What advice would you give to a six year old whose parents are going through a d

1. skylergreene profile image61
    skylergreeneposted 5 years ago

What advice would you give to a six year old whose parents are going through a divorce?

2. lovelife08 profile image59
    lovelife08posted 5 years ago

My parents divorced when I was 4, and then my dad got married and divorced again when I was 6 or 7. I didn't really understand what was going on during either of them. I didn't realize that it hurt me until I was much older and learned what divorce was. The only thing I knew at the time was that Mommy and me lived in one house, and Daddy lived in another.

That's my personal experience. Some kids may or may not know the meaning of a divorce. The child you're talking about, does he/she know what divorce means? If not, don't think too much of it, but still be vigilant of the situation. If so, I would remind him/her that the parents are having some problems that they need to sort out and that it is not the child's fault.

3. Lisa HW profile image73
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

I wouldn't give advice to a six-year-old.  I'd have plenty of advice to give to divorce lawyers and the judges who so often completely disregard what is true, right, and best for the child; and who, instead, do things "by the books", "because it's how things are always done in these cases", or because they're otherwise incapable of doing what's right for the child.

I'd also have some advice for the divorcing the parents.

If six-year-olds (and children of all ages had a) parents who were capable of doing what's right by them, and b) a court system in which truth (not winning) mattered; those six-year-olds wouldn't need anybody's advice; because they'd have what they need - which is supportive, caring, adults who help them get through the difficult time of their parents' divorce by doing what is right for the six-year-old question (considering that the divorce cannot be "optional" for some reason).

working