Should I tell my friend her husband is having an affair?

Jump to Last Post 51-87 of 87 discussions (87 posts)
  1. profile image0
    IASILLEMONposted 14 years ago

I would tell her. Alone. Don't make the same mistake that I've seen made time and time again, where the person that knows tells or asks three or four other folks to join her to tell the affected person, as some sort of moral support. That is so not the way to go about it. She must know and in the long run she will trust you more and love you more for telling her. Don't expect a hug right away though, at first she will be hurt and cry and might even appear upset at you. But if she is a true friend to you, she will ultimately thank you for it. Also if she decides to forgive him and remain with him, don't hate her for it, only she knows what is really deep down going on. Maybe she messed around on him before or otherwise feels guilty about something she did against him, or something along those lines. You never know, or she might just honestly be forgiving him and trying a new. Either way it is a bit scary to proceed, but do so with caution and nothing but love and sympathy in your heart, Don't do it out of revenge or hate, because it will backfire. Remember Karma is a b$#*@ !

2. cassiemcnease15 profile image60
    cassiemcnease15posted 14 years ago

it could work both ways, yes, she would be hurt, that human nature, but she would appreciate your honesty. Think of it from her perspective, if your husband or whatever was running around on you and she knew, wouldnt you want her to tell you? In the end it would help her more, because it would cause less pain, and its better to know from a friend than catch him in the act. plus, if she knew you knew in the end, would she ever trust you again? Yes, i know, its hard to tel your friend something as brutal and defying as this, but look at i this way, your really helping her out alot in the end.

3. mcinthiaw profile image60
    mcinthiawposted 14 years ago

oh my gos of course wat kind of friend would u be if u dont if she finds out and new dat u new she will feel betrayed u should of told her the second u new

4. mightywarrior profile image56
    mightywarriorposted 14 years ago

i think you should tell her before it gets too late ..... and i think no one would believe at first , so i think you should tell her with some kind of proofs like photos.

5. Kevin Peter profile image60
    Kevin Peterposted 13 years ago

Yes absolutely, you should. If the matter solved in starting its better and they can continue their relations.

But if the affair had crossed the Limit then nothing can be happen.

6. solar.power profile image61
    solar.powerposted 13 years ago

If My wife was having an affair and my friends knew about it. I would want to know

7. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 13 years ago

Perhaps a lot of people would disagree with me but I feel everything isn't my business.

I could tell my friend but then what if they worked it out and now most likely (please spare me the single idea that what happened to me will happen in every situation) at least one of them will always have resentment towards me and stress will always be there whenever the 3 of us are together.

8. Koka A profile image54
    Koka Aposted 13 years ago

YESsssss!  Absolutely.  The easy thing to do is nothing.  The right thing to do is the seemingly awkward.

9. kmartel profile image60
    kmartelposted 13 years ago

I hope my friend would tell me if I was her.  Yes, and yes, you should.  If you don't, and she finds out later you know, it could ruin your friendship forever.  Don't believe what others tell you, go on your instinct and if she doesn't believe you, well, at least she can't blame you for knowing when she does eventually find out, because she will, only a matter of time!

10. Datingport profile image58
    Datingportposted 13 years ago

You should tell her only if you :
    1. Are truly her friend
    2. Can handle the possible loss of that friendship due to telling her the truth.
    3. Can't live with yourself for furthering the lie by knowing about it and not saying anything.
    4. Are not the one he's having affair with.

11. profile image0
    gulnazahmadposted 13 years ago

This is unfair that you know it and you are hiding from her I think you should tell her instantly.

12. padmendra profile image49
    padmendraposted 13 years ago

No dear, before telling your friend about this, you should ask her husband to refrain from such unwanted things. If he is a  good person, he will listen to you and follow the advice. If you say it to your friend directly, it will spoil their relationship before   doing any remedy. There are other ways of guiding people and best course of action is to tackle it wisely.

13. profile image0
    iamqweenbeeposted 13 years ago

I wouldn't! For one...I wouldn't tell my friend anything that will hurt her. For two, its not your business or your place. For three, she might turn on you. For four, some things should be kept to yourself

14. JillKostow profile image86
    JillKostowposted 13 years ago

I would tell her.  She may be mad or upset with you in the beginning for telling her, but eventually she could get past it.  If you don't tell her and she finds out that you knew about it, that would most likely put an end to your friendship.

15. sir_tallest profile image58
    sir_tallestposted 13 years ago

If you really love your friend more than your friendship,then the best thing to do is tell her and hope it doesn't cost you your friendship.....help her through it........but if you value the friendship more than the friend......don't....she might hate you for it and end a very pleasureable relationship

16. sid_candid profile image57
    sid_candidposted 13 years ago

I think you should certainly tell your friend about her husband's affair. This would make or break their relationship which would be good for your friend. But be prepared to even loose your friendship as your friend may get annoyed at you as she may not believe you instantly.

17. Jay Louidor profile image60
    Jay Louidorposted 13 years ago

I would only yell my friend because I know if placed in that positioned I would have wanted them to tell me.

18. Jaymeyaroch profile image61
    Jaymeyarochposted 13 years ago

You won't look like the bad girl, you will look like the Angel of Death.

It is not up to you to decide what she needs to know.  If someone is unfaithful, the other ought to know of it.

My fiance cheated on me after 3 years of being together, and would have married me anyway because I was more "acceptable" to his family than she was.

