The belief in God has caused more problems than it has solved!

Jump to Last Post 51-100 of 179 discussions (1698 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Deepes Mindposted 11 years ago

That is in that same chapter. He was rejected at Nazareth because the people Were operating off of their memories of him. Jesus grew up as a carpenter and was around those same people. He left then returned speaking of a new way of living. The majority only looked at him with their memories of what he had done in the past and as such refused to accept that he had changed. As a result, Jesus could only truly help  and perform miracles for those that believed. For those who didn't, He could do nothing for although he wanted to so he left them to the lives they chose. A Modern day example of that would be a former drug dealer or addict returning to his old crackhouse trying to help the same people he used to do drugs with. A majority of them will reject what he is saying because of his past, so he can only help those that that want to be helped and believe that he can help them.

It's the concept of agreeing to disagree. If anything I've said to you changed your beliefs and you wanted to learn more, I would be happy to keep explaining The Bible to you. I am happy discussing it with you now because you are still respectful in your disagreement. But if you still refuse to accept the information, I can still respect your point of view and continue along my way while still showing you kindness and respect when we speak as long as you continue to respect me. If you choose to personally attack me then I would still accept your point of view, but not deal with it.

1. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'll give you respect and I'll accept it for the same reasons you've described.

I don't feel your modern day example is fair unless the entire population was strung out on opium. A modern day example would be someone coming into a hospital and healing everyone at once. Then to show he himself was responsible to goes to the next hospital and does the same. Nobody believes him so he his put on trial and killed, but a few days later he walks around the planet showing his wounds. And still no one believes? The only reasonable explanation would be that none of these events ever took place and were written after the fact.

It's the concept of agreeing to disagree. If anything I've said to you changed your beliefs and you wanted to learn more, I would be happy to keep explaining reality to you respectfully.

I've only changed one word in the sentence you wrote. I changed (the Bible) to (reality) and I've added respectfully. Interesting how it changes everything with just a few words.

2. profile image0

Getitrite, Satan is only one of a number of names to describe the being commonly known as the devil. Lucifer was actually an angel that played music to usher in the appearance of God in heaven (so the story goes for the sake of humor). However, Lucifer Started to think that he had as much power as God and started rebelling against the system and as such was cast out of Heaven. In other words, He was deported for trying to overthrow the Government (If you will)

(**Note** I recognize that you are an atheist and have very strong feelings about what you believe, so in my responses I will strive to explain things as according to an everyday modern day principle to accomodate your beliefs. I have no intentions of insulting or attacking your posts or point of view and I ask you to show me that same regard. This is not saying that you have done it already, just asking in advance.. Thanks)

3. profile image0

Rad Man, the information I just gave getrite is a description for you as well of sorts. The devil rejected God's authority and as such almost goes past it (in a sense. This falls into a category that for me, cannot be fully and clearly explained). I know this next statement will have me raked over the coals, but here goes. Everything has to come to a balance otherwise there is a disturbance. For instance, If God saved everyone from death and being murdered, then there would be even more overcrowding. nobody could or would die and the ecosystem would be worse off than it already is. (from a baseline perspective). This idea would actually negate free will because then there would be no murder and as such no evil.. etc.. Again there is soooo much more to it than that that I honestly would not even try to give an answer for because it deals with a lot of hypotheticals. so I'm going to leave that alone. I will not run down that rabbit trail. lol

1. getitrite profile image72
      getitriteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No offense, but this explanation leaves no real room for a devil, as it seems that you are asserting that this is the NECESSARY processes of nature, and that death and evil are natural, and not a construct of any devil.

2. profile image0

We've all got to die sometime right. I get that, but babies and children, that I don't get. Imagine telling an 8 year old they are about to die a slow painful death. Where is God in that? I can tell you where nature and evolution is, but I don't see a loving God in a Child's painful death.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
        Kathryn L Hillposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Seems like you expect a lot out of God. What can he do? He is invisible.

1. profile image0

Now he's invisible without power. Please make up your mind. I'm constantly told God is all powerful and all knowing, and they you tell me I expect too much from an invisible spirit?

