jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Did you marry someone against your family's wishes?

1. puddingicecream profile image76
    puddingicecreamposted 6 years ago

Did you marry someone against your family's wishes?

How did your family respond?

2. Docmo profile image92
    Docmoposted 6 years ago

Yes - I did.

It was an interracial/ intercultural wedding- my family went through the usual grievance cycle-  shock ( you are kidding, you traitor)   denial ( It can't be true- it wont last), Anger ( We will not come to the wedding, you're not our son) , Despair ( You have abandoned your parents and your origins) and finally acceptance ( those children are gorgeous, we forgive you!) .. and they finally realised that love has no man made boundaries  .. as Shakespeare said ' Love does not alter when alteration finds,  or bends with the remover to remove'.

3. profile image0
    writeronlineposted 6 years ago

No, but I would have if it had been necessary. Marriage is a vow between two people, not their families. You can't choose who you fall in love with, but once you have, it's no-one else's right to get in the way of your commitment. My wife did actually want to elope, but that was because she felt she was being coerced into a full-on wedding, something her parents wanted to do (for her, we were pretty young) whereas she'd have preferred something more simple....but I was happy to go with the flow, my eyes were firmly fixed on the prize.  smile

4. terkawy profile image58
    terkawyposted 6 years ago

No, i can't do  this as i love my family too much, and this action will disappointe them toward me.

5. seriousnuts profile image69
    seriousnutsposted 6 years ago

If it's a choice, I'll choose to not fall in love with a person my family wouldn't like. I don't want complications. I came from a tight-knit family. For me, romantic love is not everything. There are many forms of love, including familial love. It's really up to the person what to do. There is no right and wrong answer. If the person is strong, I believe marrying someone he/she truly loves will result to a happy ending. But it won't work for me.

working