Would you dump your mate if they made a major change in their appearance?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (22 posts)
  1. dashingscorpio profile image70
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

Would you dump your mate if they made a major change in their appearance?

Recently someone posted a question asking if people would dump their mate for gaining a lot of weight or losing a lot of weight. Very often those who admit that they would are considered "shallow". Do you feel morally obligated to stay in a relationship or marriage with someone you are no longer attracted to?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8143168_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    CalebSparksposted 11 years ago

When you were married, did you pledge to one another to be faithful in sickness and health, richer or poorer, or for better or worse? Sounds like a serious commitment to me. Do vows mean anything to anyone these days?

dashingscorpioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

CalebSparks , I believe most people have "deal breakers" no matter what vows they exchanged. Each person is also responsible for their own happiness. If someone were unhappy being with you would you want them to stay? Vow or no vow?

2. profile image0
      CalebSparksposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are looking for an easy way out to marriage. No can do. Marriage is for life. Just because people may have "deal breakers" does not make it right. You are responsible to love and be faithful to your mate.

3. dashingscorpio profile image70

There is no such thing as an "easy" way out of marriage. I have never known anyone who thought going through a divorce was fun/easy. Getting married is a LOT easier than getting divorced.
      One man's opinion! :-)

4. profile image0

True, it must be heart-wrenching. Still, the right thing to do would be to stay married.

5. Escobana profile image78
      Escobanaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The right thing to do is to keep caring about your looks, hygiene and appearance even after taking those vows. If we talk about this and someone refuses to start taking care of himself, I'd feel unimportant to him and rather leave to be happy alone.

6. profile image0

I understand what you are saying, but still marriages are not all about FEELINGS. Marriages last because the man and woman have decided to love one another no matter what.

7. Escobana profile image78

To me marriage, friendships and relationships are all about feelings, common sense and happiness. That's where we differ from opinion. Many married couples stick together because of commons sense while sacrificing their happiness. I hope you're happy

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

Life is ever changing. Our feelings and emotions aren't static. But when we marry, we vow to love, honor etc. thru sickness, health etc.  So no, if my husband changed his appearance, I would not leave him. However I might voice my feelings depending on what kind of change and why. Is he in some kind of crisis, or is his mental state okay, something like that.

We are very close and if he wanted a change I objected to, he would likely pass on it and vice versa.

4. Borsia profile image40
    Borsiaposted 11 years ago

It would depend largely on whether it was something that had been discussed prior to their doing it.
    If I had told my GF not to do something, like cutting her hair short, and she did it anyway I would consider it a deliberate lack of respect.
    Without respect there can't be any trust and without trust love is just a four letter word.

5. connorj profile image68
    connorjposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8144375_f260.jpg

Absolutely not; since our marriage is sacramental in nature I and my better-half are obligated to eventually become "one in spirit." I know that may sound "way out in left field" yet it is what we believe. Did you ever contemplate that the image of God may perhaps be inclusive of both gender's spirits melded together? This is something to ponder... Be one with God!

Yes I have considered that God is inclusive of both genders. After all GENESIS 1:26 states: “Let us make man in (our) image, after (our) likeness." The word (our) implies more than one.

2. profile image0
      tHErEDpILLposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is a horrible Photoshopping job there.  Another hour would have made a huge difference to whomever did it.

6. Rosana Modugno profile image66
    Rosana Modugnoposted 11 years ago

Why would anyone stay with someone they were no longer attracted to?   

You can't seriously expect your partner to feel the same way about you if you gain or lose weight because it's altering the whole dynamic of who you are.  You changed the person he fell in love with.  You re-negotiated the "contract".

That's my opinion.

7. Acmontero profile image61
    Acmonteroposted 11 years ago

I do not think that you even notice the change. When you are with someone you love them. Everyday as time goes things change here and there. Not to long ago, my mom tells me that she noticed my husband and gained a few pounds. I honestly did not notice. Even after she told me I still did not really see the difference. A few days after that he noticed he gained weight and he mentioned it to me. I saw it in his tummy, but It is no big deal to me.

8. Mark Ryan Briones profile image60
    Mark Ryan Brionesposted 11 years ago

Nope unless she chose to. I will accept whatever change my partner will have. And I know that my partner already knows her self, partnered with me not for she needs me, but to share together the life with our separate individual journeys, and achieving dreams. In short, I trust that whatever change my partner will choose, it is for the good.

9. Escobana profile image78
    Escobanaposted 11 years ago

If I would feel no longer attracted to my partner, I would lose my interest in making love to him or having wild sex once in a while.

I would talk about it with him and explain the risk of possibly feeling attracted to someone else in the near future. If we can't work the issue out, I would end the relationship.

I would simply end it to avoid being unfaithful to him, for the lack of sexual pleasure in our relationship. I have ended more than enough relationships after a few months due to this issue, because attraction between me and my partner is an essential part of building an intimate relationship.

I don't believe in moral obligations if this means I'll be the unhappy person, conforming myself to a relationship without true passion.

1. Escobana profile image78

Dashingscorpio:-) Thanks so much for choosing my answer as best answer. I enjoyed this question and all the other answers given here.

10. Diana Lee profile image79
    Diana Leeposted 11 years ago

My husband cuts his own hair with a pair of barber clippers.  The first time he did this I swear he looked just like Homer Simpson's father. I'm still here.  Looks are mild reasons to leave.

An unintentional bad haircut is one thing but an intentional radical change is another thing. If you were completely (repulsed) by your mate's appearance which they planned to maintain, would you stay? That is the real question. :-)

11. profile image0
    tHErEDpILLposted 11 years ago

If you are no longer attracted to your mate for any reason you will eventually leave, no matter the moral obligation.  Unless....

You are really old and have no sexual urges anymore to begin with. If this is the case you're happy with the companionship of your lover and could care less what they look like as they are no longer a person, but a soul mate.  Yes!  Score one for the Red Pill again!  Sweeet.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)