Power comes from energy... invisible, right?  His energy has to travel through various types of conduits. Jesus healed the sick and dying with His/God's energy.
            Some children have come to earth with imperfect bodies.( Law of Justice and karma is the actual reason for imperfect bodies. )
            Jesus said, Know ye not that ye are gods?
            If we knew we were gods, (beings made of (God's) energy,) We also could heal with Our/God's energy.
            Just sharin' my view point.

1. profile image0

Karma, now you're saying children suffer because of something they did in another life. But they have no memory of that life, but it doesn't matter to you or your God that these children are suffering for something they don't even remember. What would you think the child would learn for the next life they don't remember by the suffering that had to do because of the part life? You are making no sense at all.

I have read that If someone kills himself in suicide, his karma will be a deformed body in the next life. This is to help that person appreciate having a healthy body (in his next life.) As I understand it, this is the law of justice. If someone kills by sword...in this or another lifetime, that person's karma is to die by the sword. (I wonder what the Karma for Hitler is. I believe his own conscience put him into a hellish life after death. Will he return to earth and pay the debt he incurred? I actually read that he perhaps earned the second death wherein he does die for good. My question is, is there a second death for some unredeemable souls, or do even they get a chance to come back and develop a love for Reality.) I do NOT believe in eternal darkness. It is impossible! I think I am off topic. sorry.
                But to ramble on... If some one abuses another in this life time, they will receive that same treatment in another lifetime. It all comes back. Not only bad.
                Good too. (Which is what that sitcom, My name is Earl, was about.)

BTW lessons are learned despite the absence of memory. I guess the light blueprint of the brain retains some sort of memory.
                It is a good point you bring up, Mr. R. Man

1. profile image0

I don't see how reincarnation fits in with Christianity?

1. profile image0
                    jonnycomelatelyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I see the concept of reincarnation as Hinduism's equivalent of sin and hell in Christism.  I see both concepts as the tools with which humans judge and threaten other humans.   The object in each case is to control by fear.   

By disposing of the "life after death," or "next life," or "karma" ideas, I can free up myself to concentrate on THIS life and all of its joys, sadness, pleasures, disappointments, challenges, hopes and mysteries.

After my death, when my senses will have passed away, therefore no feelings or awareness or consciousness, I will not be able to experience anything of this life.  So right now, what happens to my body, after my death, is not my concern.  Whether or not there is an individual "spiritual" entity to my Being that continues to exist beyond my death, I cannot know.  To believe in such is for others if they so choose.  For me to worry about it is an absolute waste of time.  Life continues in others because of my death:  in the bacteria and smaller organisms (maybe even a lion or a crocodile) that devour the elements of my body.  All in the "natural" course of things.

Karma? Wishful thinking in my book.

2. profile image0
            Deepes Mindposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, the truth is that we do expect too much out of that "invisible spirit". We call out to him to help us with things that actually he has empowered us to do for ourselves. A lot of Christians Pray for someone who is hungry when we have the power to feed that person. We pray for the sick when we have the power to get them to a treatment facility... and so on and so forth. Now of course this explanation can be dismissed as saying if we can do it ourselves, we don't need him, and as such he still doesn't exist. Exactly to the first one (we don't need him per se), depends on how you choose to believe (whether or not he exists). He doesn't interfere as much as a lot of Christians and atheists think he does. Again this is my opinion. This is where agnostics come in. They believe in a higher power, but cannot prove one exists and so they just go about their lives without being locked in one way or the other

If you close your eyes, and sense you actual essence, that essence is invisible. What is the essence of soul? energy!  Where does it go at death? why can I not remember anything before I was born?
              It is pretty darn subtle.   as in beyond the intellect.
              In my opinion.

