Judas betrayed Jesus; Peter denied his Lord.

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (64 posts)
  1. Rina Pinto profile image61
    Rina Pintoposted 11 years ago

What is the difference between these two men? What is the difference between betrayal and denial?

1. pennyofheaven profile image79
      pennyofheavenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Apparently one sold Jesus out for money (greed). The other denied because he cared what others thought of him (low self worth). Not really different except that the ego ruled to a greater or lesser degree.

Rina Pintoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This was a plan God intended from the beginning. The Restoration of mankind through these 2 errors. Judas was chosen for this task. It was necessary for Peter to be reinstate for His Higher calling - A fisherman chosen to a Mighty Task. Peter had to understand himself in order to take up this Call into serious Action. Therefore when God created Light He saw that It was GOOD, so the all men may see well and follow the True calling. Again we see the choice is ours, if we choose to live like Judas's or the Peter's - The Holy Bible is an Open Book, we may choose to correct ourselves according to the Word of God and His Revelations through His Holy Spirit- Jesus our Savior!

Therefore, to not let the ego dominate, would have been the lesson to learn from both incidences.

Yes .. true! .. What ever God does, He brings perfect peace into it .. Glory to God alone .. Who can fathom His Incredible and Divine Wisdom .. Bless you Yahweh! Jeremiah 29:11 !

2. kess profile image59
      kessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Both did the will of God as intended....just that one failed to see the reality of this and walk in condemnation of himself.

yes .. Kess .. the difference between them is so transparent. By this we can also correct out selves and not to repeat the latter mistake of Judas .. but rather Repent and Rise to move forward. God's mercies are new ever morning and They Endures for ever...

3. profile image0
      diyomarpandanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

exactly

People who do not read their portion well in the Bible will never understand what God is really trying to say or teach them according to His Will. Obedience is important and the leading through His Holy Spirit must be yielded obediently and not in a arrogant way. Humbleness is equally important while learning to Be Still and knowing that He is God is a must in our Lives .. thank you for passing by my forum.

1. Cagsil profile image71
            Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Obedience? Really?

Why?

to reinstate..

1. Cagsil profile image71
                Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Reinstate what?

Restoration of our soul back to the eternal Kingdom .. so reinstating is important .. - Jeremiah 29:11

1. profile image0
                    diyomarpandanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

2. Rina Pinto profile image61

The Holy Bible can be read by any one but The Word and the deep Revelation given to one must be understood and this can be only done by the Leading of the Holy Spirit. One must be filled with the double portion & the Holy Anointing of the Holy Spirit of the Living God. Every body can ready Bible but one must be equipped with His Almighty power and the regular filling of His Holy Spirit. Thanks for passing by .. God Bless.

4. Rina Pinto profile image61

Jesus Himself has already explained this. He said that Peter had already been bathed and needed to wash only his feet. Judas had never been bathed and had never opened his life to Jesus. Peter had dirty feet but a clean heart; Judas had an evil heart of unbelief, though perhaps an outward walk of apparent morality. And that is the sort person who will betray Jesus.

5. talford profile image70
      talfordposted 11 years ago

Judas, a thief, had different motives from those of Peter.

Peter when exposed wept with bitter tears. He, as I could say I also, was distraught at his failure. How could he deny his Lord who he loved and who he knew loved him? Tears of regret and repentance. He had feared what men would do to him. Sorrow overwhelmed his soul because of his failure. Yet, he knew that the one who loved him had known. Even before his failure Jesus told him of his denial.

Peter had followed the Lord afar off. A lesson for us. Stay close. Do not allow ourselves to follow from afar.

Judas on the other hand had his motives in jealousy, murder, and greed. He was one of the twelve who were sent out and did miracles. He had seen the same things Peter saw. He had witnessed healed bodies, lives changed, he was even there when Lazarus walked out of tomb.

Like many, Judas wanted his portion on this side of Jordan. While Peter's determination was to stand by Jesus even to death, (though he failed because of weakness), Judas determination was to grab for himself. He knew they enemy sought to kill Jesus. His WILL was not to follow the Lord. If the price was high enough he would gladly turn him in.

