jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Are you totally ok if your husband or wife has a best friend of an opposite sex?

1. Sweetpea Flur profile image60
    Sweetpea Flurposted 3 years ago

Are you totally ok if your husband or wife has a best friend of an opposite sex?

While your still dating, you know very well that your partner has a best friend of an opposite gender. He/she is very close to her/him before you came. Will you be intimated or feel threatened by their relationship as best friends?

2. Hendrika profile image83
    Hendrikaposted 3 years ago

Yes I have no problem with that. I suppose it depends on whether you really trust you spouse or not.

3. cebutouristspot profile image75
    cebutouristspotposted 3 years ago

I am ok with it.  It is just a matter of trust smile as long as you are open to each other and don't keep any secret you should not be threaten at all

4. Ally Lewis profile image77
    Ally Lewisposted 3 years ago

Of course not. I have a lot of guy friends that were around before my BF as I'm sure he's friends with girls in a platonic way. If you feel intimidated or threatened, maybe that's a sign of your own insecurity or trust issues you may have (unless there's something going on that's suspicious or behavior that's inappropriate for your partner to be doing with someone that isn't you). Either way, it's probably best to talk them out with your SO.

5. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

If one knows in advance before they chose to marry someone it makes no sense to expect them to end their friendship unless you suddenly learn after the fact they were more than "platonic friends".
    In that case they would have misrepresented themselves/lied to you regarding their past. That would raise trust issues.
    I'm not a big fan of being best friends with exes. It's my own personal preference and I would most likely not date or marry someone who felt the opposite. Nevertheless there is no "right" or "wrong" involved here there is only "agree" and "disagree". Everyone is entitled to have their own "deal breaker" list and preferences.
    People who (naturally agree) on things they consider important tend to get along better than those who don't. Beware of "red flags"!
    The goal is to find someone who shares your same values. Like attracts like in the long run and opposites attracts divorce attorneys.