jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

Why do so many couples divorce?

1. jamesrk profile image33
    jamesrkposted 5 years ago

Why do so many couples divorce?

Somewhere between 45-50% of married couples eventually end their marriage in divorce. Do you have any explanation why this occurs?

2. ii3rittles profile image82
    ii3rittlesposted 5 years ago

The easiest and quickest explanation is sin.

3. Steadman11 profile image61
    Steadman11posted 5 years ago

I think that one of the reasons for this, is that they didn't marry for the right reason's to begin with. When you make the commitment to spend your life with someone, it should be just that...your LIFE. People don't take that as seriously as they once did. Many marry because it's convenient for their situation. Maybe they got pregnant, maybe it's a money issue, maybe they just like the idea of having a spouse. 20 years ago, things like that were rarely considered. When you married, it was because you loved someone with all your being. You couldn't imagine not having them by your side for the rest of eternity. You couldn't stand the thought of them looking into someone else's eyes and feeling what you feel for them. Today, though, it's not a serious thing. Let's get married. If it doesn't work out, there is always divorce. People no longer look at the consequences. Who wants to date someone who has 3 divorces under their belt before they even hit 30?

1. dashingscorpio profile image88
      dashingscorpioposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you getting married for the wrong reason is right up there with selecting the wrong mate! A 19 year old getting married and having a child without having money or a career path is on the road to divorce in my opinion. (one example)

4. Janellegems profile image66
    Janellegemsposted 5 years ago

It's sad when a divorce occurs.  There are many reasons why couples divorce, when conflicts arise with finances, children, inlaws and can't resolve the issues or come to an agreement and both partner can't take it anymore.  Other reasons are  not enough attention is given to the relationship, not spending time with spouse, one partner places his/her affection on career or another person over wife and kids, partner being selfish and not communicating and listening to the other partner.

I believe if a couple goes into the marriage and says, no matter what occurs, divorce will never be an option for them, we are in this together, we will do whatever it takes to get through this.  But instead they take the easy route and divorce.   The main reasons of a divorce I believe is continual adultery and any form of abuse.

1. dashingscorpio profile image88
      dashingscorpioposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I don't believe divorce is (easy) for most people.  A divorce is nothing more than saying a mistake was made. There is no amount of "communication" or  "work" that can overcome being with someone who does not want what you want.

5. dghbrh profile image77
    dghbrhposted 5 years ago

I think its the loss of faith, trust and a belief that the relationship landed in the end of it. Then, there is an increasing rate of the independence level among the individuals which gives the let go attitude. Lack of patience level may be another reason.For these reasons the divorces in couples are in higher trend according to me.

6. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 5 years ago

Jamerk, It is my humble opinion that the number one cause for divorce is and has always been (selecting the wrong mate). This happens when we don't know ourselves well enough to determine what it is we need and want from a life partner. We don't come to the marriage complete and with a plan. Other times we let circumstances rather than love dictate who or when we get married. ( pregnancy, our age, time invested in a relationship, ultimatums and so forth) Awhile back I wrote a hub titled 5 Reasons why Men Should Not Get Married. These same reasons could easily apply to women. http://dashingscorpio.hubpages.com/hub/ … et-Married

7. connorj profile image75
    connorjposted 5 years ago

Yes there is a false expectation that they will continue in eros love forever. Marriages usually do not; the love evolves/changes into a different type of love (perhaps ideally agape-like). Couples must develop what some call unconditional love or eventually they will separate into 2 worlds in one place and then drift apart entirely... It is most difficult to hold 40 or 50 years of close-quarters living with just erotic love and the absence of friendship, togetherness for the sake of others...