Why do I have to be positive?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (51 posts)
  1. profile image0
    rhartlandsbergposted 14 years ago

Why is it deemed unhealthy to feel or act negatively? If I don't feel positive about a situation I feel like it's more satisfying and true to myself to let my negative thoughts and emotions out rather than force a positive disposition.

It seems shallow to me to only want to be around someone when they are happy. It seems arrogant to try to force someone to do the things that YOU think will make them happy.

Any thoughts on this?

1. calpol25 profile image59
      calpol25posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Positivity and Negativity go hand in hand, but when it comes this you should always be yourself and not what other people want you to be stay true to your own self and dont change by what other people say.
      Thats what makes us individuals and human.

2. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hiiiiiiiiiiii............... Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

I think this just about sums up how a positive thinking person feels about meeting someone who embraces a negative outlook. hmm

Personally, I'm allergic to negative people... I find them deeply in need of an improved self esteem and sense of self worth. hmm

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Pearldiver, wouldn't be nice for them to know the "how to" about going and doing it? If they don't know, then it can apparently hurt them.

On another note, as to the thread. It's not so much about having the right "outlook" or even remaining positive. It's the view of optimism. Sure, you can have a negative outlook on specific things that happen in life, but you cannot have a negative outlook on life in general.

1. samboiam profile image59
          samboiamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cagsil, very well said.

1. Pearldiver profile image67

Interesting comments Cagsil..... What exactly did you say? hmm

I said, wouldn't it be nice, if those who lacked "self-esteem" and "self-worth" knew "how to" going about getting it in the first place.

Which lead me to say, If they don't know "how to", then obvious it is apparently going to hurt them.

Is that better? smile wink

Thanks for clarifying your post! Your accent was not doing justice to your words big_smile

Yes, I guess it would be a perfect world if we all took responsibility for our outlooks and attitudes and of course the related actions of which negatively influence others hmm

Clearly you see the 'how to' as being an educational issue? hmm
                Perhaps the most relevant first lesson to learn on that issue is: "Never listen to anyone more negative than yourself!" lol

lol lol lol lol lol

Not what I was thinking, but okay. tongue

Edit: Educational issue? Yes, passed down by generation after generation, simply because it was never known. hmm How sad? sad

2. Cagsil profile image71

Thank you. smile

2. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you.  I no longer  will voluntarily spend time with a negative person.  Life is too short and my time is too valuable.

1. profile image0
          rhartlandsbergposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is there no value in using your own positivity to learn to embrace someone with a different outlook than yourself?

Is there no value in acknowledging negative aspects of all of our lives so that we might change them for the better?

1. profile image0

Sure, there is value in both of those things.  However, it is possible to acknowledge negative aspects of our lives without "being" negative.

lol  en guarde............. lol

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
            rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think there's a difference with being yourself and knowing yourself. we've all seen people who seem to enjoy being 'negative' and the only people who want to be around them are the same. I think like attracts like. personally, I prefer being around positive, real life people. everything is not always 'rosy', but an upbeat attitude towards life is certainly a healthier way to live.

as another poster said here, life is too short to spend time embracing negativity. we can recognize it and learn from it, but I'm not going to stay in it.

3. profile image0
      Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Staying true to yourself is always the most positive path to take. Pretending to be positive in a situation that gives you a negative vibe or makes you feel uncomfortable will just make you miserable. When you're miserable, it rubs off on the people around you. If expressing yourself, even when you feel negatively about something, helps you feel LESS miserable, then by all means, EXPRESS YOURSELF! Your attitude rubs off on everyone around you so the less miserable YOU are, the less miserable everyone else will be too.

4. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree

I think its unhealthy to dwell on negativity, but  its also unhealthy to deny its existence.

5. spease profile image59
      speaseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

One of the best reasons comes from a quote by Winston Churchill.
      Someone asked him if he was optimistic, he said " I am always an optimist, it just doesn't make any sense to be anything else".  I agree.

6. Rafini profile image81
      Rafiniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think it is considered unhealthy to be negative on a regular basis because it isn't good for your mental health which in turn can affect your overall health.
      I also think it is important to release negative energy when it occurs otherwise it would be like shaking a bottle of soda and twisting off the cap -you never know where the fallout will hit the hardest.
      As for someone telling you to "Stay Positive" - I take it to mean, keep your hopes up but release any negativity as it comes along.

7. profile image0
      Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You've got a 50-50 choice - feel good or feel like crap.

There's always something good about every situation smile

2. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 14 years ago

You should just be yourself...negative or positive...

1. skyfire profile image80
      skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well said.

By the way, Confucius said that.......  ah never mind.

3. myownworld profile image73
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

I believe everyone has moments of negative and positive feelings. At least, all sensitive people do. Others can say or perceive you anyhow, all that really matters is how you yourself want to live your life:  feeling negative about things (not to be confused with serious reflective moments) or just being optimistic...and smiling from within. Whatever works for you...smile

1. Paradise7 profile image68
      Paradise7posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that's very well said, myownworld.  We have both positive and negative EXPERIENCES, so it only makes sense we have both positive and negative feelings.  Me, personally, I don't like to impose my negative feelings on other people.  Usually time passes, the negative situation passes, everything gets better...  The best thing to do is to try and make things better.

