Is it a myth that, as adults, we need to be loved?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Billie Kelpin profile image84
    Billie Kelpinposted 7 years ago

Is it a myth that, as adults, we need to be loved?

I don't mean for this to be a silly question. Being loved, especially by those whom YOU love, is a wonderful feeling - perhaps THE most wonderful feeling in the world.Songs and novels abound about the pain of broken love  I'm just wondering if the perpetuated notion that the NEED to be loved is essential to adult human growth and potential is just that - a perpetuated belief. Is there any one out there who feels they simply don't need to be loved? I'd like to explore this topic in a philosophical way and examine what we believe about being loved.   Can we come to some conclusions?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13055988_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    threekeysposted 7 years ago

LOVE. Big Word. I hear Japanese men prefer the company of men and robots. Japanese woman have to adapt to the loss of their men to now self love at least physically. I believe (hearsay) that some of Gen Y and Gen X are following the same trend.The ancient Greeks understood LOVE comes in different forms yet our English language holds few daily terms to express the actions/feelings of love. I don't know but something is going on. Men seem to like men or the company of men. The females dislike other females. So its a lose-lose for the female gender. Why?? I really don't know. However in saying that our species needs each other. We are humans need each other for connection and kin. But there are times we need to have sabbaticals to heal or regroup. I need and want a new defintion of the word LOVE.  The best I can do here for you Billie is use the boring and uncolourful word care. Care means to me I" feel tenderness" for another and tenderness for myself. Just don't come near me if LOVE means possession or obsession to you. For too long I have been surrounded by people who have (to me) a defintion of LOVE that hurts. LOVE to me means "I want the best for you...I am so happy that you are a part of my life..you bring out the best in me"..LOVE does not hurt another. And if THAT kind of LOVE is not forthcoming then I feel you are better off to go into self care self love mode.

Billie Kelpinposted 7 years agoin reply to this

There was a quote I read years and years ago.  "Love is the active concern for another's welfare."  Perhaps the need to love is more important than the need to BE loved.

2. manatita44 profile image72
      manatita44posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Billie. "He who loves never grows old. God is a shining example." - Sri Chinmoy.

3. manatita44 profile image72
    manatita44posted 7 years ago

Well, my Sweet Billie, I'm tired today, but yes, nice and necessary question. This whole Universe is based on Love and indeed it is really why the Spiritual Masters come - to teach us of this Higher Love.

Let's just keep it simple for a while. In Maslow's Hierachy of Human Needs, he presents a hierachical chart that covers this question. First we need food, shelter, air, water, the essentials, then we gradually move to our self-esteem needs.

In the spiritual life, we sometimes or mostly separate Love in two categories: Human love and Love Divine. In human love there is bargaining, expectation, possesion .... Divine Love is like a bird that cannot be caged.

Again, at a much Higher level, we say that there is only Love; the difference is only a matter of degree, greater or lesser Light, if you like. So the man running after alcohol is looking for Love. The one with fast cars or family or counting the millions, are also looking for Love. All is a quest for this Higher Love as it is the very pulse of Life; the very ground of Being; The Source of all Sources. Hope this helps. Much Love, Billie.

Manatita, I have always been fascinated with Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.  It was just a simple, yet insightful way to look at human nature.  It's interesting how deprivation at the lower levels can block self-actualization.  You have a lovely view.

2. manatita44 profile image72
      manatita44posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. Love is as old and eternal as Love Itself. Ha ha. I made that one up! Probably true, in so far as it's another name for God.

4. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 years ago

We're a social species, and we want to belong. While love is the ideal, most of us NEED to have close emotional ties to be healthy.

Tamara, Thank you for your response. You hit  3 important words in relation to the discussion:  social species, close emotional ties, and healthy

5. Matthew Woolsey profile image63
    Matthew Woolseyposted 7 years ago

Since I like myth's I'll bite. I have a fascination with the myth of dragons. People say there is always some truth to a myth. So yes to your answer and also no at the same time. Like the myth of the dragon we hear of it's existence, but have no proof they existed. Love is a myth, we can't really prove of it's existence.

lovely answer, Matthew

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)