Afterwards, his tears were too late. He knew the he was condemned and chose death over living with the knowledge of what he had done.

Exactly.... but many of the today's Christian think or have a different view about The crossing of the Jordon. Jordan is simply Heaven! We are all living in the land or country of Sodom & Gomorrah! - The journey in one's life begins when God Himself draw's us out from the land of Sodom & Gomorrah and helps us cross the Red sea into the Promise land - Jordon - Heaven bound. By His mercies & Grace and of course by His Son Jesus Precious Blood and the Perfection of our hearts and His Will in our Lives causes us Through His Holy Spirit!.

6. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 11 years ago

What Judas does is not betrayal, as Judas was pre-destined by Jesus who is God to be the one to help Jesus fulfill the phrophecies of the Great Prophets.

Peter's denial, was an act of fear forseen by Jesus.

Both did what was written in the scriptures.

1. talford profile image70
        talfordposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Jesus said, "Woe, to him who betrays me". Therefore, Jesus called it betrayal. Even when Judas had already determined to betray Jesus for silver; Jesus did not tell him to do this wicked deed. Jesus let him still make his own decision. He told him, "Whatever you do, do quickly". God knows what you will eat for breakfast next week. His providence does not negate our choice.

It is a great mystery. How can both predestination and free will exist at the same time, but indeed it does.

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
            neither are your ways my ways,”
        declares the Lord.
           As the heavens are higher than the earth,
            so are my ways higher than your ways
            and my thoughts than your thoughts."

Isaiah 55:8-9

Dave .. you steal my thoughts .. wow!.. exactly .. i will be digging some of your hubs .. haven't read your recent hubs..

7. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 11 years ago

From a human standpoint, Judas the betrayer was willing to take money without any concern about the consequences.

Peter denied Jesus three times without really realizing it until the cock crowed. Had Peter not denied Jesus, he too could had been captured and killed, leaving the early church without one of its most important early leaders.

Judas acted by choice and paid the price.

Peter acted by mistakes, and mistakes are forgiven. Also, was Peter did was foreseen by Jesus as noted by another poster.

Larry,  Great!... been long time too!.. will be reading your hubs too .. yes it was a "Commission by God Himself in order to complete the Prophecy.

8. lovehungergames profile image60
      lovehungergamesposted 11 years ago

i honestly dont believe in jesus

1. profile image0
        Larry Wallposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is a free country and that is certainly your right, but I totally disagree with you.

same here Larry...

9. lovehungergames profile image60
      lovehungergamesposted 11 years ago

i believes omething created the earth, something unbelievable and let it evolve from their but everyone has their beliefs and nobody is 100% sure.

10. pisean282311 profile image63
      pisean282311posted 11 years ago

judas betrayed jesus or jesus betrayed judas?....according to gosphel of judas , judas did what jesus asked him to do...but judas is still projected as one who betrayed jesus...even after 2k yrs...so jesus betrayed judas and showed glimpse of what one gets if one does trust jesus blindly!!!!!!!!!!!...on serious notes cant blame jesus for that...jesus himself was betrayed by his conviction...

Well .. its sad that you twist the Word of God without any seriousness of your thoughts and mind.. Let Godly wisdom speak in you and not your own .. Thanks for visiting my forum .....

1. pisean282311 profile image63
          pisean282311posted 11 years agoin reply to this

@rina m twisting?...where did i twist...if jesus is sent by god and according to gosphel of judas , it was god sent jesus who commanded him to do what he (judas) did and judas by following his spiritual leader got label of betrayer then what can u conclude?....judas betrayed jesus or jesus himself betrayed judas?....

