jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What's the secret to a long happy, healthy marriage?

1. ThunderKeys profile image62
    ThunderKeysposted 5 years ago

What's the secret to a long happy, healthy marriage?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6596318_f260.jpg

2. ASchwartz profile image71
    ASchwartzposted 5 years ago

What a sweet picture.

I think it's learning how to fight fair and compromise.

3. hair bender profile image68
    hair benderposted 5 years ago

Communication, respect, empathy, genuinely liking the person you are married to.  Never forget to court your mate.  Pray for your mate on a daily basis.

4. Angelladywriter profile image67
    Angelladywriterposted 5 years ago

Establishing a pesonal relationship with the true God, Jehovah. This taught us how to love and respect each other based on what our Grand Creator, instructed us to do within the arrangement of marriage. By carefully studying God's word, we learn how to adjust our thinking in order to maintain a happy, healthy, marriage that is pleasing to God and our marriage mate.

5. profile image0
    writeronlineposted 5 years ago

Not to sound too pat, but I wrote a Hub describing the things that have helped my wife and I to enjoy our 42yr marriage (and counting..). The end summary reads;

So, what’s the secret to a long and fulfilling marriage?

1: Same as it ever was: Love. Respect. Honour. (Like it says on the cue card..)

2: Remember, you get married to be with each other; not to become each other.

3: If you're looking for a long term relationship where the person opposite you is always in agreement; don’t get married. Get a mirror.
    To us, it's about being true to yourself, and not just recognising each others differences, but actively enjoying those differences. Love the one you're with, don't try and mould them into some other ideal.
    Of course, if you're not in love, don't even begin the journey.

http://writeronline.hubpages.com/hub/Ge … Each-Other

6. Schatzie Speaks profile image93
    Schatzie Speaksposted 5 years ago

i'd say a willingness to compromise for the benefit of the other and being genuinely interested in the other person's happiness.

Compromising is very important! Inflexibility is fundamentally putting yourself first, your wants/needs/and desires before that of your partner and I believe it is wrong to do so. At the same point continually sacrificing for the sake of the other is not a good thing either! Giving and taking, modifying goals and expectations so that neither person feels unimportant, frustrated, or ignored is a good approach.

Further, giving the other person freedom and the space to express himself or herself is the only way to ensure they are truly happy. Let your husband go fishing or on an all-guys hunting trip, let your wife get her spa day in with her friends. Let them keep the less-than-ideal paying job they love! Do not be controlling. Let them achieve a happy balance in life and be able to escape stressors or monotony when they need to and be ok with it.

If your marriage is a good one you should WANT to do all of these things for your spouse simply because you know that it would make him or her happy.

working