This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you make your marriage Stronger?

1. YoungWife profile image71
    YoungWifeposted 7 years ago

How do you make your marriage Stronger?

Looking for tips and help, my husband seems to be becoming more and more distant and we've only been married for 5 months. We've known one another for 7 years but still, he seems to be turning into someone else and drifting further and further from me. I need some advise from some happily married people please.

2. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 7 years ago

Have you talked to him about what might be the problem, and been willing to wait for his answer? I wish I could be more helpful, but all I can say is that we haven't stopped trying. Communication is critical, but it can't be forced on anyone, and each person has to have their space to work out issues (this seems to apply most often to men). My husband and I have had some pretty severe breaks before, but one way or another we always find a way to open the lines of communication back up so that we can work it out. It's not always easy -- in fact, sometimes it's downright painful before anything can be figured out -- but it's always been worth doing.

One of the things that I've learned to do is no matter how angry or frustrated I am with my husband, or no matter how much what he says or does hurts, I stop and recall the feelings that I have for him and why those feelings are there. I find that this helps me deal with him with a more loving attitude, and helps me cope with my own emotions when things aren't going right. Remember, too, that some men act like they don't need love and affection when they really need it the most. There have been times my husband has been acting like a complete a**hole and will act very angry and say some very hurtful things, but then I'll give him a hug and he completely breaks down. There has been more than once when the thought of leaving has crossed my mind, and I just tell myself, "not today." Without fail, by the next day he's ready to talk to me and I've never been so glad I didn't act on the spur of the moment.

Give it some time -- married life takes some adjustment, and five months isn't long for things to settle down. No relationship is perfect, there will be tough times no matter how close you are, and it's basically just a matter of being able to work through those tough times and use them to understand each other better and find new ways to grow closer.

3. ThunderKeys profile image64
    ThunderKeysposted 7 years ago

Well I've been with my wife for almost 20 years and I'm also a professional counselor who has worked with many distressed couples in my private practice. I agree with wychic. Healthy communication is critical for marriage to succeed. Her strategy of remembering those beautiful reasons she loves her husband during normal times of stress is an excellent approach! The fact that they both "never stop trying" is actually a strong sign of incredible marital resiliency, according to established clinical practice and research.

"Stonewalling" or emotional and physical distancing, is a mode of communication that strong relationship science shows is reliably predictive of divorce. Most divorces take place in the first year and the fifth years of marriage. So this is a good time for both of you to really learn those critical marriage maintenance skills and tools that we are sadly not born with. 

When one partner shuts down and starts to drift away, its usually because some core relationship need or needs are not being fully expressed or met. This can cause emotional distress in the partner who is being stonewalled when they unsuccessfully bid for emotional connection.

The resultant fear, anger and resentment can actually fuel the distancing in the other partner, particularly if the core, unmet relationship-need is "attachment" based. there are some powerful strategies for turning these communication patterns around, and for using them as a signal for initiating learned repair processes towards deeply strengthening and affair-proofing your marriage. Please see my 2 hubs on these strategies and feel free to ask any additional questions.

4. YoungWife profile image71
    YoungWifeposted 7 years ago

thank you both for your help. I there are times when I feel I am the only one trying to make this work. I asked him last night if he regretted getting married, because sometimes it feels like he does. I keep the house clean and try to make him happy in every way possible. He is usually more happy with his friends than with me. To me he is my best friend, and I try all the time to be his. He doesnt tell me about anything. On V-day he was in a work accident and I was stuck at home until 8pm trying to find out where he was and scared out of my mind that something horrible happened. When I finally got ahold of his mother she told me that the machine he was working on propelled a knife into his chest hilt first and cracked some ribs. He didnt even bother to send me a text and I found out that he was texing his buddies in the doctors office while he was waiting for the doctor. He doesnt call me when hes going to be late anymore and thinks its ok to go out drinking with his buds and stay the night at their house. Hes married hes supposed to want to come home to me. Am I wrong? I try to compunicate with him all the time, he hears all about my day every day even if I had nothing to do. But when I ask about his day all I get is "Long," or "Hard." I ask him what I can do to make his day better and he just shrugs and turns on his playstation. I am not against him relaxing, I dont know I just thought we would stay close and not drift appart. We usued to be so close and he would tell me everything and looked forward to telling me things, always called if hes going to be late. He used to always respond to my texts and pick up the phone when I called. Now he only picks up the phone less than half the time I call and he never texts me back. I feel like i did something wrong.

working