jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Is your romantic partner also your friend?

1. mike102771 profile image81
    mike102771posted 4 years ago

Is your romantic partner also your friend?

And if so do you treat this significant other like a friend/confidant ? Can you tell him or her anything without reprisal?

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

Yes, he is my best friend...for 43 years. We have friends but we prefer each other's company to anyone else's.

3. Bk42author profile image83
    Bk42authorposted 4 years ago

Yes! We actually started out as friends before we started dating. I really believe the strongest relationships are couples that can be each others friends as well.

4. merej99 profile image83
    merej99posted 4 years ago

My husband and I were acquaintances in high school.  Actually went on ONE date - but between my awkwardness and him being shy it never went beyond that.  We kind of kept tabs on each other through the years like when we got married (to other people), had kids, got divorced...  After a lot of water under the bridge and nearly 20 years later we had another date and we've been together since. 

He is my best friend.  We can talk to each other.  We express our feelings and have respectful disagreements.  We've had highs and serious lows - and I mean lows that would test any marriage but we've been together nearly ten years and have never gone to bed angry at each other. 

I hope that answered your question.  smile

5. profile image0
    MysticMoonlightposted 4 years ago

Yes, he is my best friend. We were friends before we started dating. It blossomed from there and now, here we are, 21 years later, closer than we ever thought imaginable and still going strong smile

6. DDE profile image25
    DDEposted 4 years ago

In most cases yes your romantic partner can be your friend and you can share  your conversations if you feel your romantic partner is trustworthy there should be no  doubt in telling them what is on your mind.

7. wychic profile image88
    wychicposted 4 years ago

Absolutely, he's my best friend, confidante, adviser. I won't say that I never say anything that upsets him, but I can trust him to think about it before offering a response, so it's usually quite constructive. I work from home and he's a stay-at-home, so we're one of the only couples I know who can spend all day, every day together and rarely ever fight. We talk all the time about everything from business, to hobbies, to politics, and so on as well as personal topics. Neither of us are very social people, so we're both quite happy with no company other than each other and the kids. If I need to just vent to someone without necessarily needing a response, I have a dog who is an excellent listener for that. Everything else, my husband is the first person I want to tell.