4. profile image0

Chris, Was that comment directed at me? If it is, then I'm not sure how many of my responses you have actually read. I have tried to provide an answer to questions based on what I personally believe while trying to be respectful of everyone elses's viewpoint. I don't think I attacked anyone here. If there is something that I've said that was an attack to you, please show me where and I can clarify my statements and ask you to accept my apology. If you are just stating that me discussing God (which is my personal belief) is an attack on you and thus offensive, then That is another matter altogether. In either Case, I am trying to be respectful and understanding of everyone's opinion stated here. I did not "demand" respect, It was simply a request that I fully intend to reciprocate. If there is anything in my statements that can be deemed disrespectful or a personal attack, then I will apologize and try to rephrase it without the implied attack.

1. profile image0

Deepes - Go to the top right and change the threaded to chronological.

1. profile image0

thanks.. i was reading this directly from the main page..lol

1. profile image0

No problems, we are all in this together.

5. blcurry profile image60
    blcurryposted 11 years ago

He was referring to getirite, who coincidentally getsitwrong........

Yep.  More passive/aggressive insults.

6. profile image0

Getitrite, There is a difference between telling the truth or lying and stating an opinion based on beliefs. A Lie is willfully speaking something that is opposite of what facts and evidence can prove. An opinion is formed based on A belief. Beliefs are not inherently true as they are. A belief is simply an understanding and opinion of information that is provided. I will be the first one to tell you that it is a lie if you believe in the bible exactly as it is written, word for word, because there are a lot of things in the bible that simply aren't true. As I mentioned earlier, The OT is full of parables that just offer a metaphorical explanation of something and as such I refuse to put a whole lot into it. The NT, on the other hand, More provides a guideline pattern of behavior. Sure there are other books that provide the same information. The things I tell you are the truth based on my beliefs of what I understand of the information I've read. That is not a lie. that is a belief. My belief is no more or no less valid than your own based off of the information that you were given. As such. I will not say that I am right and you are wrong. I will simply say that we are each entitled to what we feel and when we die, we die and whatever happens after that is that.

I try to be as objective in my responses, but I still have my beliefs. Do I think I'm right? I don't know fully and will not know until I reach the end. But for me I still live the best life I can possibly live for myself, not out of fear of God. I like the concept of a life after death, but I don't know for sure if there is. The bible states there is something better after we leave here and personally, it doesn't hurt me to strive for that continued better. If no such thing exists, then I still lived a life that I felt is best for me based on my personal outlook, not following what everyone else says. We won't ever know for sure until we pass on.

Then, how in the world can you believe that the bible is the Word of God?  It seems that the creator of the universe, with all of its intricacies, could do a much much better job of informing us about divine matters.  Instead of omniscient, this seems downright feeble-minded.

I beg to differ.  It is apparent that your beliefs are based on wishful thinking.  Based on all of the scientific information we've been given, I think it is disingenuous to conclude that your belief are on parallel with reason.

You sound like you almost have the confidence to be agnostic.  I understand just how strong  indoctrination is.  I was raised in a devout, black Christian home. My father was a Pentecostal minister.  It takes a rigid commitment to honesty, reason, and intellect to defy my "heritage", as you probably know, it hasn't been easy.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

...eternal life. as opposed to death. Actually this is all so subtle it is hard to talk about it. They say it is beyond intellectual comprehension.

1. profile image0

Truth of the matter is that it isn't beyond intellectual comprehension. The issue at hand is that A lot of Christians hold on too tightly to an archaic book as the unequivocal truth of the existence of God and his work that they make it deeper than it really is which makes it easy for a lot of atheists to pick apart. On the flip side of the coin, a lot of atheists hold on so tightly to science and logic as to make it so easy to dismiss and deny the existence of God which then puts the burden of proof on Christians to prove what they are unable to prove because They (a lot of the organized ones) are holding to an outdated book. THere are three sides to every story. one side, the other side, and the truth. Both sides are so dug in to the certainty that their side is the correct side that they refuse (a lot of them anyway) to accept the possibility that the truth may just be a combination of each side... What a concept. It's a concept that both sides may and probably will jump on me for even bringing up

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
          Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are correct - it is not beyond intellectual comprehension.

The burden of proof is on you guys claiming the invisible entity. I am open to accepting your proof. Go!

