jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Have you ever said "im sorry" to a friend even if its not your fault just to mak

1. unknown spy profile image74
    unknown spyposted 5 years ago

Have you ever said "im sorry" to a friend even if its not your fault just to make peace with them?

2. rahul0324 profile image82
    rahul0324posted 5 years ago

Yes! I don't even remember how many times... but yes... just afraid not to lose them... I would say sorry even if it was not my  fault!  But soon I realized not all of them are worth it, just a few!

3. danstanton profile image61
    danstantonposted 5 years ago

I have apologized for things which I was not to blame. At times we have to take ownership of the maintenance for our friendships. I have had times when I knew an I'm sorry would fix the problem. Now that I am a little older I am willing to give the apology with out prompting.

4. Patty Inglish, MS profile image93
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 5 years ago

That is not peace, but undeserved control exerted by the other person; and it is dishonest and can become codependent. It can lead to simmering  issues, stuffed feelings and relationships that do not work. Many people can learn sooner or later to talk things out and accept responsibility honestly for their part in misunderstandings. Sometimes a cooling off period is needed first.

5. forall profile image60
    forallposted 5 years ago

I often do it. I prefer to say sorry, even if I am not the mistaken, rather than being pressurized for some time because of a problem. The thing which I find good is that people understand that they were the mistaken ones after I say sorry and they apologize.

6. Lawrence Da-vid profile image60
    Lawrence Da-vidposted 5 years ago

I too have bowed down and assumed fault just to make peace with someone considered a friend.  Only thing is, when you lower yourself to accomplish this demeaning task, the satisfaction derived is short lived.  The person you apologize to, 99 percent of the  time, develops the "I knew it" attitude, and in the long run; you've assumed fault for naught.  Age has taught me not to assume responsibility for anything I'm not guilty of....regardless.  In the case of an apology to someone in a marriage for behavior you didn't perform, it's a double bind situation.  Most of the time, you're cursed if you do and your cursed  if you don't

7. Esther Earl profile image55
    Esther Earlposted 5 years ago

Yes, to have peace, to end the arguments and to let them know I value our friendship more than what i stand for! But lately I realized it's not always right, sometimes we should also help them realize the world is not always for them to manipulate by being firm...

8. kj force profile image74
    kj forceposted 5 years ago

I have on many occasions been the one to apologize regardless of who's fault it was..just to make peace..however..if the situation continues I may slowly bow out of the relationship..who would want to have friends like that ? I like people who take responsibilty for their words/actions and move on..by the way if you allow this behavior to continue you become co-dependent and this is not healthy....great question..remember, this is your life, why clutter it with extra baggage/garbage ?

9. bravewarrior profile image92
    bravewarriorposted 5 years ago

I used to do that all the time with my two ex-husbands just to clear the thick-as-peanut-butter-air in my home upon my arrival.  I no longer do that because I refuse to be uncomfortable in my own home.  I "fired" both husbands and no longer tolerate those who can't communicate and/or admit they are at fault.  (When I'm wrong or have unintentionally offended someone, I will be the first to admit it.) Too many times I've found men hear something other than what I say.  It is very frustrating for me to tell them (constantly!)  "I mean what I say and I say what I mean.  LISTEN to the words that come out of my mouth!"  Sheesh!  I'd rather be alone!  I talk to myself all the time and I know EXACTLY what I'm saying!
    No more apologies, unless I have regret for the words that come out of my mouth.