What were the biggest adjustments you had to make when you got married?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. kbdressman profile image61
    kbdressmanposted 7 years ago

What were the biggest adjustments you had to make when you got married?

2. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 7 years ago

Falling asleep with the TV on. My wife has had that habit since she was a little girl, but I never did. It took a little while to learn how to tune it out and fall asleep.

kbdressmanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I don't know I would have been able to adjust to that! I had to convince my husband he couldn't sleep with his legs together to his knees and then his knees bent at 90 degrees so I had room in the bed.  It took us a while to change that habit!

3. profile image0
    Cissy1946posted 7 years ago

That is quite a question! I had lived alone my whole adult life and was very used to coming and going as I pleased. After getting married at 46 I realized, the first time I wanted to go to a movie, that I couldn't just walk out the door and go anymore, I had to ask if he wanted to come too. Then the inevitable conversation began...

"What are you going to see?"
    "Pure Luck"
    "What's it about?"
    "I don't know, I haven't seen it."
    "What else is playing?"
    "I don't know, that's the one I want to see."
    "Let's look and see if there's something else."
    "You know you don't have to come with me."
    "But I like going to the movies too and I want to go with you."
    After 15 minutes of going through the movie section...
    "I've changed my mind. I don't want to go to a movie."
    "I wish you had decided that before I spent all this time looking for a movie."

This sort of conversation holds true for eating out, taking a vacation, shopping, going anywhere on the weekends, and every other thing that was previously just a matter of picking up my keys and walking out the door. However, I did love my husband and enjoyed being married to him very much. I was devastated when he died.

I'm so sorry to hear about his passing.  That's a hard loss and life adjustment.

I relate to feeling like we discuss simple things to death and it's suddenly much more complicated to just "get up and go!"

4. Happylovejoy profile image91
    Happylovejoyposted 7 years ago

My three main big adjustments:

1) That I had a lot less personal time.
    2) Had to make sure my other half is occupied or well fed if I am going out.
    3) Had to endure someone nagging at some of my habits.

Disclaimer: I do love my spouse very much so 'just saying'.

I'm afraid I'm the nagger in my marriage.  My husband's incredibly patient, self-sufficient and hard to annoy.  It's interesting to hear other people's experiences!  Thanks for sharing!

5. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12992137_f260.jpg

Because we already lived together there were no big adjustments.
    Having said that I do believe when two people move in together or get married whatever they "imagined" their life would be like turns out to be different in many ways.
    (Different sleep patterns, a need for alone time, finding yourself watching TV in different rooms because you like different programs, having different meals or at different times because you don't eat the same type of food or your schedules during the week don't often coincide...etc)
    When you're simply dating you actually (plan to be together) or participate in activities {one on one} most of the time you meet up.
    You're each other's "top priority" whenever you are together!
    You realize they have (a life outside of you) but you don't "see it".
    When you're living together or married you actually (witness) your mate's individual activities and interests apart from your own.
    You're also more privy to interactions with their friends and family.

Oh I relate to so much of this! Adjusting to my husband's family and their family culture was probably the biggest challenge we've had.  There are the little differences in sleeping and eating and such, but the most stressful was his family culture!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)