jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Is with holding information really the same as a lie?

1. NikiDiva profile image58
    NikiDivaposted 4 years ago

Is with holding information really the same as a lie?

If you asked someone about a certain situation and they waited and waited to tell you the answer even after they have been known is that the same as lieing?

2. profile image0
    cjaroszposted 4 years ago

Yes, its the same thing. If you ask a question, they need to answer you. Correctly, and to the best of their knowledge. I know that some people lie to protect people, or because that person won't ever find out. However, it is still a lie. Not telling the truth in whatever the circumstances. Is still a lie.

NikiDivaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

When you find out they lied to try to protect you does that make you feel any better?

3. JanMaklak profile image77
    JanMaklakposted 4 years ago

Doesn't the circumstances dictate the answer? 

For instance if I asked my mechanic what was involved in a tune up I would want to know the generalities not the fine detail.  If I was looking at a house and the real estate agent failed to mention that a major highway was approved and will be going right next door I would call that unethical. 
    Therefore to properly answer this I think we should have more detail.  I guess from an ethics perspective I would try to put myself in the other persons shoes (who is receiving the information) and try to think about the amount of detail that is needed for that person to make an informed decision.   
    Jan

4. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

Yes, there is such a thing as "lying by omission".
    Lets assume you were dating someone and they told you this Friday they were going out for drinks with a "friend".
    Later on you discover it was a woman he had a sexual history with. Would you feel like your man deceived or lied to you?
    After all he could claim; "I told you I was going to have drinks with a friend. I never said my friend was not a woman!" Was he honest?
    Some people will play this game of (if you don't ask me the "exact question" where I have to give you a definitive answer then it is not lying). Clearly they're being deceptive because they know what you're likely to "assume".

NikiDivaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree! People will try to justify the wrong that they do even when they know they were totally in the wrong

5. DDE profile image24
    DDEposted 4 years ago

Lying is the same as when you keep secrets  you are not telling because you afraid or not sure.

working