Why is it easier to be totally open with strangers and not your own family?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. kikibruce profile image69
    kikibruceposted 11 years ago

Why is it easier to be totally open with strangers and not your own family?

I am comfortable around strangers but hide things from family because they don't see me in the same light.

2. Bhawna Dixit profile image59
    Bhawna Dixitposted 11 years ago

Family knows everything about you. They have some sort of perception about you. If we have done some blunders  in life there is big scope that  their perception does not change. Nobody wants to get judged. While with strangers it is easy to say anything because they don't know about your past. In deep inside we all know that we can go from one stranger to another. But we can't find another family. Family will always be part of our life. Nobody wants to take risk of losing their family.

kikibruceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I definitely have blunders I have been judged for. My  the story I wrote about falling off a cliff is the perfect example. I recently had a night out at a concert with strangers and we were all singing together. But my family is always there. Thanks!

3. HattieMattieMae profile image61
    HattieMattieMaeposted 11 years ago

Family tends to always seen the negative side of things in your life. Depending on what kind of family you have, they don't always support you emotionally, spiritually, or physically. They tend to want you to be who they want you to be, and not who you are. Where strangers accept you for who you are, and like Bhawna said, they don't judge you, criticize, constantly nag and abuse you in some situations. If you have a healthy family, you might experience positive things. Family is some times to close for comfort, and in your business all the time, interfering in you life choices. They may be negative or positive experiences. I also have to agree with Bhawna what she says.

You hit the nail on the head completely when I come to my family. Especially now since I am currently living back at home and sometimes feel under a microscope.  I volunteer and get out of the house and try to meet new people very often. Thanks!

4. profile image0
    Poetic Foolposted 11 years ago

I think part of it is that the total stranger is likely to remain just that, a total stranger.  As such, it is easier to be totally open with them because there will be no consequences of being honest with them.  You know you are unlikely to ever see them again, you know they know nothing else about you thus you are more willing to be open.  Just my two cents worth anyway.

Thanks for your comment. That is probably the key.

5. nlclark profile image60
    nlclarkposted 11 years ago

Family members love you.  They care about you, and will do anything to protect you or help you if you are in need.  This is all good, and a very positive thing in our lives.  The down-side to it, is that, in doing so, they some times give advice when we don't want it, or help, when we want to work it out on our own.  They also tend to criticize our actions because if we would have done things differently, this or that wouldn't have happened.

Sometimes we just need to vent, or get something off of our chest.  It doesn't mean we are looking for a solution.  Sometimes we need a fresh outlook, or point of view on something without being expected to agree.  Sometimes we need to talk about a concern, and know we won't cause worry for the person on the receiving end.

A stranger may or may not give you advise.  You may take it or leave it, and neither one of you cares.  Most likely, the stranger is not going to jump in and help you, but something they say or do, may shed new light and enable you to cope or deal with something more positively or effectively on your own.  The stranger may criticize you or may not.  Criticism from a stranger is sometimes more useful because there is no love or need for acceptance associated with it.  You can say just about anything about your life to that stranger, and they are not going to go home and worry about you, wonder how you are doing, or lose any sleep over it, and you can walk away not wondering if you've caused anyone grief, concern, or insomnia.  Don't feel guilty about that.  Sometimes we need a close family member, and sometimes we need space and distance.

I agree. Fortunately I have best friends I can vent to, and with strangers it's more about being superficial and having fun, maybe sharing a story or two. Sometimes family can be intrusive, but I know they love me in their way, crazy or not.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)