jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (18 posts)

Do you think winning a $1 Billion divorce settlement is too little money for any

1. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

Do you think winning a $1 Billion divorce settlement is too little money for anyone?

Sue Ann Ham, The ex-wife of an oil magnate will appeal the divorce award of over $1 billion in cash and assets that she was handed this week. Bear in mind she's an attorney and not just a wife. She said her ex-husband, Continental Resources CEO Harold Hamm (worth an estimated $12.6 billion), was ordered to pay her was “not equitable”.
    According to Reuters. She was also allowed to keep additional assets, homes in CA and OK worth tens of millions of dollars!
    Do you think her being upset is about the money? or the fact what he was ordered to pay her doesn't "hurt him enough" in her eyes?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/11982157_f260.jpg

2. FatFreddysCat profile image99
    FatFreddysCatposted 3 years ago

Sounds like this greedy @#$% needs to shut up, take the money, and run.

dashingscorpioposted 3 years agoin reply to this

It just goes to show you that there is no such thing as "enough" money to fix a broken heart for some people. Although with a fresh $1 Billion dollars in my pocket I think I could find a way to smile through my tears. LOL!

3. Besarien profile image86
    Besarienposted 3 years ago

No, if you two built a13 billion dollar empire together you each should get half.

If you married a billionaire in order to divorce her for money then yes a billion is way too much.

He started the company in 1967 and was married to her for 26 years. He had been in business for 21 years before they got married! She's a skilled attorney and there is no reason why she shouldn't be content with being a billionaire.

4. LoisRyan13903 profile image80
    LoisRyan13903posted 3 years ago

Yeah it's greed as Fat Freddys Cat says.  For me I wouldn't even know what to do with a Billion dollars

I also think there is a great deal of pain and heartache that is driving her as well. It's been said the appeal process could take years. Maybe it's her way staying connected or relevant in his life. Most people would take that money and run! smile

5. profile image60
    billys1posted 3 years ago

Having been through a very bitter divorce in what is supposed to be a no-fault, 50-50 split state, I can say that there are no winners in a divorce.  Especially if there are children involved.  Unless there is violence involved as the reason for the split to many people forget their vows of Richer or Poorer, Sickness and Health, Better or Worse, Forsaking All Others------ UNTIL DEATH DO US PART!!!!!!    They just run for the divorce lawyer at the first little problem.  The divorce lawyer is the only winner.

You said: "Having been through a very (bitter divorce) in what is supposed to be a no-fault, 50-50 split state." underscores that "getting married" is a lot easier than getting divorced! And yet those who split are accused of taking the easy out.

2. profile image60
      billys1posted 3 years agoin reply to this

yes--that is part of what I said. The other part is that to many people forget what they vowed to the other when they got married.  The last part of it being :Until Death".  Instead of remembering why they fell in love in the first place they split.

3. dashingscorpio profile image87

Realistically "until death" usually means "unless one (changes) from the person I fell in love." or "Unless one of us commits a (deal breaker) in the eyes of the other."  There's no such thing as "unconditional love" when it comes to marriage. smile

4. profile image60

I am really sorry to say that to me you have a very pesimistic.(sp). I was taught to say what I mean and mean what I say. A marriage is HARD WORK,day in day out,  and it takes a working commitment to succeed.

5. dashingscorpio profile image87

You say "A marriage is HARD WORK, day in day out" and I'm pessimistic? Finding and choosing the "right mate" is the real (hard work)! If you find someone who shares your same values/ wants the same things for the marriage it's a "labor of love" smile

6. profile image60

LOL, the animal magnetism that draws one person to the other is the easy part. It is the day in day out "LABOR OF LOVE" of compromise with the other so they feel valued, loved and accepted bu you that isn't the easy part.  Two people need not be like

7. dashingscorpio profile image87

billys1, You're right when you say, "Two people need not be like" to have a lasting marriage. However it has also been said: "Like attracts like and opposites attract divorce attorneys." LOL!  Generally speaking people who naturally agree do well.

6. chaitanyasaivb profile image75
    chaitanyasaivbposted 3 years ago

It doesn't the money, that matters. But, what about the breaking up of the relationship. After losing a relationship, It may not be important, whether its a dollar or billion dollars. Everything, will be the same.

I agree. Even if she were given $6 Billion the end results are the same. The marriage is over.

2. chaitanyasaivb profile image75
      chaitanyasaivbposted 3 years agoin reply to this

That's the main concept. But, Now a days, Breaking up relationship has become an act to many members. It was just due to their inability, to know the importance, behind that relationship.

working