What is too big an age difference... older woman younger man? Serious

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (38 posts)
  1. profile image52
    rialeeposted 14 years ago

I have been on my own for many years (2 decades)firstly through choice, then through my own fussy standards.
    Recently I met a younger man whom I had conversed with regularly for about a year before we met.
    He said we had an instant connection. We spent a weekend together, had several other platonic 'dates' and we have not had sex. He lives about 600miles from where I live and so its hard to see each other regularly. We communicate via msn and phone, sometimes 2/3 times a day. He has suddenly stopped txting as much and phone conversations have shortened though they are still frequent. What could be the cause of this? Could he be seeing someone else? Could it be because of our age difference? (he said no to this when asked). Could it just be the long distance?
    Should I just let it go and move on?

1. DogSiDaed profile image60
      DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why ask here? Why not ask a trusted friend or someone you know, who can evaluate the situation better than a stranger?

1. profile image0
        Kenrick Chatmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It could be the distance. 600 miles is like a 8-10 hour drive depending on how fast you are driving. It may be too expensive to catch a flight on a regular basis due to the current economic conditions.

Since, a man has needs he may be speaking with other women who are local. Likewise, he does not have as much time to speak with you like he once did. Or he may just got busy with family during the holidays.

2. profile image52
        rialeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this
    2. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And why didn't you had sex ??
      That's very strange !
      I'm sure he wanted.
      Or he was the one who didn't ?

1. profile image52
        1. tantrum profile image60
          tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, if he's not gay ,and don't want to have relations with you, maybe he has sexual problems, or he doesn't like you. Anyway, someone that's not sincere with you, and don't tell what's happening, is not worth the trouble.. Sorry!

3. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

he's just not that into you. if he was he'd be all over himself trying to get to you, you know this right? let him go.

4. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why did it take a year before you met?  Having known each other that long, why didn't you get intimate when you did finally meet (not on the first date but one of the subsequent ones).  I can't imagine many men being that patient, especially if he's young. 

Maybe he's been waiting for a signal that you're ready to go to the next stage and you're not giving it, so he's given up. 

You don't say what the age difference is.  I've seen relationships with a 12 to 14 year age gap work very successfully.  It's more likely to be the distance that's the issue.

1. profile image52

TY too..for your response...IT WAS NOT ME  it was him that did not try anything... He knows how I feel.

5. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

morning rialee, thanks for sharing your problem here, it is also nice if you can talk to him honest to goodness talk, the earlier to know whats going on is better, I hope your relationship with him will trun out to be more positive after talking to him,
      good day to you

1. profile image52

TY for your response hun. I guess I would need a whole page or more to tell about this properly. We have talked and he said he was a little scared cos his last 2 relationships ended VERY badly. I knew his last relationship ended before him. The one before that was bad too, his fiance left him after moving to a new town, she met someone in the 1st week and left him. Sad but true. so so complicated.
        Might just give it the flick...TY

2. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

no age is big, they can meet in the bed hehehehe, tall long short, old young it is ok as long as you love each other

1. profile image52

Hey,
      I responded to you but neglected to put your quote in my response.
      I hope you can find it in all the responses. TY for your time and some great thoughts on my issue.
      cheers

3. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Where's the OP ?
    I'm curious !
    answer my questions ,please ! big_smile

4. Fishing Videos profile image56
    Fishing Videosposted 14 years ago

I married my baby sitter who is 17 years younger. I know what you are thinking. She was over 25 and we are still happily married.

1. profile image52

TY for your response...AND you don't know what I was thinking...Good for you..if you are happy its all good...the age gap for me is I'm 49 and he is 35.

5. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Are you rich?

1. profile image52

NO...I AM NOT RICH NOR POOR

6. Dao Hoa profile image62
    Dao Hoaposted 14 years ago

1.    Now that he met you. I think it is the combination of all of the reasons above.

He was a stand up guy and he was waiting for your signal. You did not give him the signal to go forward. Then the distance makes it expensive to hold on to the not very promising relationship. Since you were not intimate after a few dates, he gave up on you because man at this age does not wait too long for it.

By now, he probably has met somebody else and he let you down gently by reducing the frequency of contact. May be he keeping contact because he just wants your friendship!

Usually older man and younger woman couple works better because of the intimacy compatibility.

If you want to continue relationship with him, make another meeting in his town to find out for yourself. Good luck.

7. profile image52
    rialeeposted 14 years ago

Ty for your reply...but it was not me who did not want intimate it was him...

8. nadiaazhar profile image75
    nadiaazharposted 14 years ago

i think long distance could be the reason. i know u r going through hard tym....i had been through almost the similar situation!!

