jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

What are some specific things that came as a shock in your first year of marriag

1. Janellegems profile image67
    Janellegemsposted 5 years ago

What are some specific things that came as a shock in your first year of marriage?

This can be in your spouse, inlaws, etc.

2. yeagerinvestments profile image86
    yeagerinvestmentsposted 5 years ago

My mom's jealousy about how often we visited them. She went through a period of time where she was just upset alot because we lived 5 hours away (now 8 hours) and did not visit as often as she had hoped. It was strange and completely took me off guard. It's still up in the air.

3. CriticalMessage profile image79
    CriticalMessageposted 5 years ago

When having to listen to the question "When are you going to get married?" for 6yrs?... I was shocked that once married, that question was immediately replaced by "When are you going to have kids?".. My Answer? =  "In 6yrs, when I tire of this question"...

1. Janellegems profile image67
      Janellegemsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That's very funny.  Thanks for sharing.

4. tammyswallow profile image95
    tammyswallowposted 5 years ago

My biggest shock was how bad a man's laundry could smell. Yikes!

5. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Two things really stood out. 1)  I only knew my husband for under 4 months when we married so the first time he got short tempered about something really stunned me.  He was always in a good mood on our dates so this was a complete shock.

2) We couldn't afford a honeymoon so the day after we got married, we got up and he asked me what I was making for breakfast. WHO ME?  I came from a very independent family where we fed ourselves and it wasn't necessarily the "woman's job" to cook. I figured hey - you're a big boy, over 21, why do I have to feed you? Frankly, I still don't get that.

Yes, there were some tense moments and some adjustments that first year.  Worked out, it is now 42 years later.

6. Globetrekkermel profile image77
    Globetrekkermelposted 5 years ago

LOL ,I love this question. And I love to answer this with hilarity. I lived with my husband before we got married and the first shock that I got is how open my parents were with the  live in arrangement with my then boyfriend  now husband . I was pretty radical for my parents standards as far as relationships with the opposite sex . I wanted to test the waters first before settling down and I was the very first one of all my sisters to "live in sin" before getting married.Coming from a close knit family where  family morals are  firmly in place, I suspected to take on a guilt beating especially from my dad but  surprise of surprises, he was all for it and even offered his and my mom's  house for us to stay until we are able to save enough money for our first house.
    The other shock is my boyfriend then but husband now is completely clueless when it comes to handyman skills.! Oh la la , mama mia madre de dios!  Changing light bulbs ? - he will call an electrician( I did not make this up, this is honest to goodness truth) Even now, I change the bulbs at home. He claims he is an intellectual and he gets paid by the thought. He does not do lightbulbs. We still crack up on this whenever I have to change lightbulbs at home. LOL!