1. profile image0

To be perfectly Honest with you Mark, I (as a Christian) have no way to prove in the modern day the existence of God that would make sense, because biblically I really am not supposed to. The "invisible entity" (as you chose to call him) actually gave us the power to do for ourselves what we expect him and call on him to do for us, so there is no reason or need for him to physically manifest himself to us in this day and age. Also a lot of trace evidence of him physically manifesting in the past have been wiped away. There is no specific way of showing where he manifested as to which would glaring say "God was standing right here" No more than there is proof of you standing anywhere. I could say that you were at Mcdonalds last tuesday, but if there is no visual proof of where you were standing (as in you were not in the line of sight of any recording devices) it could be dismissed that you were not there. But that doesn't mean that you don't exist. that just means that there is no recorded evidence of you standing where someone said you were standing. So if I said I saw you, the burden of proof would still be on me that you were standing where I say you were standing. Same principle as atheists trying to push on Christians to prove the existence of God without any visually recorded (since none exists) evidence.

Not the same principal at all. At least you admit there is no evidence of your god. Not sure why you felt the need to obscure that with this nonsense. Why not just admit there is no evidence?

1. profile image0

I freely admit that there is no evidence. But that doesn't mean that he does not exist. That Just means there is no proof. Just like as I stated before If there is no evidence of you being somewhere that doesn't mean that you were never there. So the principle is still exactly the same. I think I was clear in my analogy and how the two correlate, but it would appear that in your apparently (to me) closed minded state you refuse to accept any ideal that has anything to do with God. Based on your response, I also further conclude that if proof could be provided that you would attempt to dismiss that proof as something else. As such, I will respectfully agree to disagree with you and not enter into a debate with you over something you will not accept the possibility of. You are perfectly entitled to your belief as am I and live as according to what works best for you. Your way is the right way as it relates to your life. I do not seek to change yours or anyone else's mind here. I only seek to exchange information and viewpoints. I accept the possibility that I may be wrong, but if my beliefs are working for me, then there is no need to change them. Same with you. I'm sure if at some point your opinions change then you will adjust your life as according to the new thoughts

Right - there is no proof. Not the same principal at all - it is possible to provide proof that I was at McDonald's.

Of course I accept the possibility - but as we both agree - there is no proof. It is also possible that an infinite number of other invisible entities exist. therefore your invisible entity is infinitely improbable - at best.

Odd - you say you are not trying to change my mind and at the same time accuse me of doing something I have not and would not do.

There is no proof. we agree - how can you then accuse me of dismissing proof if it was presented when you agree there is not any possibility of providing any? Why do you need to lie about me?

You also call me close minded. Why the need to attack me  in that fashion? I do not believe you are here to exchange information and viewpoints as you 100% reject mine. You are here to share your opinion and dismiss all others - this is why your religion causes so many conflicts.

What information have you exchanged exactly - other than to accuse me of doing something that is not possible and call me close minded because I reject your ridiculous claims? How is that being close minded exactly? Do you accept that Zeus, Goblins and the Loch Ness monster exist? If not - surely you are being as close minded as I?

1. profile image0

You have attacked my points as well. Calling my beliefs ridiculous and nonsense is an attack in my opinion. All you had to clearly state is that you disagree and leave it at that. Instead, you insulted my point of view. To me that is close minded. I have not stated in any shape form or fashion that anything you have said was "stupid, ridiculous" or stopped to that level. All I've said is that it is different. Again it's about perspective..

You missed what I said.. I didn't say anything about there being proof or not of you BEING at Mc'Donalds. I said Specifically proof of you STANDING EXACTLY WHERE I SAID YOU WERE STANDING. (look back at the first mention of it).

I didn't say you dismissed proof because as we agree proof has not been provided. But I did state that If there was evidence that can be provided I feel that you would figure a way of dismissing that as proof of God.. I could provide a matching analogy, But we have differing viewpoints and based on how you dismissed my first point as nonsense I don't see the necessity as it would only lead to more attacks from you.. Have a good day

I accept the possibility that Zeus, Goblins, And the Loch Ness monster exist. Just because I have never seen proof of their existence doesn't mean that they don't (especially since people have different names for everything).. So your attempt to turn that ideal around on me.. sorry, you missed me with that one.

