jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Is it ok to stay in touch with opposite sex friends and ex-partners, while in a

1. beadreamer247 profile image70
    beadreamer247posted 5 years ago

Is it ok to stay in touch with opposite sex friends and ex-partners, while in a relationship?

I would like to know how you feel about the idea of your partner being in touch with opposite sex friends and ex-partners. Would you demand to end all those relationships or would you accept them and make it an equal deal that you are allowed to have contacts the same way?

2. MsDora profile image93
    MsDoraposted 5 years ago

According to the comments on my hub "How To Prevent Conflict When An Ex Makes Contact," it is okay in some situations, but not in others. 

If there are children from the ex-relationship, the ex-partners may need to stay in touch, however limited.

If there was a sexual relationship which ended without children, no need to stay in touch. 

If there was just a platonic good-friend relationship, probably not harmful. However, respect, loyalty, trust and other relationship boundaries have to be in place.

beadreamer247posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I strongly agree with you in most cases. Just not sure if there is no way of also just being friends with a previous partner....

3. Diane Woodson profile image59
    Diane Woodsonposted 5 years ago

No, It could easily give the impression that he still wanted to look around for something, A definite no. The ex partner would assume that he were looking at her again, I think this only spells trouble for any good relationship.

4. algarveview profile image87
    algarveviewposted 5 years ago

I guess it much depends on the personality of each person. For instance, I wouldn't like it at all, I would not demand that my partner would end all the contacts, but I would expect him to want to end it. If he wouldn't, he would not be the right man for me and I would think about moving on... But I understand there are people who think differently and don't care about that, so it much depends. You have to consider your partner and what he expects of you and also if you would or will stand for him to have contacts also...

It seems you have to leave any previous friendship with an opposite sex behind you? Even if it was just pure friends and never any relationship involved? So, your partner would only be allowed to have male friends and you only female?

5. savvydating profile image95
    savvydatingposted 5 years ago

That depends upon whether there are any embers left from the fire. Usually, the past is best left alone. Ask yourself this: Would you be fine with having your current mate along whenever you meet with your old partner?

1. Diane Woodson profile image59
      Diane Woodsonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I like your way of thinking...doing what you say could keep allot of fights from taking place over this issue.

2. beadreamer247 profile image70

Well, that would never be the case, unless the ex partner and current have been friends before or such. By staying in touch I mean much more a separate thing - I would not want to have an ex and a current partner at the same table.

3. savvydating profile image95
      savvydatingposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Long story short, it is best to stay away from an ex if you have a current partner. Why risk hurt feelings? My opinion is that you make a clean break from your past, once and for all.

6. feenix profile image60
    feenixposted 5 years ago

All I know is that always worked out very well for "Seinfeld" and "Elaine."

working