Is procreation necessary for a marriage to be valid/legal?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)
  1. jlpark profile image79
    jlparkposted 11 years ago

Is procreation necessary for a marriage to be valid/legal?

Well, is it? Many of the opponents to same sex marriage state the obvious in saying - 'you cannot procreate' - as the basis of the reason that they feel SS marriage shouldn't be legal. Yet plenty of heterosexual marriages are formed by infertile couples or those who chose not to procreate.
    So my question is - is procreation necessary to form a marriage? And if so - where in marriage law is this stated?
    Also - if so - what about those who cannot conceive, choose not to conceive, or use donor due to partial infertility (one side of couple infertile).
    No name calling

2. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 11 years ago

It is funny to watch those of the radical, anti-gay wing of the religious community suddenly become "experts" in biology whenever the subject of gay marriage arises. Prior to that, they all seem to have renounced all forms of science regarding procreation, genetics, and embryotic development.

jlparkposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is, at times. People seem to think one MUST procreate, and SS can't do that - therefore they can't marry. I just want to know where in law it states that one must procreate to be marry cause I can't find it.

2. lupine profile image66
      lupineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

jlpark, the reason you can't find that law, is because it does not exist, at least not now.

3. lupine profile image66
    lupineposted 11 years ago

As far as I know, there is no law that couples must procreate to make their marriage legal or valid. I think they say this about SS couples in order to invalidate the purpose of the marriage, and when the public is convinced that this may be true, they vote accordingly...so the law does not pass. This is just my opinion. Whereas procreation in a marriage helps to form a bond...it is still their choice.

That is what I had an inkling of - it's more a use to invalidate the arguments of SS couples. It is still a choice, not law - thank you for your answer

2. lupine profile image66
      lupineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome, jlpark. Glad I could be of assistance in seeing this more clear.

4. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

No, that is a silly argument. Just because a couple is unable to conceive does not invalidate their marriage. Most people get married because they're in love. Some couples have children and some don't. Not every couple wants children anyway. What's next, a new law stating: If you don't plan to have children or cannot have them you should not be allowed to get married?
    Conservatives say: The "government" shouldn't be able to take away our assault weapons but it should be able to us who we can legally marry. Interesting logic.

Dashing Scorpio - I agree - if it's about baby making then it can't just be about gays or its merely an excuse to be hateful. Some of the logic defies me on all this

5. jdflom profile image66
    jdflomposted 11 years ago

I think the idea of procreating as a basis for marriage falls in line with the whole idea of the "sanctity of marriage," or "holy matrimony." This is something that not everyone believes in... and nor should they. It's interesting how certain people who oppose gay marriage pick and choose parts of the bible that they are likely parroting from a religious leader that has misinterpreted and misconstrued an already misinterpreted version of the religious text.

Why are divorced or infertile couples not treated with the same amount of exclusionary speech? Not that anyone should be subjected to bigotry, but what I am saying is that those are supposedly just as bad and fall in line with what the religious texts say are bad, yet no one seems to mind as long as they're straight.

Even if a religious tradition was to marry for procreation, it's moot because the United States is not a theocracy. It was founded on many freedoms, including religion... you know, "Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness."  There are other religions and non-religions out there that live in America and we can't let one religion dictate our laws. I believe that is a form of oppression toward others. Remember the crusades?

Unlike who we are attracted to, procreation is a choice for any couple - gay, straight or anything in between - not a requirement for marriage.

Thanks for your answer.

6. Theophanes profile image91
    Theophanesposted 11 years ago

Marriage first became a legal issue when the Roman Empire feared their people were not producing enough children, particularly from known lines. This is when they decided to give a tax exemption to married couples and a tax hike to single people. It was a patriarchy and knowing who the father of the children was, was of great importance so that inheritances, including job titles, could be passed down. So if you look at marriage as a legal issue, or a traditional issue, yes procreation seems to be the vital element.

That being said gay and lesbian couples are more than capable of reproducing. They're not infertile and they have the same access to reproductive technology straight people do. There's even a new emerging technology that allows a fetus to be formed by manipulating two eggs, without sperm! (Sorry guys, the reverse is not true for you.) And of course heterosexual couples do not HAVE to have children to be married. It's an option, not a compulsion. Not everyone wants or can have kids, that has nothing to do with sexuality.

Marriage gets a bit trickier when you consider it a religious issue. A union under God can only be recognized if you believe your God is consenting of such a union, but this seems to be a deeply personal issue. Even if you worship the same God as your neighbor you may have completely differing views of what He's telling his followers.

I wrote an article The History of Modern Marriage that goes over all of this if anyone really wants to delve into the issue.

Thanks for this (and yay for new tech!) I will check out your hub when not looking at HP from an iPhone!

7. IDONO profile image60
    IDONOposted 11 years ago

Ask a widowed couple that are both 55 years old that question. It won't take biology, theology or sociology for them to answer that. Should they be denied a marriage license? Sounds pretty ridiculous doesn't it?

That it does!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)