2. profile image0

Let's explore that possibility of you being able to provide proof that you were at McDonalds (Working under the supposition that There were no video recording devices). What proof could you provide that you were there? A receipt? You can find a Mcdonald's receipt anywhere. Your bank statement with your name on it? Someone could have used your credit card.. There you have it. There was no video proof of you being there and the only evidence you have is a receipt and a bank statement that can easily be dismissed as belonging to someone else...

BOOM.. based on that circumstantial evidence, I can still conclude that you were never at McDonald's.. Once again, same difference. There was no video surveillance equipment back then. All there is was eyewitness account. any evidence that can be found can be explained away. Defense attorneys do it all the time to create reasonable doubt. That doesn't mean that the defendant didn't commit the crime, just that there is not enough evidence to support it.. You may not see it as the same thing, but obviously we will just have differing viewpoints and I'm leaving further discussion with you at that

Mark. just close you eyes! "You" are actually an invisible entity. A drop of energy in the immense ocean of energy. Literally. The eastern religions explain that If you concentrate (eyes closed) deeply enough over time, with devotion to Our Creator, one can see the light of His energy. How could one see it, if it wasn't within and without each of us and what each of us is created from?
            What is really amazing (to me) is looking up at night. All those stars are like our sun. Not reflecting like the moon and the planets......They are shining, because they are burning balls of flame and heat.

...actually fusing gases of hydrogen and helium. Stars can burn for billions of years and are more than 120 trillion light years away! Our sun is considered to be a Dwarf. It is smaller than most stars. It is a main sequence star and will continue to burn for several billion more years.

7. profile image0

Getitrite, You notice that I even prefaced my statement by saying that I knew i was going to get raked for this and that It was difficult for me to even explain...LOL, But thanks for your insight and your perspective. I really can take that into advisement and never try agan...LOL

8. profile image0

I can accept that idea of wishful thinking. But that is the thing about belief. It doesn't always have to be parallel with reason. on the flip side, even scientific information is subject to the interpretation of the person studying it (similarly to religion). So it could be contended (although I'm not contending that myself. I'm still trying to remain objective) that by following information provided that is more recent but still is provided by the conclusions of the person studying it could be equally disingenuous.

Yeah, My ideals are more in line with agnosticism in several areas, because A lot of agnostics apply critical thinking skills and come to the conclusion of "Who knows.. Who cares". they IMO the neutral in the whole thing. But Agnostics idea says we have no way of knowing for sure, but there is something out there that is bigger than us. But in other areas, My personal beliefs are more in line with more of an individualized idea of Christianity. I've searched the information for myself as well as have had experiences that were totally unexplained and made my decision based on that. My decision (at this point in my life) Has nothing to do with outside teaching or what is accepted in the mainstream organization. Religion in itself is individualized  despite the "mob mentality" ideal by people that cannot stand alone.  I've met atheists and have atheistic friends that were part of atheist groups similar to churches that have the same mob mentality as a lot of Christians, muslims.. etc

But you implied that it, in fact, was parallel.

But scientific information is logical, whereas holy books are outlandish and whimsical.  Does common sense at some point enter the equation?

Saying that "there is something out there that is bigger than us" only states the obvious, but does not equate to Goddunnit.

Again, unexplained experiences do not default to Goddunnit.  This is purely conjecture, based upon a post indoctrinated command.

It seems apparent that it does have to do with outside teaching.  This is comparable to a kid running away from home, but camping out in the back yard of his parents' house.  You seem afraid to COMPLETELY let go of what you have been indoctrinated to view as sacred...although you have the perception to see the absurdity.

1. profile image0

He is so close to reality and yet so far. I applaud him for getting to where he is.

1. profile image0

who is to say I am far from reality? There are three different realities.. Yours, mine and actual. Your reality and mine are based on individualized perspectives based on perceptions of what we have made on information that was given to us. So your reality, while valid to you, is no more valid than my reality is to me. For all we know, we could both be wrong

1. OutWest profile image57
            OutWestposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Funny how I've only ever heard atheists say to someone how they are glued in reality but the other person is not.  A case of pointing fingers perhaps?

