What makes some women attack other women in powerful positions based solely on t

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (27 posts)
  1. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

What makes some women attack other women in powerful positions based solely on their appearance?

As women, we have come a long way, but I fear we have taken for granted just how much other women sacrificed so that today a female can even occupy a position of power.  I'm no Hillary Clinton fan for example, but when you see other women attack her solely due to her "hair" or "clothes" does that not seem troubling? As women, it would seem that if we oppose another woman it should be to disagree on principles not pettiness.  How can we grow as women if this is what we resort to?

2. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 9 years ago

It's called "the human condition" in truly Christian circles.  The thing to remember is that it's not just women that do it.  People who are left to their own thinking and not taught differently do it to each other, gender notwithstanding.  Immaturity and other factors play into it, but the bottom line is that, though we do not like to face the truth, we are fallen in nature: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+3:19 .

ChristinSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

yes I recognize all people do it, but women seem to attack other women in power for petty reasons far more prevalently than men. I don't remember a man calling out a man on his hair alone for example or saying his suit made his butt look big etc. lol

2. profile image0
      RTalloniposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's true, the petty cattiness among women can be stunning, but men have their ways, and men these days don't hesitate, though not quite in the same way.  They keep it among themselves most often, but more and more...

3. dashingscorpio profile image79
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

I've observed this over the years as well.
    There doesn't appear to be any real "sisterhood" among women. Comments about Hilary's appearance really come as no surprise.
    Whenever there is an awards show on TV it's usually preceded by a "red carpet" stroll and it's all about (women) critiquing women's gowns, makeup, hair, shoes, and jewelry.
    People Magazine oftentimes will post side by side photos of (female) celebrities wearing similar outfits with the caption: "Who wore it best?"
    Some of the biggest selling magazines and gossip newspapers in grocery stores are those which feature (women celebrities) without their makeup, revealing cellulite, stretch marks, varicose veins, spider veins, and non-retouched photos.
    I suspect for some of these women seeing celebrities "imperfections" makes them feel better about themselves. Men typically don't look for similar magazines featuring male stars to "compare" themselves with.
    It's usually (women) who love to point out or say:
    "She really doesn't look like that!"
    For some people criticizing others is their (favorite) pastime.

Absolutely! Men are competitive and that's fine, but women tend to be back biting and mean when it would serve our best interests to not do so.  shameful truly on our part. I admire men that can compete without all that added nonsense.

2. profile image0
      savvydatingposted 9 years agoin reply to this

So now you're agreeing with a man who thinks it's OK to hit women? That's what brings women back, not whether they don't like Hilary's ponytail. Get some perspective for once in your life, Christin, that is, if you really want to bolster women.

3. ChristinS profile image38

savvy what on earth are you talking about? I have never said anywhere it's ok for a man to hit a woman.  I think it is you who need some perspective and to not be so rude.

4. dashingscorpio profile image79
      dashingscorpioposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Christin S.; savvydating is referring to a question 4 months old. I said (no one should ever be hitting anyone)!
      However if you do hit someone don't be surprised to be hit back whether you're a woman or man.
      That makes (me) evil I suppose!

5. ChristinS profile image38

Oh for Pete's sakes, I remember that now.  If anyone man or woman hit me; I'd hit back - it's called self-defense and has zero to do with this question.  Sorry she's attacking you here on an unrelated issue Dashing - that's not cool.

6. dashingscorpio profile image79

Oops! I see I placed my last comment about savvydating under MizBejabbers  answer! Sorry about that. Essentially sometimes people have to agree to disagree on certain topics. smile

7. ChristinS profile image38

Absolutely Dashing, it would be a boring world indeed if we all agreed on everything smile.

8. profile image0

No need to feel sorry for D.S. He is very good at damage control. He sympathized with Rice, who hit his girlfriend. And you, C. are denigrating women who talk about ponytails. That's not what it means to have perspective.

9. ChristinS profile image38

No, I'm denigrating pettiness and this question has nothing to do with former questions Savvy.  Try to stay on topic or return to that other question. I did not mention "ponytails" specifically here. Although I do rock one pretty well myself lol wink.

10. dashingscorpio profile image79

savvydating, I never sympathized with Rice! If I said anything it was I saw a video where (she initially spit in his face). I then added some people (over retaliate) because of  things like that . Christin's question has nothing to do with that!