please check the message in this forum well - my replies according to His Grace .. Nothing much .. I must decrease  and He (Jesus) must increase in me .. we must choose to be Still and know that He is God and does everything Perfect to His Will. .. You must understand that it was a Plan of God read Jeremiah 29:11 - the restoration of mankind back into His Kingdom. And Judas was a part of the plan. But God never asked Judas to hang himself. Did not Judas go about with Jesus and seeing the healing hand of Jesus and His Works .. Anyways, this is a lesson on our journey to be careful in what ever we do .. its not just the betrayal or the denial but this is for a change as we all go through the same phase with our Lord Jesus - sometimes a Betrayal-Judas & sometimes a Denial-Peter

1. pisean282311 profile image63
              pisean282311posted 11 years agoin reply to this

@rina its your interpretation...what happened to judas is based on four gosphels u think r correct...if u read gosphel of judas , ur truth would alter...so ur truth depends on book u read and belief in...isnt it?....

i got what u believe in , ur view and m ok with it...thanks..

You loose Heaven's if you choose to follow satan the father of lies .... i pray that you may receive the True Light .. God Bless you!

11. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 11 years ago

The last words that Jesus spoke to Judas was ...  Go now and do what you must do.

Judas did exactly that !      How is that betrail?

1. profile image0

Jesus may have know Judas was going to betray him, but that does not mean that Jesus wanted Judas to betray him. How many times have to told someone, "do what you have to do" even though you did not agree with them or think it was right.

I didn't read the book of Judas ...  But I have always felt the same way I have just expresses.
          There is just so much of the story which was not included in the bible.

The bible as presented isn't a very good report as to what happened 2000 years ago.
          and I've always wondered why?
            Kinda like saying ...  on 9-11 four plains crashed ....   leaving the rest to imagionation.

1. profile image0

When discussing religious issues there is going to be a lot of gaps that people fill in and we are not going to know for certain--at least not in this life.

When discussing religious issues YES.  If we could discuss what is it that is actually written ... this should be a different matter, I would think.

Larry / Jeremi  .. if God says, He means then He means business - A simple yes or no business!  The plan had to be commissioned and the key person in this plan was Judas. He fitted right in this Particular Role. And by the way devil entered Judas heart, where Jesus quoted in - Scripture - John 13:27 " And after the morsel Satan entered into him. Then said Jesus unto him, What you do, do quickly." God is Sovereign Lord of all things - we must remember this and had ordered the steps of in this fashion in order to complete the Plan of Restoration . I would only choose to be Still and Know that He is God .. He is God and knows his Part/Role well to play in our lives - THE WILL!  - His Kingdom come, His Will be done in each of our Lives - His Elect - He is coming soon - Jesus!

The Plan of Restoration - thus betrayal was a part of this Plan! - And Judas was the appropriate as his love for money. But again this was Judas choice, after he being repented or guilty, he could have asked forgiveness of His dear Friend and Master Jesus who was so close and real with them. He lost that opportunity for the love of the money. The guilt could have turned to a Action of Pardon thus saving him and Grace found in plenty when Jesus was with them.

But again this was Judas choice,    ????????

"Go and do;    the thing which you    MUST"  ...   doesn't sound like  many  choices from which to choose ?

12. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 11 years ago

The betrayal was a necessary element. Without the betrayal, the crucifixion might not have happened. One version has it that the sop of bread which Jesus placed into Judas' mouth had the darkness within it which Jesus had removed from the masses, which caused Judas to carry out his mission without backing out. Further, the book of Judas is as old as the other gospels, lending it legitimacy. In this gospel Judas is clearly seen as a loyal follower of Jesus.

1. profile image0

Betrayal was necessary. It does not mean that it had to be Judas. I cannot think of any of the other disciples who would had betrayed Jesus. I am only saying, that Judas had a choice and he chose to betray Jesus.

Betrail being the key word.

Betrail as seen from the other desciples perspective.
          IF I remember right; Some of these desciples seemed to have been a bit jelious of each other from time to time?

They were all very human even Jesus.

Thanks Larry and appreciate your participation in this forum with God given wisdom. Indeed very true, Judas had choice .. but he never repented thus ending His Precious Live after a beautiful service along with Jesus in His Awesome Ministry. Its a pity that He never understood the Heart of Jesus and the abounding Grace through Him.

