Is marriage more than just a civil union? In what way?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Brett Winn profile image81
    Brett Winnposted 12 years ago

Is marriage more than just a civil union? In what way?

I seem to hear a lot of debate these days as to whether marriage is an institution that belongs solely to the church (in origin) and whether (or not) a civil union is different. I am interested in your thoughts!

2. Shahid Bukhari profile image60
    Shahid Bukhariposted 12 years ago

Marriage ... is the Union of Souls ...
    Bodies are the means ...
    And children ... the Bond that hold the Institution, together.
    It Belongs to the Parties Concerned ...
    Not Church, or Clergy.

But in the Materialistic society you live in today ...
    They have devised a "Physical" definition of this Union ...

Now marriage is an Institution, based in "sexual" compatibilities ...
    where covetous millionaires,
    can marry ambitious girls ... fifty years their junior ...
    for Money ...

Where boys and girls ... marry for money ... power ... status.
    Where kids, are the responsibility of "others" ...

A civil Union ... is merely giving Physical activities ...
    within a Civil Union ... a Legal Sanction.
    Because, the Moral sanction ... of "Live In ... is still far off.

3. profile image0
    erickcbposted 12 years ago

I can tell you that marriage for me was a personal, soulful choice. I married the one when I was young. There is a beautiful rhythm that you can hear in the presence of your soul mate. There is a light that is unseeable that you know is there when you hug and kiss. The feeling you get when you are with out that person even for five minutes feels like the weight of gravity increases. There is something special about marriage and I feel like it has lost its meaning. I have a connection to my best friend, my wife that no ones else knows. I she and I can sense each others ups and downs when we are miles away. Today I felt queasy after a long workout, and then seconds later my wife texts me that she felt queasy for no reason! These things happen to us on a daily basis. There is really nothing like marriage if it is to the right one. Two people become one. This is no lie.

4. jirel profile image73
    jirelposted 12 years ago

I like Shahid Bukhari's answer.Yes, marriage is the union of souls making them one.I believe that our life cannot be complete if we don't marry.Marriage is a must to make our life a complete life.Marriage gives rise to a family.

5. Becky Katz profile image80
    Becky Katzposted 12 years ago

A marriage does not even need a legal binding. I prefer it because I am a Christian but a marriage is a binding of two souls. Two people who feel as one. My husband has such an emotional and soulful contact with me, that he knew I was pregnant before I had any idea. He also had the morning sickness, not me. My father did the same. He had the morning sickness and my mom never did. These have been made legal but they are of the soul.

6. Eric Prado profile image71
    Eric Pradoposted 12 years ago

Not anymore. Too much legality has been pulled into marriage that the point has been lost. Just because people want to get married shouldn't mean ANY politic or legality should be involved. The entire point of marriage has been lost and It is doubtful it will ever be recovered.

7. MobyWho profile image60
    MobyWhoposted 12 years ago

A loaded question: a marriage and a civil union can be equally uniting...it's a matter of legality for the disposition of money, enjoying the employee benefits of your 'mate', or the ability to stay with him/her during final illnesses.

It hurts me to see 'unmarried' couples who have adopted children being discriminated against when they are probably some of the most loving, involved parents around.

So, my answer is "no" - others have answered the spiritual aspects of being attached to another person, with or without anyone else's blessing.

8. Admiral Murrah profile image67
    Admiral Murrahposted 11 years ago

With the use of civil unions for marriage come problems associated with the weakness of contractual obligations. read more

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)