4. profile image0
    rhartlandsbergposted 14 years ago

Thanks for the feedback all!

I feel like it's a common notion to not want to be around negativity or let someones negativity bring you down but I feel like that practice leads to fair-weather friendships or problems being ignored rather than addressed.

5. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Hello Everyone smile

How is everybody doing today? Or Tomorrow? lol

6. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Hey PrettyPanther, what's up? smile

1. profile image0

Hi Cagsil.  Just hangin' out on the forums and watching Idol at the same time.  How are you?  smile

Doing well. Thank you for asking. Nice to see you roaming around. smile

1. profile image0

Don't you mean "prowling" around?  smile

Well, I've been told I lurk...

So, I don't want to say "prowling", even though you are a panther. lol lol  I wouldn't want someone to get the wrong impression that you were on the "hunt" for food or anything. smile tongue

Sheesh Cagsil.... You Lurk???

Wasn't George Michaels arrested for that a few years ago?? hmm

roll lol lol lol

2. profile image0

Well, right now I'm going to slink off the bed.  Gotta work tomorrow.

You have a good night and enjoy your lurking!  wink

Good night. smile You sleep well and be safe. smile

7. Phil_Raphie profile image61
    Phil_Raphieposted 14 years ago

Positivity attracts positive energy and would equal to positive disposition in Life.  Yes we always have choices but then what will matter at the end of the day would be the results or outcome of those choices. The effect of those choices. It is always best and advisable to stay positive within a normal level for there are things that are meant to happen and so we should make sure that we are also wiling to accept the outcome of such. In every positive mind comes with a negative feeling but then you should not be persuaded by anything or anyone so learn how to weigh things.
    Example: A negative spiel or thoughts can be transformed into somewhat like positive thoughts just by using approriate words and language. So the impact of positive scripting will lighten up customers and people around you, around us :-)

8. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 14 years ago

Seriousness is often mis-labeled as negativity.
    Life is serious.
    Sometimes fun and non-serious, but often serious.
    I prefer a serious mindset to naivete.

1. profile image0
      rhartlandsbergposted 14 years agoin reply to this

...Yes naivete or flippant disregard for real real issues.

There are differences between being naive and choice ignorance.

Some people are naive, only because they lack knowledge and understanding. Then, there are some that choose to be ignorant, even if they don't see it themselves.

Ignorance: The Overwhelming Destructive Trait, a hub I wrote about it.

Integrity: The Lost Character Trait, is another hub I wrote.

It has a lot to do with those who choose to be ignorant, so as to stop themselves from learning more about life, because they already think that they know everything there is to know about it.

There are even some arrogant enough to think that there are certain areas of life, that they are not ignorant or naive, about...yet when you talk to them, you quickly learn how untrue that is really. smile

Edit: corrected a title of hub. smile

9. profile image0
    Jared in Vegasposted 14 years ago

You don't have to be positive, not about everything. Sometimes its best to say "this isn't going to work," and cut your losses.  Did Charlie Brown ever kick the football? No, he didn't. Someone should have told him that it wasn't going to happen.

Maybe the cartoonist, shouldn't have let Lucy be so selfish? hmm

2. Fluffymetal profile image75
      Fluffymetalposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you guys are funny smile

10. Phil_Raphie profile image61
    Phil_Raphieposted 14 years ago

I have some factors of Positive mind that might impact us. These values applies to me... and so I want to share with you guys :-)

P - People: means if you are with positive people you will likely have a positive thoughts in Life.

O - Outcome: what kind of outcome would you like to see?

S - Sex: At times there are more Women who thinks positive than Men in some ways.

I - Intelligence: Level of intelligence affects the way we think and so affects how we react unto things: positively or negatively.

T - Time: It is one of the element that we should also consider. Others believe that most people are positive on the early part of their day than on the latter part of it.

I - Intuition: Level of intuition will also impact us on being positive.

V - Value: How we value or the value things or issue will impact the level of positiveness within us.

E - Environment: Were you raised in a positive environment and with positive culture?

11. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Well done mate....... And no mention of the "L" word. smile

lol lol lol

2. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey you, too long mate, hope you are well and still living in Paradise. (jealous)
      SYT left a few messages for you
      i'll email you, gotta question
      all positive smile

Be well big_smile

3. Phil_Raphie profile image61
      Phil_Raphieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What's the "L"? hehehe

Why did I know that you were going to ask me that question? hmm

The "L" stands for Lurking (as referred to earlier in the thread). big_smile

12. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

If I care about someone a lot, such as my wife, I'll hang around when the conversation "goes negative".  With a spouse who has been clinically diagnosed as being severely mentally ill and tends toward homicidal thoughts when she feels betrayed (which is all too often), that's not nearly an uncommon enough occurrence to suit me.

However, lacking that powerful motivation (lifetime commitment) to stick around, I subscribe to the philosophy of Edwin Land (creator of the Polaroid camera) who stated,

"I insulate myself from negative thinking people since it only takes one negative comment to kill a good idea."

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sound advice.

13. Rod Marsden profile image67
    Rod Marsdenposted 14 years ago

If you are falsely positive then you may not be owning a problem that has a solution and if you don't own it then the problem can only get bigger and bigger until it overwhelms you. Being negative sometimes can be as healthy as being positive just so long as things don't stagnate.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)