jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Is it expected in a new relationship to give a gift every month to celebrate the

1. agoins profile image72
    agoinsposted 5 years ago

Is it expected in a new relationship to give a gift every month to celebrate the milestone?

2. backporchstories profile image81
    backporchstoriesposted 5 years ago

Great Expectations!  Expectations can often create disappointment when they are not achieved.  Putting those expectations on a new relationship can be stressful and kill the relationship in a quick way.  Instead, parties of the new relationship can honor those milestones by simply recognizing them verbal, physically and spending the time together learning more about each other.  Reserve the gift giving for the bigger achievements.

3. Ellana317 profile image79
    Ellana317posted 5 years ago

LOL... Negative.  I don't expect for anyone to buy me a gift every month to celebrate making it through 30-31 more days.  I think that takes the edge off of the excitement of an actual 1 year anniversary.  Now if a man wants to buy me gifts just because...I'll definitely recieve that.  LOL...

4. sethpowers profile image70
    sethpowersposted 5 years ago

No. After the first month, it ceases to be a milestone. If gifts are your focus after only a month of dating, chances are you don't care as deeply for the other person as you think. Focus on building the relationship, not exchanging material items.

5. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

Wow, NO! I couldn't imagine doing that outside of teen years. As an adult the last thing I need in another reminder that another month has come and gone.

6. thisiknow profile image60
    thisiknowposted 5 years ago

I respectfully disagree with the other comments here. My fiancé and I celebrated our ’monthiversary’ each month up until our one year anniversary. It had nothing to do with material gifts, it was about acknowledging our feelings for each other… not that we needed a reason, but it was nice to have an excuse for writing another love poem or bringing home some more flowers. It wasn’t expected though, it just happened. Keep in mind that the most meaningful gifts are the ones that don’t cost any money!