jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What's a reasonable time should couples be engaged before they get married?

1. dl53acy profile image75
    dl53acyposted 6 years ago

What's a reasonable time should couples be engaged before they get married?

2. MsDora profile image95
    MsDoraposted 6 years ago

Eleven or twelve months.  It seems reasonable to be married after one year of being engaged.

3. Nate Ahern profile image60
    Nate Ahernposted 6 years ago

Long enough to plan the wedding well.  No longer.

4. xethonxq profile image64
    xethonxqposted 6 years ago

I'd say 1 to 1 1/2 years. I think it takes time to get things organized for the wedding plus it give the couple time to really talk about their individual desires about their married life to be.

5. lostdogrwd profile image61
    lostdogrwdposted 6 years ago

when the two know that there are ready for a life commitment to one another. how ever long or short that time be and for the two to know.

6. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

I would say don't let the calendar dictate when you should get engaged. One of the keys to having a successful marriage is making sure (you are both on the same page and want the same things). Every marriage will have it's challenges but at the very least it should start off with (both people "wanting" to get married). In order for him/her to be "the one" they must also see you as being "the one". That's not something you can demand from a person.
    It takes more time to truly to get to know someone then most people are willing to invest.
    Dating essentially is the "due diligence" phase of a relationship where you want to find out how your mate feels about everything you consider important. Opposites may attract in the short run but it's like that attracts like in the long run.
    Too many people choose to ignore the clues/signs of potential problems when they are "determined to get married". The wedding is just one day. Nothing "magical" happens after saying "I do".
    You want to make sure the two of you (agree on the important things in life) as well as on the strategy for obtaining them. Life is too short to spend time trying to change water into wine or fit square pegs into round holes.

7. juiwei2000 profile image61
    juiwei2000posted 6 years ago

I would say, you should only consider marriage if you dated for three years and you should only get married after you are engaged for one year