Religion is.....

Jump to Last Post 51-73 of 73 discussions (299 posts)
  1. viralprospector profile image62
    viralprospectorposted 15 years ago
  2. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 15 years ago

Hypathetically speaking we should all be pertect completely perfect without spot. But the fact remains and we have to strive to do our best to live up to the satndards set by the Lord. Not trying to be offensive I cant account for the annals of Christianity, I never met Torquomata, but Im sure he was wrong, I'm almost posative.

3. aka-dj profile image65
    aka-djposted 15 years ago

Ah, so hypothetical christians are better than real ones?  big_smile
    Absolutely!
    As are hypothetical atheists. big_smile
    So, according to what you have just written, that (the secular) government is causing all the death and misery, in the middle east, is that the christian secular leaders or the atheist seculat leaders? Or acombination of the two? I'm confused?
    Ah, it's all the (millions) of atheist organisations that are doing ALL the good, and the christian ones are spreading mysery. Ok, I think I got it now. hmm

4. profile image0

Too hypathetical for me, but one thing is certain, I know what it is to have ominous mountains of difficulty removed, and to see the destroying angel pass over my household, i have in my life seen true miracles occur simply through the power of prayer. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, praiseworthy, or of good report, I seek after these things.

viralprospectorposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That's great, Onusonus. There is nothing better than the facts that we know. God does work in those who follow Him. His miracles for you are undeniable, just as His miracles for me are just fact. There is no reason for either of us to be hypothetical.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Very touching. Destroying angels, true miracles, power of prayer, the whole bit. Nice. wink

Still can't answer my question though?

aka-dj - lost me. If you are saying christians are no better than any other self-serving group, I agree. What a shame because they could be different if they followed JC's teachings.

viralinfection - sorry - make your own bragging list. I claim no affiliation with any group good or bad. I am just me. But if you want to claim some - be my guest.

I am not surprised that your anti Christian prejudice would just not allow you to post the obvious immense good of the Christian community in the world. You remind me of the old dog sitting on the porch barking. How pathetic a sight that is.

In the meantime the Salvation Army, Habitat For Humanity, Catholic Charities USA and its worldwide affiliates, the National Christian Foundation, World Vision, Volunteers of America, etc. (all Christian organizations) will actually provide the help to those in need. Yes countless millions of different people all over the world every year year receive their life giving aid from the generosity of Christian individuals' giving and service. Yes, MK, you are a fool to ever question these wonderful people of countless sacrifice for others.

Aroooooo, whined the ever puny MK. Arooooo

1. Mark Knowles profile image59

Hmmmm. I never questioned them. Only you.

You are some how affiliated with them? I never knew. Well done - you are awesome. Thanks. smile

I was fooled by your gruff exterior, aggresive posturing and threats of eternal damnation.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Well done vp. You truly are a wonderful human being and this pretty much clinches it for me.      * claps *

Aroooo! lol

Puny? lol

And here are a few atheist charities -

http://www.redcross.org/aboutus/
          http://www.icrc.org/web/eng/siteeng0.ns … enDocument
          http://www.ifrc.org/
          http://www.pih.org/home.html
          http://www.foodbankcentralflorida.org/
          http://www.handsonnetwork.org/
          http://www.habitat.org/
          Yeah I know, Habitat for humanity is non-christian, but not worth arguing over.
          http://www.jcca.org/
          http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.c … orgid=6433
          http://www.directrelief.org/
          http://www.feedthechildren.org/site/Pag … g_homepage

And the biggie -

http://www.unicef.org/

big_smile

Can't really claim that atheism is better than Christianity though. Or that this in any way demonstrates that my lack of belief is better than your eternal damnation thing....

lol

Sounds like an insult to me......

Nice. Very christian of you. "But I say unto you, love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and curse you."

Not a big believer then?

Thanks. Once again you have proven the value of your religion.

Cast not your pearls before swine.

1. profile image0
                  sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Are you kidding?  Did you just call Mark a swine?  Since when did Jesus teach you that you were able to judge whom you believe to be a swine and therefor set forth judgment and keep your presious pearls for someone who you feel is worthy?

