jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

where's the line between prostitution and dating?

1. Chineze profile image72
    Chinezeposted 7 years ago

where's the line between prostitution and dating?

2. dabeaner profile image56
    dabeanerposted 7 years ago

If the man pays (i.e, the date is not "dutch") then the payment for a date is dinner, drinks, a show, whatever, and the payment for prostitution is money.

3. Wayne Brown profile image84
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

You really don't know?  By definition, dating would simply be the act of seeing another person to watch tv, have dinner, go to a movie...very basic things that are enjoyed together as a couple in the romantic sense.  Dating is a form of early exploration to get to know a person and decide whether you like them enough to pursue a more serious relationship.  On the other, prostitution is a business venture and in most places an illegal one.  There's no getting to know anyone.  The act is focused on one person selling some form of sexual pleasure and the other person paying a monetary amount for that service.  Dating should stop far short of that relationship.  Hope this helps. WB

4. stricktlydating profile image81
    stricktlydatingposted 7 years ago

Prostitution is a business.  Dating someone is not.

5. helendanger profile image82
    helendangerposted 7 years ago

I think I see where you are going with this question.  In both situations a man expends resources to get the attention of a woman.  There is a classic transaction that goes on.

Of course the line is that while dating, a man can only hope to get sexual satisfaction of some kind.  He has no right to expect a substantial return on his investment.  On the other hand, the return could be very high.  The woman might fall in love with him and provide an ongoing, convenient source for satisfaction (along with other fabulous benefits).

In prostitution, a sexual result is a sure thing.  Quid pro quo.  But love is not on the table.

6. samsons1 profile image76
    samsons1posted 7 years ago

your date don't charge you to take her out to dinner and/or a movie does she...?

7. realtalk247 profile image68
    realtalk247posted 3 years ago

There are a lot of women prostituting themselves now a days. Like Kenny Pugh would say (author of Can You Do It Standing Up) "If you are exchanging anything for sex it's prostitution." 

Dating has to do with intent.  Do you care for this person sitting across from you or are you sitting there with someone you don't care about but receiving gifts/dinner/money? 

Quid pro quo is running rampant.

If you are exchanging affection for profit=prostitution.
    If your conversation begins with a "so you want to date me" then "I need ...." - prostitution

When you are only interested in what someone can do for you -prostitution.  When you don't care for that person and if the money/gifts/dinners weren't there you wouldn't be bothered-prostitution

working