Does love and hate come hand in hand?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Dkyde profile image60
    Dkydeposted 14 years ago

Do you have to hate someone to love them?
    ?

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't know, do you hate to love and love to hate? 

I hate hate and love love. ?????

1. Sean Leong profile image63
        Sean Leongposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

no.
      to love someone, you must accept their faults.. part of the package.

sometimes it may feel like a love/hate relationship, but I believe it's more a behavior or feeling we love or hate, not the person.   

hate is intense. I think of a murderer or someone totally over the edge, not the average human.
      my 2 cents.

3. profile image0
      reeltaulkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

what???  How can you find love through hate....that sounds so twisted.  You can have a strong love for someone and they don't appreciate it as well as treat you bad!  NOW i can see you starting to hate them because of that.  That is very easy to do, in certain circumstances

Vonda G. Nelson

4. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No!

5. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, but you have to know hate in order to love and vice versa, otherwise love would be nothing special, just simple day to day existence. We celebrate love because we know the darkness of hate, like we celebrate the sun because we know darkness and rain. Each is needed for balance and so that we know and appreciate the other.

6. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

um, no.

7. The Rope profile image59
      The Ropeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have loved someone so much that it hurt to realize the intensity (fortunately it was returned ten-fold) but hate was never an emotion that even tipped it's ugly head.  I've heard the expression but can't fathom it.  Sorry.

8. EnglishRose profile image54
      EnglishRoseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They say that their is a fine line between love and hate, love and hate are 2 of the most powerful human emotions that can both cause so much pain, and 1 can turn into the other, But you cannot love and hate someone at the same time.

1. utu profile image59
        utuposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dunno nothings impossible.

2. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Not if you're normal.  There's love, and there's hate.  It's that simple.  Anything that mixes the two has something "off" about it.

3. helot profile image58
    helotposted 14 years ago

Only if you love to hate.

1. aefrancisco profile image59
      aefranciscoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree...

4. caranoelle profile image79
    caranoelleposted 14 years ago

I think that both love and hate are extreme emotions.  They lay on opposite ends of the spectrum, yet they are so severe, that I think that they can be confused, if that makes sense.

1. theageofcake profile image60
      theageofcakeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think this is a fair assessment.

5. caravalhophoto profile image61
    caravalhophotoposted 14 years ago

It's that fine line...

1. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've never seen any fine line at all.  You can be angry at someone you love, and you can even sometimes feel a little compassion or sympathy for someone you hate (like if you really hate them but their mother dies, or something like that) - but I find that love is at one end of the scale, and hate is at the other.  To me, love can even run off the end of the scale; while hate just meets a "dead end" and turns to "dead-loathing".

To me, if there's a "fine-line" factor it means either that the love isn't whole and real, or that the hate isn't really hate.  A good test is to ask yourself whether you wish something like brain cancer on someone. If you do, that's hate.  If you don't, it isn't hate.  lol

6. profile image0
    abiscardiposted 14 years ago

I love someone so much that I hate him for it.  smile

7. sensu0s profile image64
    sensu0sposted 14 years ago

Well, where there's love there are complains. Where there are complains there are arguments. Where there are arguments there are fights. where there are fight there are hatred till the fights last. where there is excessive hatred there is guilt. where there is guilt there are strings of heartily apologies. where there are apologies there is forgiveness. Forgiveness leads to more and deeper LOVE!!!

So its a cycle which goes on and on like this tongue

1. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'd have to disagree.  There's anger, and there's hatred.  They're two very different things.

8. profile image0
    Wendi Mposted 14 years ago

Love and hate are very close!

9. Justine T profile image58
    Justine Tposted 14 years ago

I do belive so because with out hate there wouldent be love... with out want there wouldent be joy.... so if you fight with someone you care about"the hate" an in the end can still say you would want them to be there the next day or for the rest because its just someting that happends you know that there that its love"the good" ~good -bad" ~love - Hate"

10. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

NO!

11. RecoverToday profile image80
    RecoverTodayposted 14 years ago

Why would you need to hate a person to love them?

12. 1woman profile image60
    1womanposted 14 years ago

The opposite of love is not hate...it is indifference

1. Sean Leong profile image63
      Sean Leongposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If things were to turn sour, the deeper the love, the deeper would be the hate for some people.

13. ddsurfsca profile image70
    ddsurfscaposted 14 years ago

In several american indian tribes, cherokee being one of them, the same word is used for love and hate, and what it means literally is passion.

14. currentevent profile image59
    currenteventposted 14 years ago

i really do think people should say what they mean.

1. utu profile image59

Some people you just Love to Hate smile

15. Run Down Battery profile image61
    Run Down Batteryposted 14 years ago

I don't agree... Indifference is the ultimate insult. I'd rather be hated than loved, at least there is still some degree of emotion involved, at least the other person still acknowledges that I exist!

1. utu profile image59

I have an alter ego that loves to be hated, well I guess I am saying that I agree being loved is means you have got to people, in a nice way  being hated, means that you are really getting to them ergo, you are successful at being an annoyance lol smile

16. arod21 profile image58
    arod21posted 14 years ago

"You are my greatest joy, and so you are my worst sorrow.

Something for which I Love and hate you for."

- AR

I wrote that a long time ago, and it still rings true today; for you to Love someone completely (& vice versa) you must engulf yourself completely in that person's essence. You'll then find the good and bad within them, feeling both extremes of feeling, but when all settles, if you're still with said person and you've both learned to Love every part of each-other, there's nothing left to hide; and all that's left is Love, True Love.

17. yenajeon profile image69
    yenajeonposted 14 years ago

It shouldn't be true but me and my significant other fight so intensely sometimes I wonder if it is indeed true.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)