I found out after I left him for a different reason, and it made the pain even worse that no one had the courage to tell me, even though I was the only one who didn't know.

I didn't blame the messenger.  It's a tough decision, but when it was me, I would have wanted to know.

19. goody7 profile image69
    goody7posted 13 years ago

The best thing for you to do is mind your own business and not get yourself involved. But it's your choice.

20. kentuckyslone profile image89
    kentuckysloneposted 13 years ago

Yes, I think you should absolutely let her know - if you are sure. If you are her friend you will tell her. If you do not tell her then you are not a real friend.

21. alisle profile image54
    alisleposted 13 years ago

The truth ALWAY prevails! She will be hurt to find out but will feel good if she knew you were being honest with her, she'd be more hurt if you kept it from her. Just make sure you have evidence!

22. C.V.Rajan profile image60
    C.V.Rajanposted 13 years ago

Not if you were the person your friend's husband is having an affair with!

23. profile image0
    Rusty C. Adoreposted 13 years ago

I would tell her... only if you have absolute proof. You have to be completely sure that what you are accusing him of is fact and not merely suspicion. An affair can absolutely destroy a marriage. It's true that many couples work through infidelity, but some can't. Another factor to consider is whether this couple has children. If they have a family then this news wouldn't just be destroying a marriage, but an entire family unit.

24. tysanders profile image60
    tysandersposted 13 years ago

This is a hard one! I was placed in this situation before and I chose to keep my lips sealed. They are married so I would hate to be the cause of a divorce. Also, it depends on the friend. I am like you and I would definitely want to know and would appreciate the source but many women prefer denial over the truth. You just have to know the person and use good judgment.

In my situation my friend already knew her man was a cheater because she caught him cheating before and stayed with him. That made me feel as if I should mind my own business and not add more fuel to their fire. You just have to know the friend because each situation is different and all women do not respond the same to hurtful news. Ask yourself, is it worth losing your friendship? Because if girlfriend is not ready to hear what you have to say it could place a major strain on your friendship. Good luck with this one!

25. smelloftruth profile image60
    smelloftruthposted 13 years ago

You can use anonymous email to tell her smile

26. Rockgirl85 profile image60
    Rockgirl85posted 13 years ago

If you don't tell your friend not only will you feel guilty but feel like you are contributing to his infidelity. You have to be 100 percent sure that he is having an affair, like did you see him kissing another woman on the mouth or seen them go into a hotel or the woman's house together. If you think that your friend won't believe you then let her see for herself, lead her to where these two meet and she will find out herself. I would tell her as a friend the truth but show her proof so that she will believe me.

27. Variety Writer profile image61
    Variety Writerposted 13 years ago

Either stay out of it or if you do tell her then tell her anonymously. Send a letter in the mail without your name on it.

28. JayDee Sterling profile image59
    JayDee Sterlingposted 13 years ago

Just because you would want to know, doesn't mean your friend would want to know. In situations like that, often it is better  if friends find out on their own, if they haven't already.
    Stay out of it, be prepared to be supportive if this friend comes to you with the information.

29. mdlawyer profile image45
    mdlawyerposted 13 years ago

This is a tricky issue affecting relationships.  Handle with care.

30. Mrs. J. B. profile image60
    Mrs. J. B.posted 13 years ago

Be very very careful how you approach the subject. Think long and hard before you open your mouth. Also just how good of friends are you? You may want to pick her brain a bit on the topic before you spill the beans or perhaps maybe if you find out where he takes the other woman, show up with your friend. Good Luck

31. kevin.howell profile image72
    kevin.howellposted 12 years ago

Absolutely, I would want to know.  I'm sure she would too.  I despise people who cheat.

32. Darknlovely3436 profile image70
    Darknlovely3436posted 12 years ago

from past experience it is better to keep your mouth shut or as the famous Harry Belfonte saidhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E2qg6bRu6M&playnext=1&list=PL89C21D4DF97F2FF2

33. Cheesing a Dream profile image59
    Cheesing a Dreamposted 12 years ago

being good friend means sharing good and bad things...Imagine yourself in this situation...Would you like your friend to tell you the truth or to go behind your back?

34. ArockDaNinja profile image68
    ArockDaNinjaposted 12 years ago

I have to know, did you end up telling her or no?!

35. iloveglee83 profile image60
    iloveglee83posted 12 years ago

Honestly, you should...if she truly is your friend you will take what your saying into heart and consider that you could be right. I wish I had friends like you around years ago when my fiancee was cheating on me, I had to find out the hard way. My thing is if I would want to know then I'm going to tell my friend. I understand it will be hard and sometimes the turth hurts but it is part of life.

36. profile image51
    skytreeroadposted 10 years ago

No. Let her find out the hard way and be there to support her when she does, all surprised and everything, but stay out of it. It will end your friendship, you will never be invited to play with her or mutual friends, or him or his friends or their mutual friends. Yes, it seems important to tell her, but it will be better if someone else slips up or if they hash it out. And do not say you knew it all the time. Just be there and be surprised. And supportive. And not surprised when they stay/get back together. By the way, did you notice that the other girls already know about the cheating? And they are her friends too? Yeah, keep your mouth shut. If you feel like saying something after it comes out, bite your lip until you cry! Let her see your tears and comfort you. Seriously bite your lip.

37. profile image53
    peter565posted 9 years ago

Send her photos anonymously and never tell her you are the one whom send it.  And then left it at that, don't say or do anything else.  let them work it out for themselves.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)