pair.

Do you STILL feel represented by your representatives? Do you still feel that central government is a good thing?

Ron Paul and Rand Paul BOTH voted against this bill.

Voting your representatives out won't be good enough if this passes.

5. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

"However, on further reflection I conclude that the Obama regime’s objection to military detention is not rooted in concern for the constitutional rights of American citizens.  The regime objects to military detention because the implication of military detention is that detainees are prisoners of war. As Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman Carl Levin put it:  Should somebody determined “to be a member of an enemy force who has come to this nation or is in this nation to attack us as a member of a foreign enemy, should that person be treated according to the laws of war? The answer is yes.”

Detainees treated according to the laws of war have the protections of the Geneva Conventions. They cannot be tortured. The Obama regime opposes military detention, because detainees would have some rights.  These rights would interfere with the regime’s ability to send detainees to CIA torture prisons overseas.  This is what the Obama regime means when it says that the requirement of military detention denies the regime “flexibility.”

6. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

Here is a letter written by a Constitutional lawyer which explains in more detail why this bill is not in the best interest of our national security.  It's very well written.

http://www.independentsentinel.com/2011 … ll-s-1867/

{that site leans to the right, btw}

1. Evan G Rogers profile image60
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ron Paul explains it better.

It's "tyrannical", "unconstitutional", and will lead everyone "to hate us".

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is what I found at the official Bill Summary and Status page.
        http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d112:s.01867:

You can click http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c … 12lngSXp:: for text of legislation.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60
        Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just ****ing drop it Evan.  You're trying to hijack yet another thread to promote your Ron Paul nonsense.  The issue is the bill.  Conservatives, liberals, and moderates actually have an issue for once that should unite them, and you can't resist the temptation to resurrect Paul's dead on arrival candidacy.

LOLOL, did I make you upset, Ron? I'm ever so sorry - after all, I DO respect your opinion!!

HAhahahahahahah!! No, we both know that I really don't.

Ron: Both Paul's stood up to this bill in BOTH chambers of Congress. The libertarians that you make fun of keep voting the way you want them to.

Everyone's against this bill, but you keep voting for the same santorum into office.

Admit it, Ron. You voted for Obama looking for "CHANGE", but all that he's done is given you Bush on steroids. This bill is 50 times worse than the Patriot Act, and you're going to re-elect the bastard.

No. He isn't going to veto it.

... waiting for response about a shack while you ignore the fact that you like the santorum in Congress...

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60

How many lies can you pack into one post?

I DIDN'T VOTE FOR OBAMA!!

I've stated this many times, you are aware of it, and you choose to repeat your lie yet again.

I've never voted for Santorum.  You seem to have fabricated that one completely out of thin air; unless of course you are referring to the Urban Dictionary . com definition of santorum ,in which case I must bow to your personal expertise.

Obama has promised to veto it, but you chose to lie about that too.

Are you a typical Ron Paul supporter?

I'm sure the two of you will be happy living out your lives in your "liberty shack".

Hooray for reading skills: santorum was spelled with a lower case s! That means it wasn't the person's name!

My bad. You didn't vote for Obama. McCain wouldn't have been any better.

But, actually, the only promises about vetoes I can find are ones that suggest he will only veto it if it takes away even more power from the executive. i.e.: he won't veto if they take away more of our freedoms, but if they don't take away as much he'll veto.

The Posts that Pcunix posted actually show that he's for it. I have quotes above to show that he supports it. The on

What did you mean by 's'antorum?

P.S.  I didn't vote for McCain.

google santorum, get back to me.

I did before I got back to you.  What did you mean by it?

2. Evan G Rogers profile image60

Hey Ron, just wanted to let you know that Obama openly supports the NDAA.

7. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

I don't care who wrote the bill. All of Congress doesn't deserve to be in office if they actually think this type of bill is a solution to anything.

Get rid of them all.

Not the libertarians - they all voted against it.

8. livewithrichard profile image74
    livewithrichardposted 12 years ago

Just signed it and shared it with all of my Facebook and Twitter contacts.

+1

9. Sara101 profile image58
    Sara101posted 12 years ago

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BURN THAT PAPER!!!!!!!!!! NO WAY SHOULD THIS PAPER BE GIVEN TO THE PUBLIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Burn what paper? The Bill or the Petition? hmm

10. Sara101 profile image58
    Sara101posted 12 years ago

You know Quilligrapher, you really should just give up and I doubt anyone besides you are going to sign that. Wait a minute.... How do we know your not Obama posting this out so you can be prez again!?

Follow the link provided and it will lead you to the petition. hmm

11. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 12 years ago

Done and done!

12. Don Bobbitt profile image85
    Don Bobbittposted 12 years ago

Signed!

13. Xenonlit profile image60
    Xenonlitposted 12 years ago

Done!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)