1. t.keeley profile image76
                    t.keeleyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Makes me wish Jesus was here right now, Sandra.

2. profile image0

I was pretty sure that the saying meant something along the lines of,  why feed the rich who can feed themselves and not the poor.

3. viralprospector profile image62

Gulp, that picture must have fooled me...lol... I cannot judge a person's salvation. I am commanded to have judgement, so I try my best to do that.

That is a quote from the Bible. You are not calling him a swine are you?

Wait, it is OK for him to call me viralinfection, though right? He can insult me with total concurrence from you right? Now yuou don't think that is a double standard or anything do you? I get it. You just want to pick on me, huh? You do not have the gutrs to jump on him for doing it to me first, right? Gee, we went over that territory many pages ago just yesterday. I sure am glad I live in Texas, so I do not waste a bunch of time on this stale BS. Same old story, new day.

2. viralprospector profile image62

MK;

Prove that these charities are in fact atheist. That means that they do not believe in God. Show me where they say that. You can't because it is a lie. Whoops, the word is secular.

However, what you fail to realize is that faith based charities were discriminated against for decades in government funding. While it is still true, I do not have proof other than personal experiencew. So, I do not wsh to carry that further. That is why many charities, that carry out a Christian mission, in fact, do not publicize their religiou affiliations and hurt their chances. Only under Bush was this unconstitutional practice discouraged. It still did not matter. Faith based charities did not advance in getting government grants. Today they barely get over 10% of the total government funds.

That's OK. Most of the important faith based charities are supported by individuals as I said.

By the way, you are sure awful hung up about eternal damnation given that I have not brought it up.

5. profile image0

VP you crack me up!

6. goldentoad profile image59
    goldentoadposted 15 years ago

I can't believe I've been away "supervising" for how many hours now and the assaults keep coming through. I'm going to have to quit my job, to hang with you guys. Beware though if I become idle, I tend to crack open a beer and show you dirty pictures that would make your Grandma slap you and wash your eyeballs with soap.

1. goldentoad profile image59
      goldentoadposted 15 years agoin reply to this

BTW can someone explain to me what a viralprocter, viralprotector, viralperspector(how ever the hell you spell it) is? I don't have to time to google it as I am about to go home, on my two hour drive through LA, I'm likely to forget by the time I get there, but I'm sure to see when I get home. thanks.

7. profile image0

Mark, perhaps you might have faith in Christ further down the road, it certainly has blessed my life. Who knows, but if there is a schred of belief in the human heart in one's own creator then it would behoove that person to do all they could to find out about him and live according to his will as close to humanly possible. I hope that you could one day find it in your heart to forgive those crusaders who so long ago apostacized from the truth and caused so much human misery in their path.

Not a shred I am afraid.

This is largely because it is not true, and there is more than enough actual evidence around for me not to be able to conjure up the necessary blind faith.

I don't need to forgive them. I just try and prevent them from doing it again as best I can.

And it wasn't that long ago. smile  I heard Sarah Palin tell me the war in Iraq is God's war. For me there is no room in what Jesus was supposed to have said for a christian to be OK with war and killing.

Yet I meet them all the time.......

8. needful things profile image65
    needful thingsposted 15 years ago

"Lord what fools these mortals be..."

Puck was right after all...

9. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

""Lord what fools these mortals be..." Think we heard that one already. Got anything more.
    I'm with Toad. I been wonderin' what viralprospector means as well.
    Prospecting for viral.
    This is not 'Brideshead'. Don't think there are going to be any death bed conversions. It is another level altogether.

10. needful things profile image65

LOL... you got it...

You exactly got my point... that's just great!!!

You see... all of us are going in circles around here.

I sure wondered how long before someone notices it... and you did.  Cool!!!

I've been gone for like 4 hours and my question remains open what's a viralprocter? Someone enlighten me.

1. profile image0

I think it is VP's way of saying that there are gains to be made by heeling the sick.  ???

If that be the case, that's kind of clever, but for a dumb guy like me it sounds like something else as everyone keeps mentioning.

11. profile image0

Mohitmisra, I heartly agree with you.

1. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 15 years agoin reply to this

smile

12. profile image0

Charles Martel won the battle of tours against the Islamic expansion movement in the 13th century. it was noted as a pivotal moment in world history. Imagine all of Europe being Islamic.

good for them if that be the way the world turned.

Maybe millions of Native Americans would have been spared their civilizations?

2. mohitmisra profile image60

The Muslim- Christian fight is still going on smile Each is still  looking for dominance- when will this madness stop?

Never, Ishmael and Isaac always went their own ways.

I will try to stop it smile through knowledge smile

Good luck with that but while you're at it I'm going to go read Rockin' Joe's new hub. c-ya.

Bye it was a pleasure smile

13. profile image0

Never, I imagine.

14. needful things profile image65

There are rules to everything. Standards to follow. Mores to satisfy. Conventions to live by.

But don't expect me to follow or be bound by them. I decide for myself and if need be I make my own rules. I advice others to do so.

15. profile image0

Well if that's the way you see it you are entitled to your oppinion. Although I do not consider Sarah Palin to be a prophet of God, my prophet has never advocated war.

Well, I asked you earlier to please quote me saying one single word against jesus' teachings.

You have not done so - why not?

But now you seem to be saying that there are more than one type of christian. The ones like Sarah Palin, who believe jesus and god want them to fight wars, and presumably you.

Is that correct?

16. needful things profile image65

Yep...

Prophets are like heroes. They get people killed.

17. profile image0

Sorry I didn't answer your question I thought you were talking about something else. And no I'm sure that you didn't say anything against Jesus's teachings.
         Also I know that there are millions of Christians who do not advocate war, if any nation declares war we are commanded to renounce war and lift the standard of peace.

In which case, why did you ask me this question?

18. profile image0

I just get the feeling that you believe the misdeeds of some Christians are based on scripture, there is a past history of wrong doing but that brief moment in history is long gone. Of course if you look for the bad in something you will always find it no matter what it is.

Ah. That is the trouble with basing all your knowledge on "feelings," or faith. smile

I have never said any such thing, although there are many I have met here who justify their actions by using scripture.  And the brief moment in history continues to this day.

See Palestine.

Np apology needed. lol

I think people think that just because you see flaws it means you pick them out on purpose...Hell, I'm a big pessimist and I still see the good in people, it's just easier to see wrong doing and resolve it, at least in my mind... big_smile

People invariably see what they are predisposed to see.

Oh, he is an atheist, therefore he hates god, and hates me because I love god, and thinks that jesus' teachings are inhumane, and agrees with the communist's killing of christian believers in Russia's dark times. 

That is the trouble with believing in the faith you believe in. All your decisions have already been made for you. You have been "taught what to think." big_smile

I am always open to listening to what anyone has to say, and make a decision based on the things they say and responses I get from them. wink

There are plenty of believers I have had contact with here that I respect and we have managed to interact well. Some I will clash with. You know the ones. But then another comes in and sees a christian vs an atheist and take sides.

I haven't decided about you yet - the only thing clear is that you are in pain. Not sure why yet.

I'm not sure how to take that last statement...lol. I'd hope I'd be found as a semi-level headed person and at least someone who attempts to coexist, but I'm sure I have flaws in those areas too. Maybe one day that whole pain thing will come out into the open?

Oh, please don't take it as offensive, because there was none meant. It was more an observation. You seem at least as level headed as any one else I know. Admittedly, that is not saying much. lol

I'm a musician...I have the right to be "a little" crazy big_smile

No offense taken, I was more or less confused about it. I think you might be one of two people, Pam (pgrundy) the other one, who sort of read my mind on the "pain" thing.

Well, I cannot claim to read minds, but I worked as a massage therapist for many years, and I guess you spot the "signs."

Probably best not discussed on an open forum, but if you think an 'atheist" might be able to offer a different perspective, feel free to drop me a PM through my profile. Despite my outward antagonism towards many Christians, this is not necessarily for the reasons most people jump to conclude.......You never know - I am an aspiring musician myself so I am at least as crazy as you lol

I don't mind open forums, as long as the atagonist can handle a sarcastic response once in a while wink

I am a recovering agnostic, to tell you the truth. I believe in faith because, in my case, I have something to lean on in my mind. Whether it exists or not is not what perplexes me as much as the ability for me to lean on something I can't see or touch, and whether that reliance is ona  deity or just on my soul, there's some consolation there.

