jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Gays have been approved for civil union, why not polygamists?

1. proton66 profile image63
    proton66posted 7 years ago

Gays have been approved for civil union, why not polygamists?

Polygamy - one man and many wives. Unionigamy (my new terminology for civil union) - one man/woman and one man/woman. Both are unacceptable behaviors or odd situations but only one is approved. Don't polygamists have rights?

2. krillco profile image93
    krillcoposted 7 years ago

Indeed. In Old Testament Bible times, men had more than one wife, but not the other way around.

Many people confuse religion with culture, using religion to legitimize their cultural or political position.

Let's remember that at one time in this country, it was legal to own a person.

Since we are a democracy, law is what the majority of people say it is. Morals, on the other hand, are something completely different, impacted by culture and law, but not quite the same.

My spirituality informs me that God cares not a whit about our combination of love relationships, the real issue is the love and pain (sin) we can cause those we love, or those we should not be hurting...and when people have more than one erotic partner, there is a far, far greater potential to let loose such pain.

3. kerryg profile image86
    kerrygposted 7 years ago

Polygamy (or polyandry) is not something I personally would be interested in, but as long as it occurs between consenting adults, I really don't see any reason why it should be illegal. It's been the norm in many societies historically, and still is in some.

I also kind of feel like legalizing it might make it easier to keep an eye on abusive situations like the FLDS polygamists who often take young teenagers as wives. If they had to register polygamous marriages legally like any other, it would be that much easier to determine which wives and which children belong to which man, and if the 13 year old in the corner is really supposed to be there or if she's a "bride."

4. Nicole1963 profile image60
    Nicole1963posted 7 years ago

Yes you are correct that polygamists deserve equal rights as much as any other marriage between aware, consenting adults. Personally I would not be interested in having multiple spouses as one sometimes seems too much…lol… and I am sure she feels the same way about me at times. However, just because I do not choose to engage in polygamy does not mean that others shouldn’t.

Now before some misguided individual attempts to bring up the ridiculous argument about why not allow marriage to animals of some other ridiculous object then. I will simply point out that they are unable to give their informed adult consent thus a contract could not be entered into with them. One could construct a contract with another individual for them but not with them.

5. profile image0
    onelittlecactusposted 6 years ago

Although polygamy is something I don't quite understand, as I, even just having to share my best friend with somebody else, will get so jealous, I could tear someone apart, I think, why not? Everybody has the right to do what they want to do, as long as it doesn't affect people who do not want to take part in this. So, I suggest we legalise this stuff, because, seriously, we live in the 21st century and things have to change.

working