How long should you stay with someone that is an alcoholic?

1. Deborah Brooks profile image79
    Deborah Brooksposted 6 years ago

How long should you stay with someone that is an alcoholic?

If you are living with a alcoholic with children in the house how long  should you put up with this abuse? If there is children in the house and you love the person and they are soul bread winner of the household. You want to help them but the more you try and help the worst he gets.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6365741_f260.jpg

2. beadreamer247 profile image71
    beadreamer247posted 6 years ago

What to do when alcohol becomes an issue in a relationship, especially with children. read more

3. Lawrence Da-vid profile image60
    Lawrence Da-vidposted 6 years ago

Unfortunately, I had a step father that was an abusive alcoholic and a mother that realized the pitfalls of the "drink" and started abstaining completely.  While Dad's drinking became worse, the dividing line became wider until divorce was completed.  What is the problem, these drinkers don't realize that they have a problem.  They're so accustomed to it, it becomes an integeral part of life.  Inability to function without booze.  Prior to that, I had a step-mother  that could care less if I lived or died, and a father that used me as a whipping post to stem his anger.  Which was worse?  I personally will take the semi to alcoholic step father and paternal loving and caring mother, to the opposite, and side with her to get out of the situation.  Fortunately, when I became an adult and read him the absolute riot act, did his behavior change....for the better.  That and the fact that "Mom" smacked him on the top of the head with a sterling silver bread pan and knocked him out.  Remarriage was in the forecast but he succomed to the prior abuse and crossed over to the other side.

working