I'm always up for differing perspective. Gives me the ability to think as others do, since I am finite and I think a certain way. Obviously some don't feel they need faith, hence why they don't believe (Paraglider, per example). Me on the other hand, I have too many issues and somedays I think it's only by faith I stay together... tongue

Feel free to email me personally on a closed discussion.

19. profile image0

I just herd somone say that anger is like trying to kill somone by drinking poison. An enlightenment guy. Very soothing.

That is half true. Anger is an appropriate response some times but of you cannot identify the source or it is inappropriate,  it becomes a poison that will eat you from the inside out.

20. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

I often wonder (and in amazement this post is still going strong) if the people involved in such discussions (knowing they will never change the other parties) really are doing it to protect something within themselves, out of a fear of some sort. 

And that idea includes both sides!

1. Teresa McGurk profile image59
      Teresa McGurkposted 15 years agoin reply to this

funny -- I was just wondering something similar (in relation to MK and t.keely, at any rate) and guess it might have sthg to do with continuously trying to explain it to ourselves, to reassure ourselves it's still  -- right, for want of a better word.  Oh, I once met a Rinpoche who was laughing at the people in the group who wanted to "convert" to Bhuddism; why ever would they want to? he asked.  We all find what's (*right*) (there's that dang word again, and it's not the best one, sorry) inside us, anyway, so who cares what religion we are?  And if we are atheists, but innately good, so what?  And if we are agnostics -- well, that very admission implies its opposite, doesn't it, and so again, so what? 

So: so what, guys?  Let's all go have a beer, instead. . .

1. maestrowhit profile image60
        maestrowhitposted 15 years agoin reply to this

beer sounds good to me. It's funny, I started this thread thinking I would just invite people to give their own definition of the term "Religion." It kindof took off on a different road than I expected.

As for the question of why continue to argue - well, I don't think it's all as simple as a need to reinforce in one's heart what one thinks is "right." That is clearly a part of it for some people, though.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59

I am well aware I will not change anyone's mind about what they have already decided - I am not trying to.

Once you have made a decision that there is a god and that the bible is the word of god or at least that your particular church interprets the bible in a way that agrees with your pre existing beliefs, and you can feel comfortable that god thinks the same way you do, you are pretty much set. Everyone needs a friend. smile

I personally do not feel the need to have faith in something that does not exist. I used to, but like many people, this was because I had it drilled into me as a child that that is what everyone thinks and therefore is correct.

At some point, I began to question things because it just plain doesn't make sense. There are ways around this, and I am pretty sure there is a religion some where for just about every one which offers a god that just happens to think the way you do lol

As I became older I realized that not only does it not make sense, it is a deliberate ploy to subjugate people.

I also feel that the idea of an all powerful god actually prevents us from growing, and moving forwards either scientifically or ethically. Who knows where we would be if we had not spent so much time and effort worshiping, building edifices (which we call symbols) and killing each other for a god?

Who knows what morals and ethics we could have developed if we hadn't been clinging to  some bronze age world view?

And even when we do make a step, the religious claim this is because of god. Oh - let's ignore the fact that we basically wiped out an entire indigenous people, focus on the fact that this is a "cristian" nation and those dead Indians are just because we are imperfect. In god we trust ....... lol

We should at least give credit where credit is due. But no - we are worthless sinners not fit to grace heaven's door.

Or if you are one of those that translates god's 100% perfect word to mean something else, then whatever it is you translate it to mean.

What a waste of time.

And after that rant - I personally am speaking to the people who have not yet decided, and probably are not taking part in the conversation, and I enjoy winding up the zealots. wink

1. Sufidreamer profile image80
        Sufidreamerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Therein lies the problem.