1. profile image0

I do not know what Judas thought in the last moments of his life. He may have sought and received forgiveness. No one knows that and all of the back and forth arguing by some will not change that. I am not saying you are incorrect. I am just saying we do not knows what goes through the mind of a person in the last moments before he dies.

so true Larry.. thanks for expanding this forum with your knowledge about Judas .. i agree with you .. only God knows what goes in the mind of His creation...

3. Disappearinghead profile image61
          Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That judas would betray him was no mystery to Jesus. It was a necessary requirement to set about the events leading up to the crucifixion. Jesus chose Judas to be his disciple knowing full well who he was and the nature of his character. It seems to me that Judas was the scapegoat.

The fact that Judas was so overcome with grief and remorse that he killed himself is a clear indication that he came to repentance. Jesus said that it would have been better had he not been born, and considering that had he lived his life, reputation, and social standing would have been ruined, this no doubt would have been true. Imagine that he just went home, the apostles would have ostracised him, maybe threatened him with violence. The Jews would have not respected him and he would have been shunned as the man who betrayed Jesus. He probably would never have been able to get work again, earn a living, reduced to a beggar. Yes Jesus was correct, his life would have been such abject misery as to have been better to have not been born.

1. profile image0

Jesus had to be betrayed or captured during his pubic ministry. I am not certain Jesus chose Judas for that task. However, as I sAid erlier we do not know if ;_das sought forgiveness before taking his own life.

At least Judas knew who is Savior was - Jesus.! He has walked and journey with Him for 3 years and still could not know Jesus heart and His Love for Him? Yes we all do it the Judas way always betray Jesus in spite of knowing Jesus and His Marvelous Sacrifice . We soon then repent know that He is a ever forgiving God. We take undue advantage of His Goodness and His Mercies although the Holy Bible tells us so - His mercies endures for ever " Believers must be obedient to the lessons that are an true experience and testimonies of the Saints/Prophet/Disciples/Apostles and the lives of them each  mentioned in the Holy Bible = The Exposition to the Scripture is given to each one on his/her journey along. The Lord God will only talk to us in a slow and quiet voice. We must harken to this voice and for this we must read the Holy Bible every day.

2. pennyofheaven profile image79

Jesus may also have understood that what he had foreseen about Judas could easily be changed if Judas making a different choice. I don't think it was necessary for the crucifixion but that is how it evolved.

Yes exactly the Father's plan in order to Restore us... but I don't wanna really go there or touch what the Lord Yahweh had in mind because He is God our Creator and we are only called to be Still and Know that He is God. Jesus also says That He would show us the Great and Mighty Things of the Heavenly Kingdom only if we are walking and obedient to His Word. As i said the Holy Spirit will reveal this to us - His Revelation if we are to stay in the boundary we are allotted. - Under His wings! This subject or Betrayal & Denial is vast in the walks or journeying into the Greener pastures - Without these betrayals & denials in our lives we can never experience God's Total Plan in our Lives.

13. knolyourself profile image59
      knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

Had dinner at friend's house, and afterward I tried out a portable radio headset belonging to his brother, which was new at the time. I went out and danced in the street by myself to the music. My friend denied me three times to three friends of his, who asked him if he knew the crazy guy in the street.

1. profile image0

Amusing story--hardly a comparison to the what Jesus said at the Last Supper.

14. knolyourself profile image59
      knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

What was it one in twelve that betrayed Jesus. I have found that it would be more like eleven out of twelve would betray Jesus, given the right circumstances.

15. Rina Pinto profile image61

Oh.. thanks .. i will be reading with interest .. also check out for my new Dramatic Poem - Dedicated for my Black American Friends.

16. Rina Pinto profile image61

Oh.. thanks .. i will be reading with interest .. also check out for my new Dramatic Poem - Dedicated for my Black American Friends.

17. Rina Pinto profile image61

18. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 11 years ago

And for that reason, judgement of Judas should be suspended. It is the christian thing to do.

i am not getting you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)