jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Is marriage more than just a civil union? In what way?

1. Brett Winn profile image88
    Brett Winnposted 6 years ago

Is marriage more than just a civil union? In what way?

I seem to hear a lot of debate these days as to whether marriage is an institution that belongs solely to the church (in origin) and whether (or not) a civil union is different. I am interested in your thoughts!

2. Shahid Bukhari profile image61
    Shahid Bukhariposted 6 years ago

Marriage ... is the Union of Souls ...
    Bodies are the means ...
    And children ... the Bond that hold the Institution, together.
    It Belongs to the Parties Concerned ...
    Not Church, or Clergy.

But in the Materialistic society you live in today ...
    They have devised a "Physical" definition of this Union ...

Now marriage is an Institution, based in "sexual" compatibilities ...
    where covetous millionaires,
    can marry ambitious girls ... fifty years their junior ...
    for Money ...

Where boys and girls ... marry for money ... power ... status.
    Where kids, are the responsibility of "others" ...

A civil Union ... is merely giving Physical activities ...
    within a Civil Union ... a Legal Sanction.
    Because, the Moral sanction ... of "Live In ... is still far off.

3. profile image0
    erickcbposted 6 years ago

I can tell you that marriage for me was a personal, soulful choice. I married the one when I was young. There is a beautiful rhythm that you can hear in the presence of your soul mate. There is a light that is unseeable that you know is there when you hug and kiss. The feeling you get when you are with out that person even for five minutes feels like the weight of gravity increases. There is something special about marriage and I feel like it has lost its meaning. I have a connection to my best friend, my wife that no ones else knows. I she and I can sense each others ups and downs when we are miles away. Today I felt queasy after a long workout, and then seconds later my wife texts me that she felt queasy for no reason! These things happen to us on a daily basis. There is really nothing like marriage if it is to the right one. Two people become one. This is no lie.

4. jirel profile image69
    jirelposted 6 years ago

I like Shahid Bukhari's answer.Yes, marriage is the union of souls making them one.I believe that our life cannot be complete if we don't marry.Marriage is a must to make our life a complete life.Marriage gives rise to a family.

5. Becky Katz profile image83
    Becky Katzposted 6 years ago

A marriage does not even need a legal binding. I prefer it because I am a Christian but a marriage is a binding of two souls. Two people who feel as one. My husband has such an emotional and soulful contact with me, that he knew I was pregnant before I had any idea. He also had the morning sickness, not me. My father did the same. He had the morning sickness and my mom never did. These have been made legal but they are of the soul.

6. Eric Prado profile image77
    Eric Pradoposted 6 years ago

Not anymore. Too much legality has been pulled into marriage that the point has been lost. Just because people want to get married shouldn't mean ANY politic or legality should be involved. The entire point of marriage has been lost and It is doubtful it will ever be recovered.

7. MobyWho profile image60
    MobyWhoposted 6 years ago

A loaded question: a marriage and a civil union can be equally uniting...it's a matter of legality for the disposition of money, enjoying the employee benefits of your 'mate', or the ability to stay with him/her during final illnesses.

It hurts me to see 'unmarried' couples who have adopted children being discriminated against when they are probably some of the most loving, involved parents around.

So, my answer is "no" - others have answered the spiritual aspects of being attached to another person, with or without anyone else's blessing.

8. Admiral Murrah profile image71
    Admiral Murrahposted 5 years ago

With the use of civil unions for marriage come problems associated with the weakness of contractual obligations. read more

working