How soon after a breakup would you start dating again?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (44 posts)
  1. Escobana profile image77
    Escobanaposted 12 years ago

After another breakup in my interesting life, I'm wondering....When to start dating again? And where to go anyway?
    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5870649_f248.jpg

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

depends when you are ready again, readiness is different for every individual, your criteria I mean. Just enjoy your moments alone for the meantime. It could be fun.

Escobanaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I will enjoy my time alone for a while. I don't believe in jumping from one relationship into the next. Not anymore:-)

2. Marlena Oechsner profile image61
      Marlena Oechsnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Some people really hate being alone, but I think you need to be alone to appreciate yourself and know what you want. Reflect on your previous relationships. What went wrong? What did you enjoy? Know what you want and refuse to settle. You can find purpose alone, and if Sex and the City has taught me anything, you don't need a man. They are always nice to have, but they aren't necessity.

I agree with you and I do feel great on my own. To take some time on my own is good but I think I would also like the companionship of someone who really loves me for who I am.

I was single for 4 years, before meeting me last boyfriend. Now that we seperated, I don't see myself being single again for so many years. Not because I don't like it. I love my life as a single. It's just nice to have someone to share great things with.

1. Marlena Oechsner profile image61
          Marlena Oechsnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I know how you feel; it is always nice to have someone to share things with. Just make sure that person you choose to share your time with is worth it. Don't feel like you have to settle for anything just to be with someone. smile

3. couturepopcafe profile image61
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Right away if the opportunity and desire to do so are there.  There's no reason not to if you meet someone you want to do something with.  I would suggest dating in groups or going to places that are NOT conducive to romance.  It's easier to judge a person's character that way.  Keep it just that.  Dating.  And date several people.  Don't become physical for a long time.

Interesting advice. I do like the idea of just dating. Not becoming physcical for a long time will be quite a challenge but one I've never really tried.

Speeddating would be nice but in Spain where I live, it doesn't exist. I know it can be fun and without any romance. I'll see what else they have to offer in a prude country like Spain:-)

1. couturepopcafe profile image61
          couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You think Spain is prudish?  You should live in America.  The problem here is it's extremist.  One side: prudish the other side: sluttish.  There's no adult discretion and classy relationship.

I was used to Holland. Open and free to live your life the way you wanted. Prejudices all over the place but it didn't matter much. People left eachother alone in their business.

I think I don't mind the sluttish way of life either but most of the time that's just a fase. When you get older you value other things. I don't see living like a slutt would be wrong. It's just different:-)

4. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Now's the time to get in touch with all those old girlfriends and arrange some wild girls' nights out!
      Have fun smile

That definitely belongs to one of my plans:-) Always nice to have some wild fun with friends!

5. Dave Mathews profile image61
      Dave Mathewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How about immediately. If you fall off your bike, do you wait a week or a month to pick it up and start riding again? I doubt it so dating is the same thing.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not really. Dating involves real people, relationships. It's quite different from falling off a bike. It's healthy to take a break with relationships.

It's definitely something different than falling of a bike. In fact, I asked this quiestion in the forum because I feel different after this break up.

I absolutely still love the guy. The love isn't gone just like that. However I did go for the rebound guy as soon as possible to forget about the sorrow, after other breakups. It didn't cost me much energy. I felt good about it.

Now I feel different. Confused sometimes because the love was very strong. I know he still loves me. But I live in Spain and he lives in Brazil.

Long story.....read my latest Hub if you really wannna know some more:-)

6. djeff37 profile image61
      djeff37posted 12 years agoin reply to this

There is not a set time period before you start dating again or before getting into a new relationship. It all depends on the relationship you were just in and the nature of the break up. More importantly, it depends on when you feel comfortable dating again.

7. yolanda yvette profile image60
      yolanda yvetteposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As far as the when, I would just play it by ear.

8. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 12 years agoin reply to this

You begin dating again WHEN YOU FEEL YOU ARE READY TO GO OUT THERE WITH A SMILE AND ENJOY YOURSELF.  Do not waste your time wondering or worrying whether it's "too soon" or issues of that nature.  Go with the flow of your spirit.  Broken hearts heal in time....or....in the case of anger/bitterness, this will pass as well.  It's up to you to decide whether or not dating will be a positive part of the healing process for you.   Best of luck

2. CyclingFitness profile image90
    CyclingFitnessposted 12 years ago

Do you feel the need to start dating again?

