If you had known what marriage was going to be like would you have chosen to sta

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (17 posts)
  1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years ago

If you had known what marriage was going to be like would you have chosen to stay single instead?

2. pippap profile image80
    pippapposted 12 years ago

I was married for several years; and, have now been single for over 25 years.  I have become much too independent to ever consider being in a relationship again.  I find them quite confining compared to the freedom of being single.

3. prektjr.dc profile image73
    prektjr.dcposted 12 years ago

If I had answered this yesterday I might have been tempted to say yes to your question!  However, in spite of those "off" days, being married has been a good thing in my life.  It is good to have someone to talk to, to share the good and the bad moments with and someone to snuggle up to when it is cold outside.  I love knowing that he is here, even when I am in another room working on a project, just having him here is reassuring.

I am not a "wimpy" girl by any means and have the confidence to stand up to most anyone on anything if I need to, so it isn't just that "someone to take care of me" thing either.  I raised a strong minded daughter, a son who is a Marine and a son who is in the local Police Academy.  I am very independent and my husband often stands back and watches me "handle things my way"!  I love knowing deep down that if I ever needed, or wanted, him to back me up, then he would be there.

Our marriage is far from perfect, but at the end of every day I am thankful to have him at my side.

4. brittanytodd profile image89
    brittanytoddposted 12 years ago

I think being married has made my life and relationship better.  We are committed to each other and will do anything to keep our "team" alive and happy.  I think it's all about being with the right person.  In my case, I have the right one for me and marriage is awesome!

5. Shil1978 profile image87
    Shil1978posted 12 years ago

Wondered why married couples fall out of love? How suddenly two seemingly made-for-each-other couples drift away? Read on to learn 7 reasons why marriages break up and how to avoid them. read more

6. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 12 years ago

I don't think the problem is with "marriage" itself but rather the person someone has chosen to marry. In my opinion the number one cause for divorce is and always has been selecting the wrong mate. There are numerous reasons as to why this happens. However the number one reason is we don't take the time to do some serious introspective thinking about what we truly want and need in a partner for life.
    Often times we let "circumstances" such as what our friends are doing, family desires, pregancy, our age, the length of the relationship, expectations or ultimatims, fear of ending up alone....etc dictate our decision to get married. A lot of people rush to get married so that they can scratch it off their "to do" list. Nothing "magical" happens after saying "I do".  (We are who we are.) The wedding is just one day.
    To have a happy marriage (both) people have to want the same things and agree on the best way to have those things. You have to know who YOU are and what you want before you can determine if someone else will fit well into your life. That takes more time than most people are willing to invest these days. Marriage is a life-style choice. It's not a requirement and it's not for everyone! You really have to know yourself!

7. Pamela N Red profile image82
    Pamela N Redposted 12 years ago

Yes, I'd do it all over in a heart beat with the same man. I have a wonderful husband and we get along very well.

8. the clean life profile image71
    the clean lifeposted 12 years ago

Married now 31 years  this May and I would never want to be single. I have the best wife in the world and would never ever want my life any different!! I knew my marriage would be great the minute I met my wife.

9. nybride710 profile image60
    nybride710posted 12 years ago

The first time, yes.  My second marriage, no.  It is such a blessing after what I went through.

10. Hayley Richardson profile image69
    Hayley Richardsonposted 12 years ago

I've got an amazing husband and I'd marry him again tomorrow but I know plenty of people who aren't so lucky.  I even know plenty of people who had their doubts before the marriage took place but the big day was too important to them or they just hoped things would sort themselves out afterwards.  They should have definitely stayed single.

11. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 12 years ago

Greetings, Cindy!

My marriage was the culmination of poor planning, poor timing, poor execution, and poor mate-selection merging with the best of intentions. I think to say it was a disaster would be spot on.

The only thing that was surprising was that I somehow expected a positive outcome from such a dubious beginning.

I think marriage should be considered the most beautiful of all relationships...if done correctly. And, when I say, "done correctly", I mean doing everything right from the beginning and using great wisdom and discernment in choosing Mr. or Mrs. Right.

Marriage should not be put on trial because so many people approach the alter with inferior mind-sets and do not have what it takes to succeed.

Marriage is a big league event that does not disallow little league players from joining its ranks. Marriage therefore cannot fail, but the participants often do.

So, to answer you question: Yes. If I could do it all over again I would because from that marriage I received the most beautiful children I could imagine. Even though my blushing bride hurt me deeply and caused me a great deal of pain, my children have more than made up for it...praise God!!!

Now, I have chosen to remain single since our divorce many moons ago, because I do not want to go through that kind of pain and turmoil again. It is not that I am opposed to marriage, it's just that I don't trust myself to discern a wolf in sheep's clothing.  :0)

12. donnaisabella profile image72
    donnaisabellaposted 12 years ago

There are times I have been tempted to think like that but I believe that many married people go through that at one time or another. It takes a lot of commitment, working together and believing in one another to make a marriage good and for it to work out. Marriage has brought me many blessings and seriously, I would rather be married and live right than be single and live wrong. It is not like there was any other choice for me with regards to relating with the opposite sex. I could either stay single and have nothing to do with men but if I wanted intimacy, friendship and the things that come with having a guy in my life, I had to do it right and marriage was that package, frankly. Now that I am married, I realize that many blessings have come my way through my husband and vice versa. It is wonderful.

13. okaygrace profile image58
    okaygraceposted 12 years ago

Refreshing to hear many of your comments! When I read the question I was expecting to hear a bunch of marriage bashing, but was pleasantly surprised!

I'm getting married in 3 weeks and feel like it it is the right decision for us. Although I do agree there are many people out there that shouldn't be or ever have gotten married to their spouses, I think it is a great thing for those that truly accept the marriage into their life with welcome arms.

14. YvetteParker profile image60
    YvetteParkerposted 12 years ago

Not necessarily remaining single, but I wish that I had been better equipped with more tools and resources for how to make marriage successful and how to make it work.

15. RMfreelancewriter profile image60
    RMfreelancewriterposted 12 years ago

Simple answer, NO.

Put nothing is simple.

I married for the first time in my fifties. After being married for almost 14 years, I would never want to be single again.

If something were to happen to my wife, heaven forbid, I am not sure I would want to marry again.

This is something that each individual makes a decision on.

16. freemarketingnow profile image59
    freemarketingnowposted 12 years ago

No, marriage is hard but I enjoy it a lot. It teaches me a lot about who I am, and it refines my character. I think the pain is deeper but I also experienced heights of joy and happiness that I didn't experience as a single person.

17. algarveview profile image75
    algarveviewposted 12 years ago

I would. I actually lived with my husband for several years before we married and after all those years when he popped the question I had no doubt in my mind. I still have no doubt. We have our issues (especially after we had the children - that really does not help out a marriage), but I would do it all over again...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)