1. profile image52

Yeah well he still has lots of contact and its still the same feel to it..He is very mature for his age... If its not distance then maybe has not been honest and has had a woman all along..???
      I can feel a long break from communication comin on.
      TY 4 your comments

9. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Too much stigma for me with age differences hmm I don't enjoy being called a sugar mama (if dating younger guy) tongue but it can get annoying if the guy doesn't take no for a answer. Got to make you wonder what his motives are then hmm

1. profile image52

Hey TY. My belief was not to date anyone more than 10 yrs younger. However, I love this guy cos we are so connected in our belief/ideals and future plans etc etc etc. We are very similar in our vocations etc and we can always discuss topics without breaking out of a discussion into aggressive talk. SO suga mama or cougar never entered my head. We just fit together psychologically... alas not physically. Maybe our destiny is to JUST be friends
      cheers

10. Pamela N Red profile image83
    Pamela N Redposted 14 years ago

When online friends and lovers meet, regardless of age, we see things we cannot see through a monitor: Voice, body language and smell. Sometimes after meeting a person we aren't as enamored as we thought due to one of more of those three things not being up to our expectations.

In regard to age. I've seen many May/December relationships work out in which the woman was the older of the two, however if he wants children this can be an issue. It works best if he already has kids or doesn't want any.

Long distance relationships seldom work out unless one or the other is willing to relocate.

I will add in closing that he may be shy and needs you to make the first move. That is why my husband married me. ;o)

1. profile image52

Pamela,
      TY your comment makes a load of sense...yes it could be the child issue as well as the distance....hmmm may have to explore this avenue. Thanks again
      cheers

11. Robhastey profile image60
    Robhasteyposted 14 years ago

As far as age differnce- lets just say I am a 26 year old male,And gay- I have been around alot of people..dated alot of ages.I would have to honestly say str8-gay-bi-girl-guy a good age is within 12-15 years.(Girls,you might want to date guys a few years older because guys are all little momma's boys)

1. profile image52

I have a lesbian daughter and she has a totally different opinion to her straight sibling... TY 4 your contribution...

12. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Age difference doesn't matter to me, although I suppose at age 66 I'd hesitate to hook up with a 90 year old woman for fear she might outlive me.  Um, that's not quite as tongue in cheek as it sounds; my Mom was 9 years older than my Dad and still outlived him by 5 years.

I've been married 7 times.  Pam (current wife) and I are hooked at the hip and have been so for 13 years so far, working on 14.  She's 8 years younger.  Of all 7, the youngest was 11 years younger, and the oldest was 2 years older.  I can truthfully say that not once did age have anything whatsoever to do with the longevity of the relationship.  One of the best marriages among my friends is between a guy who was 45 and a gal who was 22 when they had their first child. 

True, he's a Viet Nam vet and an insomniac, and she's "old for her age", but still....

Ah, and one brief comment on Rob's comment:  I'm an exception to that "little Momma's boy" syndrome and always have been--by the time I was in my teens, my adage was, "I don't need a mother."  But that IS rare, so Rob IS right.  My wife was in shock about that when she met me--at age 45, she'd never before run into a man who didn't need a Momma. 

Guess the comment wasn't all that brief after all! lol

Can't quit yet.  DameScribe, I've never given a hoot about social stigma, but that's just me.  As a lady not appreciating comments like that (Sugar Mama, etc.), it's very understandable you'd choose to avoid the situation.

1. profile image52

LOLOLOLOLOL RE-READ THIS AND SEE IF YOU CAN WORK OUT y U HAVE BEEN MARRIED 7 TIMES...LOL

Seriously though TY for your comments and I have re-read them cos there is some sense in them.. TY and BOLA

13. yenajeon profile image70
    yenajeonposted 14 years ago

In terms of just age, it depends on the range. The older you both are, the less extreme differences seem to be.
    For ex., if the man is 20 and the woman is 40 thats WAY too old. But, if the man is 35 and the woman is 55, its more acceptable. By the time one is 60 and the other 80, its not much difference at all! See...

1. profile image52

Yep I agree..i am 49 and he is 35...should not matter but he's from a staight laced family so maybe it does.

14. Stimp profile image61
    Stimpposted 14 years ago

Run Foresrt Run.  If it don't come easy you better let it go...per Tanya Tucker. Age has nothing to do with it, MATURITY does.  Let him figure out what he's missin' when its gone.  i"d be like "and you r/......"  fck font feed their ego.

1. profile image52

TY TY TY  cannot say much more

15. divacratus profile image88
    divacratusposted 14 years ago

Age difference shouldn't matter at all, as long as you both are happy!

16. blondepoet profile image68
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

Seriously it does not matter to me age differences, what matters is what's in the heart,and how you feel about each other.

1. profile image52

TY 4 your comment...I agree but I am not the one holding out here so I don't know what is the problem except distance or age.
      cheers

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)