jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Have you ever had a guest who overstayed his or her welcome? How did you deal wi

1. hobbynob profile image79
    hobbynobposted 5 years ago

Have you ever had a guest who overstayed his or her welcome? How did you deal with it?

2. MarleneB profile image99
    MarleneBposted 5 years ago

I didn't deal with it at all. I just let the guest stay until they were tired of being at my house. I figured, if I invited the guest without a formal invitation which included a formal time to leave, then I needed to endure the time they decided to stay. My bad! But, I made sure that upon subsequent invitations, I would let the guest know what time would be the best time to end the visit. But, then again, that was after the fact. The first time, I just let them stay. There is no curteous way to tell people to leave your house - especially when you are the one who invited the guest in the first place.

3. profile image0
    vonda g nelsonposted 5 years ago

lol....this is so tricky, I'll suggest for future reference, only invite folk that you don't mind being there in the first place, whether they need to be there for a week or 3 months.  Personally, at this stage of the game I won't invite anyone to stay unless I can trust them or have no problem with them being in my space.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Oh yes!  Years ago we had a hunting pal of my husband's come with his wife and stay for 9 days and never once offered to pay for any food or help out with meals.  We were both so stressed we could hardly stand it.  We seriously thought they would never leave. 

We lived in very mountainous rural area and so there wasn't much for us to do but stare at each other.  I stopped going to the store in hopes they would make a trip and chip in.  That didn't work - the wife complained about there being nothing to eat.

When they finally left they left only because my husband's parents were scheduled for a visit. 

Both my husband and I were afraid if we said anything we would both go off on them - it was that tense for us.  As it turns out it did affect our feelings for them and we didn't extend invitations anymore.

working