jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

I am a workaholic but my girlfriend wants me to spend more time with her. What d

1. NickB profile image59
    NickBposted 6 years ago

I am a workaholic but my girlfriend wants me to spend more time with her. What do I do?

I run my own business and If I do not work a lot I won't make money. This leaves me with very little time to spend with my girlfriend. My girlfriend constantly asks for me to spend more time with her and it puts a strain on our relationship. What do I do?

2. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

YOU have to make a decision as to what is MOST important to YOU (at this time) in YOUR LIFE.

If she can't understand your situation and you can't give her what she wants then I would say this is a clue you may need to set each other free. Unless (one of you) is willing to (bend) it's just a matter of time before this relationship comes to an end.

I can't tell you how many times I have heard cheaters who have been caught sight the following reason: " I did it  because he/she didn't spend time with me!" "A girl/guy has needs."

3. stricktlydating profile image82
    stricktlydatingposted 6 years ago

I once dated a guy who seemed to work about 20 hours a day.  He never let me feel like he didn't have time for me.  This is what he did:  Made dates with me during the day time in our lunch break (something I really looked forward too). Always answered his telephone when I called (Or called me back quickly), always made plans for the weekend (Even if it was just for a quick drive with an afternoon tea stop). 
    I believe you can make her feel important no matter how many hours you work by making her feel special (And not second to your work) and by scheduling her into your work committments.

4. mariale2003 profile image59
    mariale2003posted 6 years ago

involve her on what you do!...if is your own business, for sure is something that she can help you with.

5. pavslastring profile image55
    pavslastringposted 6 years ago

it's yor business? if so, then just let her work with u or spend ur weekends with her, can't be that hard.

6. Denise Handlon profile image88
    Denise Handlonposted 6 years ago

Make a decision-lose the girl or let her join you in your work, but setting some priorities would be less stressful, it seems. If your g.f is totally unreasonable why not find someone more understanding...or are you working long hours for other reasons?

7. Zubair Ahmed profile image78
    Zubair Ahmedposted 6 years ago

You should spend more time with your girlfriend that is if you love her enough. But i she loves you, then she will also understand that you need to work certain times, during which you will not be able to see her.  You and her both need to come to some agreement and dedicate some time for both of you.  YOU then put it n your DIARY in BIG RED WRITING - NOTHING BUT GIRLFRIEND TIME.  That way way she'll be happy and you'll get your work done. Time management is hard but to balance life's quality time you need (actually we all need) to get better at time management.

8. CyclingFitness profile image92
    CyclingFitnessposted 6 years ago

Is there any way you can involve your girlfriend in your business to make her feel part of what you do and spend time together?
    Alternately schedual specific days and times that you intend to spend time together and then anything extra could be seen as a bonus. Starting and maintaining your own business is always going to be a strain however you have to have a happy psychological and social life in order to be able to make it really succeed too.

Good luck in finding a happy balance

9. spyoftheworld profile image56
    spyoftheworldposted 6 years ago

I had this problem before i told her that i can't be with all time and we was talking on cellphone when i'm free  that helped me so much because it makes her feel happy and by time she becomes more Receptive and understanding

10. jacqui2011 profile image83
    jacqui2011posted 6 years ago

I think that you have to decide which is more important to you. Ideally it would be great to split your time, but I realise that as you are self employed its not that simple. Try talking things through with your gf and try to reach a compromise. Perhaps you could take most of the weekend off and a few hours midweek. I think she does need to understand that this is a business you are trying to build up and is essential that it succeeds or you wont be able to survive financially. Hopefully she will understand. Good luck.

11. soconfident profile image83
    soconfidentposted 5 years ago

I understand that is serious situation that a business man face, but the best thing you can do to save your career and relationship would be to hire some help an assistant to take the load off your hands.

working