How long should an engagement lasts?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 6 years ago

How long should an engagement lasts?

In preparation for the big event - the wedding, how long should the couple wait before they finally tie the knot.

2. SubRon7 profile image61
    SubRon7posted 6 years ago

Well, that depends. Does she smile a lot, or is she mad half the time? Is she warm and loving, or is she cold and untouchable? Is she a golddigger, or maybe she doesn't worry about how much money you make? Does she have a job, a career, or will she want to be a "stay-at-home" mom? Kids or not. Does she know how to do stuff, or will you and your mother and sisters have to teach her everything? And if you do have to teach her will she be open to that?
    Prettydarkhorse, there are so many, many, MANY, things to consider before even gettng engaged, let alone married, but don't start asking her these same questions, for I can almost guarantee she won't like it, but you can observe, and you can, stealthily, broach certain subjects.
    Gals, I wrote this from a man's point of view, but you gals need to look even closer at your man before agreeing to anything.

3. neco555 profile image89
    neco555posted 5 years ago

In the end, it all depends on the couple.  I have a cousin that was engaged for 3 months before the big day while I am currently engaged and will be engaged for a total of 19 months before my wedding.  It shouldn't be like the couple is just waiting for a time frame so that they can get married.  It is a conscious decision that should have meaning to the couple.

There are countless reasons why an engagement should last any of amount of time, like wedding preparations, celebrating the engagement, family contraints (time/travel), seasonal preferance.  While the final decision is up to the couple, there are many variables that can change when the optimal date for family, friends, and everyone involved is.  The length of time to be engaged is a personal choice and shouldn't necessarily hinge on what anyone else says or experienced.  It only matters on how the couple prioritized some of the topics I listed above.  While some might matter more to one couple, they may not matter at all to another. 

Personally, I like having the longer engagement so there's more time to enjoy it and plan the wedding.  Helps keep the couple relaxed and not stressed out about everything that's going on but instead focused on what the day/event/milestone means as opposed to just getting it over with and moving on.  This also makes for a better start to the marriage (I would assume as I'm not married yet haha ).

Again, it is up to the couple and their decision should be respected by the family and friends no matter what it is as it is their lives and one of the most important times in their relationship.  Hope this answers your question.

working