Like t.keeley, I toyed with atheism for a while, but always felt that there was something more. I have seen a few things that leads me to believe in a creator. The key is that I understand that the existence of a supreme being cannot be rationalised, and I will never judge anybody on faith alone. Whilst I decided upon Orthodox Christianity, I am not the biggest fan of dogma, and that seems to be where most of the problems lie.

I rarely go to church, feeling closer to creation at the top of my mountain. Whilst Orthodox churches are beautiful, they are not where I choose to 'worship.' I also believe that the bible is a moral guide, not a rule book, and certainly not historical fact. Evolution all the way for me. In fact, I do not believe in the concept of sin, so whether that makes me a bad Christian, I do not know, but have long ceased caring about the judgement of others.

As you can tell from the name, I like to dig around the fringes of religion, and have a respect for the holy men who live on inaccessible rocks in the Atlantic or some isolated oasis in the desert. For me, treading the spiritual path is a personal journey, and I feel no pressing need to try to convert others to my way of thinking. I respect the beliefs of everybody else, be they muslim, hindu, atheist or whatever, and I find that most people respect mine. If you look for an argument, you will find it, and I cannot see how humanity benefits from strife and turmoil.

I prefer to measure a person by their actions, not by their particular interpretation of whatever Holy Book they follow.

Sorry about the rambling - I seem to be on one today smile

Seems pretty much my approach, but without the need for a creator big_smile

Also - I choose not to respect certain beliefs. I have a hard time accepting that the war in Iraq is god's war, or that I am a sinner and going to burn in hell. Which a lot of people believe.

I must admit, I had rather thought this to be an out-moded concept, but after spending ten years living in the US, I came to see that there is a massive resurgence in this way of thinking. Many American politicians tie in their belief in god to their political "convictions." And this is almost required to be elected in that country.

Unfortunately it is once again connected to an "outside," threat. Whether that be terrorism or radical Islam or dependence on foreign oil or whatever. As a keen student of history, I see where this way of thinking led in the past, and it seems to be heading there again. Just look at the discussion on Israel in the politics forum. I also live close to a Muslim community here, and get all the Arab TV stations. The same thing is happening over there. sad

Perhaps the scariest is when they promote an "inside," threat, such as the destruction of the family unit by homosexuals. No one in their right mind could possibly see homosexuality as a threat. Speaking personally when I was single, the more gay guys out there the better. lol

The beliefs I do respect are the type that involves private worship. If you want to sit on a mountain top "worshipping," a creator, that is your business. But when you start telling me you have the truth and I need to follow it or be damned, then we have a problem. lol

Although, if you do not see how humanity benefits from strife and turmoil, it seems you have not understood evolution wink

21. Sufidreamer profile image80
    Sufidreamerposted 15 years ago

Like you, I believe in a complete separation of Church and state. Unfortunately, many of these so-called politicians manipulate their beliefs to garner power and influence. The Tory party used to do exactly the same thing with the 'Fear the immigrant' card - it appeals to the most extreme elements in society and breeds racism and intolerance.

Threats and fear sell. Fear of Communism. Fear of 'The Black Man' and fear of Islam all make people spend money, just to be 'safe.' The media manipulates science and religion to sensationalise and sell. As you can tell, I am not a big fan of the Australian Poison Dwarf.

As you say, my faith is a personal thing. Everybody treads their own path and that is the mystery of life. I have too many friends of all faiths and none to believe that any of them are 'wicked' or 'misguided.' I have gay friends and do not care what anybody thinks about that - I have developed a respect for the 'reborn' Anglican Church in that respect! smile I share some of the rationalism that if a creator condemns people to eternal torture, then I have no respect for that God. My rationalism leads me to believe in a non-judgemental creator. smile

With you on the evolution. wink

22. aka-dj profile image65

What/who is Australian Poison Dwarf?
    Haven't heard this before.

Howdy aka-dj

Rupert Murdoch mad

1. aka-dj profile image65
        aka-djposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I thought you meant John Howard, who has been deposed.
        Old Rupe? He's American now! (well, dual at least) lol

I believe that he renounced his Australian citizenship - your conscience is now clear!

23. aka-dj profile image65

Cool.
    It's bedtime here, so I can sleep easy.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)