jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Once a cheater, always a cheater?

1. Anika Vaghela profile image74
    Anika Vaghelaposted 6 years ago

Once a cheater, always a cheater?

Personally, I don't think so, but it's questionable...

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5912398_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Indigitalposted 6 years ago

Depends on the person I guess, there are people that are compulsive cheats but others who have a heart and did it for a reason. It's questionable, but it all depends on the person.

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

Intellectually we know it's not always true. However to simplify things and in an effort to protect themselves many people adopt that "chant" as a way of life. In all honesty if someone can quit using drugs, stop smoking, or stop drinking then it stands to reason a person could stop cheating if they wanted to. Human beings are capable of great change. However it is important to note that people change when (they) want to change.

4. Seeker7 profile image96
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

It does depend on the person. I would say that most people can change their ways if they have a big enough incentive to do so. I think where many mistakes can be made in relationships is where one partner feels that they can make the other change their personality and outlook to suit them. This is not usually the case and people will only change when they see it's beneficial to do so and if the benefits are good enough.

There are other people who are quite happy with who and what they are - and that includes the ones that know their behaviour is not good - it is very difficult to get someone like this to change anything about themselves. It's a case with them of accept them as they are, warts n' all, or reject them, there is no in between.

5. LisaKoski profile image96
    LisaKoskiposted 6 years ago

It definitely depends on the person and the real stregth behind the relationship. If things continue to not work, that person is more likely to go off and cheat again. I've been cheated on and it took a lot of work to get through but now our relationship has grown stronger and I know he will never do it again. He faced a lot of ridicule and shame for it from others and to this day has a hard time dealing with others asking about it or me giving advice to those going through what I went through. Some men would've walked away a long time ago or, if they're a real jerk, continued what they'd done before but he didn't and hasn't. That's what makes him proof that the "once a cheater, always a cheater" phrase isn't completely true.

6. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

The problem with cheating is the fact that in cheating, the one who cheats has put their own wishes and desires before the feelings of their partner.  If they are not happy and find themselves wanting someone else then they need to "man up," or "woman up" and tell their partner is it over before acting on their desires for another.

So if they cheat once, you would have to know their tendency to disregard the feelings of their partner had changed and that they no longer would put their own needs first.  If that growth has happened, then there might be hope.

7. xethonxq profile image64
    xethonxqposted 6 years ago

I think so. Once you overcome that internal barrier it's too easy to keep breaking it down unless you have worked very hard to build it back up.

8. catchpennyfashion profile image60
    catchpennyfashionposted 6 years ago

I think it depends on the person and the reasons why he/she cheated. I don't agree with cheating however I did once and regreated it and have not done so again. The reason why I cheated was because my boy friend would barely touch me or kiss me, always making up excuses like he didn't like PDA. It turned out he was gay.

working