Why not take some time being single and see how it feels for you?

I don't feel the need yet. On the other hand it makes things easier in a way. To forget about someone for real. Focus on other men and listen to their stories.
      I wouldn't date to start a new relationship but to meet new people, widen my world and going out some more, would be nice instead of staying at home too much.

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

If it was a long, serious relationship, I think some time is essential. I guess some are afraid to be single, which is silly, so they go from relationship to relationship never discovering who they are as an individual.

We were together for a year. Not that long. Afraid of being single I am not. A little tired of meeting someone again, getting to know someone, seeing how things work....yeah...after 8 serious relationships it kind of wears you out.
      But I'm not complaining here. All of the guys I chose myself. I learned from them too. I discoverd who I am. I believe time will tell but the older you get the more cautious you get too.

4. jcmayer777 profile image65
    jcmayer777posted 12 years ago

I've been completely single for the last 6 months and actually really like it a lot.  Lonely at times, I suppose, but I like it.

It's really a choice that you have to make.  Do what you want.

I like to choose what makes me happy. I wasn't happy anymore with my ex. So now I'm back to being happy on my own. I like the freedom, the endless possibilities and the excitiment of not knowing what will happen tomorrow.

Yet, I'm a little impatient maybe in finding the right guy. Guess we all want to be with that great love in the end, sharing the good and bad, growing as a couple.

1. Relationshipc profile image87
        Relationshipcposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Many people don't realize that they are not happy with their partner, and they don't end up getting out of the relationship. They don't realize that they can be happy on their own, but you did! Smart girl.

There's nothing wrong with wanting companionship in your life. It only becomes a problem when you start to chase it and become desperate...that's when you start to accept the losers and dumb-asses into your life (because you want someone right now and take who you get.)

Sounds like you are not desperate, so date, have fun, and be selective!

1. SweetiePie profile image83
          SweetiePieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes people are selective, and they find out later down the line the guy or girl was a total jerk.  Some people are in relationships where they are presenting themselves as the ideal couple to keep up appearances.  There is nothing wrong with being single for years, too.  You can be selective, and completely in the dark about the character of your mate.  No one can know everything at all times.

2. Escobana profile image77

Thanks for the compliment Relationshipc!!! I do realize I can be happy on my own instead of being unhappy with the guy I love.
          Desperate I am not. Thank God! I know from friends around me, it doesn't bring you to your best match.

I'm sure to date, have fun and be selective. I'm not the indoor type of girl to sit at home and wait around for som fun to come towards me:-)

5. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 12 years ago

I think people think too much about dating.  What about just enjoying life, and being the ultimate single girl.  I am in my thirties as a single woman, and I think it takes a strong cookie because you have to field a lot of questions.  People wonder why you are not married, not dating, or at least not having kids.  Some people cringe when you tell them you are not all that interested in those things.  I think more about my writing and artwork than I do about dating.  Of course, I was never the highly social type, so I did not go out looking for dates.  The people I dated in my twenties never had much in common with me, and I have not even bothered dating in two years.  These past years have been the most fulfilling and exciting for me.  I really enjoy getting up, going to work, and then coming home to work on my writing and book at night.

I think it depends on what makes you happy. I've been single for 4 years before meeting my last ex. Had a blast! However I am the social type, I like a party once in a while, I need to feel wanted, play the game of flirting, because that's just what gives me good feeling.

Next to writing, going out with friends for a coffee, taking care of my cats and keeping myself in shape, by going to the gym. My life has been very fullfilling on my own but sharing experiences with your loved one is an absolute extra feeling of happiness.

