Why do people get married so young?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. OutsideTheLines profile image60
    OutsideTheLinesposted 12 years ago

Why do people get married so young?

I'm only 20 and it seems like a lot of my friends either are married or engaged. Why do people do this?

2. profile image0
    Indigitalposted 12 years ago

Where do you live? It's proven that places with low employment and bad social areas are more likely to marry and give birth young. Normally, women with careers tend to marry later on in life, although this may obviously change in a time of happiness, where it seems right.

3. jfay2011 profile image61
    jfay2011posted 12 years ago

because they are young and stupid and think they are in love.  A lot of us wait and live a little before we settle down with someone.

4. profile image49
    lucymcbeesposted 12 years ago

They see just through eyes not heart. Most women married so young because they want just the partner to carrying them.

5. Chasing Riley profile image84
    Chasing Rileyposted 12 years ago

I think people get married young because they are at an age where they are separating from their family (growing up) and want to be attached to a new family unit. I got married at 22 and have been married for 21 years.

6. lockgirl profile image60
    lockgirlposted 12 years ago

I was married at 17 and the marriage didn't last. A lot of times people rush into something out of need or out of desperation.

7. Morena88 profile image67
    Morena88posted 12 years ago

I have some friends who got married in their early twenties and I think that aside from wanting to be with someone, people just think that it's what you're supposed to do once you've found someone you love and get along with.

Another reason why I think people (these days, anyway) are getting married so young is because they want to fit in. This may not be the case outside of my little town, but once someone gets married, they post a lot of pictures on Facebook and everyone can see them. When people are young, they are impressionable and seeing all their friends get married may make them feel like they have to as well.

I've also noticed a lot of my friends and acquaintances have been having children before they are 20 years old (and before they are married), so marriage seems like a natural next step.

I'm not saying anything negative; just my observations!

8. dashingscorpio profile image79
    dashingscorpioposted 12 years ago

I suspect it comes down to having a limited vision for what the future might hold. For others they believe they have found their "soul mate" although they have no idea of (who they are). Awhile back I wrote a hub titled "5 Reasons Why Men Should Not Get Married".  The number one reason I site is not knowing (who you are) before merging your life with another person. It's important to get an education and establish a career path prior to getting married and starting a family in my opinion. What seems like the "ideal mate" at age 18 or 21 may not be perfect for you at 30 or 35.
    Lastly there are those young people who believe that getting married makes them "grown" or "mature" adults. They often come to regret throwing away their youth and taking on so many responsibilies when their friends come home for college breaks or tell them about their plans to take an exotic vacation. In the mean time the young married couple is stuck changing diapers, paying bills, and wondering what life might have been like if they had chosen a different path.

http://dashingscorpio.hubpages.com/hub/ … et-Married

9. JEDIJESSICUH profile image76
    JEDIJESSICUHposted 12 years ago

I got married last year when I was nineteen. Nothing has changed since we got married. We haven't begun to see each other differently or woken up and realized that what we have isn't love. In fact, we're a month away from the birth of our first child.

To the people who think those of us who get married are young and stupid: I think you don't know the whole story. Not all people who get married young do so because of limited view or whatever it is some of you have mentioned. Some young people ARE capable of making the right choice when it comes to love and marriage.

That's not to say there aren't thousands of couples out there who prove my statement wrong every year. However, I don't think it's right to lump my husband and I in with them just because we got married at nineteen and twenty. It's not as though we didn't think about our options and our future.

To answer the poster: we got married so young because we were in love. People in their twenties and thirties do the same thing, but only because we're a few years or decades younger than them do we get persecuted for it. My husband was in the military and leaving to another state and we didn't know when we were going to see each other again. It was either see each other once every few months or spend the rest of our lives together. We were already headed in that direction. So we went all in.

Should I wake up when I'm 30 and find out that my husband isn't the right man for me, I'll come back and retract this answer. But until then: I made the right choice, young or not. I'm not stupid for doing it. I wasn't trying to just attach myself to someone. I didn't want to make another family because I was separating from my own. I was in love. I'm still in love. And I bet I'll still be in love thirty years from now.

10. Sincerely Rachel profile image59
    Sincerely Rachelposted 12 years ago

A friend of mine got married just after turning eighteen without telling her parents. She moved in with the guy after high school graduation, again, without telling her parents. I believe her reasoning behind this had something to do with how strict, and over-bearing they were. She's always been rebellious; after moving out, she once told me "My mom never let me go around barefoot, so now I do whatever I want. I go to the grocery store without shoes on!" Smart girl huh? I love her to death but she doesn't make the best decisions. We aren't very close anymore but last I heard, she and her husband were seperated for the third time in a year. Everyone's pretty sure it's for real this time, but who knows with these two!?

11. profile image49
    karkarrrposted 12 years ago

It depends on the person and the culture. I grew up and matured under the Western culture but since moving to the East, it is completely different. In the West, most people marry young because they believe they are inlove (or, if they are pregnant) and sometimes, young people are naive and don't think things through. But then again, it really depends on the couple. Rare are the young couples that last. In the East, people marry young because it is expected that by the time you reach 25 at the oldest, you are supposed to be married, have kids, irregardless of your financial stability which I think is ridiculous.
    Also, because our generation unfortunately, sees marriage as the new 'dating'. Most people don't take marriage as seriously as they should because now, it is so easy to get a divorce.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)