11. profile image0

Dashing & Christin....I am actually on topic. You speak of how women have lost 100 years thru pettiness. That does not happen when we wonder why a woman has bad hair. But hitting a woman and agreeing that's OK? That truly unfortunate and destruct

12. ChristinS profile image38

Stay on the topic of THIS question or stop commenting here Savvy. THIS question was only about women picking on other women based on appearance only.

13. profile image0

Well, the topic is about denigrating women, Christin, which you have done quite nicely. But, of course, you can't see that. BTW, don't give me or any women directives about free speech. That really not acceptable.

14. ChristinS profile image38

Whatever Savvy - I'm not going to argue with you.  Life's too short. Since you want to ruin an actually meaningful question; I'll just close it.

4. MizBejabbers profile image88
    MizBejabbersposted 9 years ago

Envy, jealousy, you know, the words the Bible tells us to shun. For so many years it has been a man's world, and women's very livelihoods in some cultures actually depended on keeping a man's love, lust, or otherwise attention. Women have competed so long against each other just to live that it is ingrained in their very being. How would you like to compete with multiple wives just for your husband's attention and live with the fear that he could say "I divorce you" three times and throw you out on the street? That's Muslim, you say, but it or similar customs have been known in other cultures. Even if a man didn't divorce his wife, he could take others and ignore her. For all of Paul's faults, and I'm no fan of Paul's brand of Christianity otherwise, he did limit the marriage to one wife. But we still have Christians, even in this country, who practice polygamy.
    Today women have had to scratch and claw their way up into equality into a man's world. (I know because I was a successful woman pioneer in the field of  broadcasting.) Women still make only about 67% of the salary of a man doing the same job, so it is no wonder that they consider their "sisters" to be their competitors and will tear them down in a petty way if that's all the fault they can find. At home a woman still wants to be the most beautiful in the world to her husband, so some will knitpick at the "perfect" women they see on TV or an attractive next-door neighbor.
    Today with the infusion of the divine feminine love into the world, I hope that women will recognize each other as sisters and support each other with love.

Excellent answer, you make so many good points and I can see how it could be our history that contributes to our self-sabotage.  I do hope that as time goes on we recognize that our real power is going to be in elevating one another.

2. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I just read something wonderful. Geena Davis has established the Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media to promote women in movies as more believable female characters and as film executives. She was Thelma in the 1991 film "Thelma and Louise".

3. ChristinS profile image38

that is wonderful.  I would love to see women more equally and accurately portrayed in media in general.

4. dashingscorpio profile image79

Christin,
      I'm surprised a disagreement on a specific topic automatically means every other opinion or thought (I) have has to be wrong or the opposite of what she believes! I will never give a "free pass" to anyone to (initiate) hitting others!

5. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12298151_f260.jpg

To those who have read the books Tripping the Prom Queen and Mean Girls, Meaner Women, there is so much rivalry and infighting among women.  There are some women who simply DON'T feel good unless they psychologically, even psychically denigrate a women which they perceive/believe to be inferior in order to make themselves feel good.

This belittlement and/or ill will towards other women is an outgrowth of the mean girl mentality.  There are some women who believe themselves to be superior to the other women around them rather it is physically, educationally, socioeconomically, and/or otherwise.  These are the women who use their supposedly superior status to lord it, even harass or criticize those who aren't in their particular standing.  In other words, there is the "in" clique or group and those who are deemed "outsiders."

It is mostly immaturity and envy.  Somehow the woman who deem she is superior or in is somehow threatened by the woman who is supposedly the inferior or outsider for some reason so the former attack the latter.  If the so-called superior woman was comfortable in her own skin, she would not have reason to attack the so-called inferior woman.  Besides immaturity and envy, it is a form of bullying which is an outgrowth of insecurity.

Interesting indeed. Do you think this is something we'll "evolve" out of eventually time goes on and we have been in better positions longer? or will we always have a "mean girl/woman" streak?

2. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Some of us will; however, there are women who will always have that mean girl mentality.  It is a matter of both tribalism and immaturity, let us add insecurity.  Mean girls are inwardly insecure; if they weren't, they would not be mean girls.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)