Being the ultimate single girl and never date, to me seens very lonely in a way. But then again....if it makes you happy, it makes you happy:-)

1. SweetiePie profile image83
        SweetiePieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why is it lonely? I work, I walk a lot, I still talk to people.  I am really close to my family and my sisters, so I guess I have all the people I need.  I never really dreamed of getting married or having kids, so I suppose that is another reason I do not mind being on my own.  I have a lot of friends who are single as well, so knowing like minded people sort of makes it less lonely.  Honestly, I was never the type of person who felt lonely.  A lot of people are alone in relationships anyway. 

After my dating experiences, I just discovered I did not feel wanted by putting myself out there.  If I am meant to be in a relationship, not ruling it out completely, I want the guy to come to me.  Several times I went out of my way to let someone know I liked them, and it did not make me feel good to find out they did not feel the same.  I am very reticent after these experiences.  I might not be the most exciting person in the world, but if someone wants to get to know me, they will do the leg work.

It 'seemed' lonely to me. Now that you've written back I see your life is filled in a different way. The thing is...I'm close to my family too, I have lots of single friends too and I didn't think you really 'felt' lonely.

Just like you I don't want kids and just like you I've had my share of dating experiences, getting out of my way, yet disappointed in the end. Ít sounds fare to let the guy come to you but in all honesty....

I do want to marry some day. I'm in no hurry but I can't expect a guy to come just to me. When I'm ready, I do think there is some responsibility I have in order to 'make that guy come to me'.

Meaning I have to go out, have fun with friends, go on a holiday on my own, sign in on a dance course or whatever fun things there are to socialize. If not I'll be spending too much time at home, being perfectly comfortable, not getting hurt too and not getting in any relationship as well.

I have to say....I'm not ready yet to take any risk because I'm still in the process of letting go of my ex emotionally, but I know it involves risking your heart always if you want to try a new relationship.

Thanks for your imput here! Really appreciate it!

6. daisynicolas profile image76
    daisynicolasposted 12 years ago

People are too absorbed with dating which can result to a break up one way or the other. Our existence is brimming with other more important issues. I actually find it better not to date in order not to go through these break ups.  There are millions of incidents in life that hurt you, I, for one, do not need these intentional pain.

7. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 12 years ago

You seem like you would be a fun person to be around, and someone nice to talk to.  What about those singles' cruises in the Caribbean?  Those are supposed to be a fun way to meet people, without the pressure.  Lots of entertainment as well.  I heard some people got back from nice cruises to the Bahamas.

Thanks for the compliment:-) Sounds great! Singles cruises. New to me too. Something to consider. Thanks for the tip!

8. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

In my case, and after a record-breakingly nasty break-up - over a decade (but maybe that's just me  LOL )

1. yolanda yvette profile image60

LOL!!

9. BizGenGirl profile image88
    BizGenGirlposted 12 years ago

A wiseman once told me, "it takes half as long to get over someone, as the time you were with them."

So however long you were with them, cut that in half, and if dating feels right at that time, then go for it. Until then, revel in the amazing adventures that only singledom can offer smile

1. yolanda yvette profile image60

Good answer.

2. Escobana profile image77

I posted my question five weeks ago. A LOT HAS HAPPENED SINCE THEN. Dating never happened. I wasn't ready at all and I didn't feel all that relieved in the end, for having lost my loved one.

After some weeks WE GOT BACK TOGETHER. Though he's living in Brazil and I am in Spain, the love we feel for eachother is too strong. If all goes according to plan, I'll be joining him at the end of April.

LOVE IS LIKE A ROLLERCOASTER....I WOULDN'T WANT TO RIDE IT WITH SOMEONE ELSE.....Thanks for all of your answers dear friends!

10. stricktlydating profile image85
    stricktlydatingposted 12 years ago

I'd start dating again whenever I met someone new worth dating.  It could be immediately or a year down the track.  Just whenever I met someone who seemed worth getting to know.

11. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

I'd wait at least 24 hours! lol

1. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Habee!!!!   YOU are HYSTERICAL.....thanks for the laugh!  I love it!  You can always tell a wise, experienced woman when you hear one!   LMAO

12. ajayshah2005 profile image47
    ajayshah2005posted 12 years ago

It depends upon luck too that how fast i get my perfect match again.

13. kkuma01 profile image62
    kkuma01posted 12 years ago

Depends on the length of the relationship and the depth of the connection

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)