I am sure we all have been betrayed by a person whom we believed to be a trusted friend, but ...

All of us, I am sure, have felt the pain of betrayal from a trusted friend, or one whom we believed to be a friend, but have you forgiven this person yet? I know it is a very painful thing to have to endure the betrayal of a friend, but it is very important to forgive that person, which is also very difficult. One can forgive, but that doesn't mean one has to remain friends with that person who harms or betrays you, as you must set up boundaries. The question . . . have you forgiven this person or persons who have betrayed your trust?

Sparklea profile image73

Best Answer Sparklea says

Oh, my precious friend, Sparklea, I cannot even imagine anyone saying anything nasty or hurtful to you! Thank you for sharing. We can forgive, but that does not mean we are able to feel the same about that person! Great example of how to know.

suzettenaples profile image90

Suzette Walker (suzettenaples) says

Hi suzzette, thanks for sharing here with the really profound answer! Betrayal is a deep, deep emotionally pain. I FINALLY forgave one person who I thought was a friend, and it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. Forgiveness does heal.

grand old lady profile image91

Mona Sabalones Gonzalez (grand old lady) says

Hi grand old lady, thanks for answering! Yes, establishing boundaries is most important no doubt. Although, we may have forgiven, that doesn't mean we are best friends or anything for sure.

• Lisa HW profile image

Lisa HW 4 years ago

I think it may be because people are more likely to over-step bounds in relationships with women, fail to respect/value women/relationships with them, or mistake understanding and niceness for things they aren't.

Lisa HW profile image82

Lisa HW says

Hi Lisa HW, thanks for answering. That is a good point about the unintentional harm someone may cause. When we are betrayed, then it is so hard to trust again no doubt! Just because we do forgive, does not mean we trust that person again, if ever.

Faith Reaper 18 months ago

Hi Paula, Yes, Sparklea won this one outright for sure. She is such a sweet soul and a loving person. It hurts my heart to think of her being hurt. Happy New Year to you too and all.

cynthtggt profile image78

cynthtggt says

Hi cynthtggt, thanks for answering. Yes, a lot are under that impression that if we forgive, then the relationship should automatically be restored . . . this is NOT the case as trust needs to be rebuilt, if ever! I hope you do not either!

Vladimir Uhri profile image60

Vladimir Uhri says

Hi Vladimir Uhri, Wow, thanks for the great answer! Yes, blessed are the Peacemakers indeed! I am so glad that scripture came to mind and you have shared it here. God bless.

CuriousLearner profile image60

John William (CuriousLearner) says

Hello CuriousLearner, I am so glad you forgave your friend and you are still friends. I appreciate you answering the question.

cindybitner says

It is so hurtful when a friend betrays you for sure. It is important to have boundaries to prevent further harm to oneself by another, but it is so important to forgive even when the other may not even realize they harmed you. It is really for you.

Wiserinwi says

Delila1 says

Hi Delila1, thanks for the profound answer here, and you are so right, it is a process, from which one can certainly learn much no doubt! I appreciate you taking the time to answer with such a thought-provoking answer here.

Keri OCreene says

Faith Reaper 24 months ago

Hi Keri, I agree 100% ... God tells us to forgive 70 X 7 no matter what. Yes, His grace and mercies are new each mornings, as should ours be too Blessings

Thanks so much JThomp for the great answer! Yes, you are harming yourself when you do not forgive. As you know, our Lord tells us just exactly how many times we must forgive. God bless you.