1. profile image0

Pointing fingers works both ways (playing advocate here). A lot of atheists state clearly that they are rooted in reality and Christians are not, but a lot of Christians imply the same thing by stating that anyone with an opposing point of view will be sent to hell while they will go to heaven. The irony of that ideal is that by judging where non believers or people that believe differently are going is as much of a sin that will land a lot of so-called "Christians" in the same place.

2. profile image0

Haven't learned to pull specific quotes yet, but here we go

If I implied any parallel between the two, it was unintentional.

Even logic doesn't explain everything. Logic is a  lot more practical, but that does not make it any more correct considering the overall concept. Logic does not disprove the existence of God any more than The stories in the Bible prove the existence (that's based more on the interpretation of the reader and the resulting opinion that is formed by the reader). Therefore your question of "common sense" coming into play to a degree is irrelevant. What is the definition of common sense? And what is common sense based on by your standards?

And I agree with that.. Nor does it deny the existence thereof either.

Again I agree, nor does it deny it. It is a matter of what I choose to believe.

This comment implies the assumption that I actually grew up in the church and as such I was indoctrinated to conform to a certain belief system that I "view as sacred". If you really examine the concept of "outside teaching" then anything you read and choose to adopt can be considered "outside teaching" as it comes from an outside source, rather than your own mind. So it could be argued that you have been indoctrinated with your beliefs as well since the definition of indoctrinate is to instruct in a principle, doctrine, ideology.. etc, especially to imbue with a partisan or biased point of view... so who is to say which "outside teaching" is the correct one.

Throughout this entire discussion, I have attempted to elaborate and clarify my position as it regards to my beliefs as well as to offer information in answer to questions that have been raised. During my replies, I have not attempted to dismiss your views as invalid even though Your "logic" dictates that once something cannot be explained fully then the overall ideal or principle of a thing becomes invalid whereas your responses to me have been dismissive and derided as nonsensical but you have not offered any insight as to validate your own beliefs. Even if you were to offer your own ideas and explanations to why you are an atheist (other than the bible is stupid mindless drivel) that would only validate those beliefs to you while I can and still may have the option of respectfully disagreeing with your points. The truth of the matter is that on a basic fundamental scale your beliefs are no more or no less valid than mine. Your beliefs are your beliefs(opinions, philosophy..etc) and are no more rooted in the "facts" of logic and science than my beliefs are rooted in the principles contained in the Bible with the added option of wishful thinking and belief in a "God"

9. profile image0

It's two sides of a coin. That's where again it comes down to what works best for individuals. Just giving the information and allowing the individual to believe as he or she deems fit without passing judgement on their decision

10. profile image0

It's wordplay based on individual perspective and point of view.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't envision the 90% of people in this World who believe or think God exist will stop doing so. Yet already more people tell me they Spiritual sided rather than Religious and spiritual sided people will be the majority in the future.

Spiritual age is what's wroth looking forward to, in our lifetime  rather than an "One world Religion

East and West can unite to give the true explanation on all this. But sadly, no one wants to go there.

11. profile image0

And for the record, I don't think any of those things about you that others have said about you

I appreciate that.  And thanks for visiting my hub.

1. profile image0

That's no problem. I enjoy reading a lot and try to maintain as open of a mind as possible. That hub was very good and encourages critical thinking (which is something that is lacking in both the religious and the secular world at times)

Yes, hopefully it will encourage critical thinking...something very lacking, indeed.

12. TheIrishStrongman profile image55
    TheIrishStrongmanposted 11 years ago

I don't believe you are really paying attention.  Maybe, maybe, maybe you could felt put upon 50 years ago or after having a bad experience with a zealot at your door.  Truth is, times have changed.  It is now the Conservative Christian that is "Put upon."  Look at how bad schools are.  You ask,"Why can't Christians keep their beliefs out of politics and out of schools?"  You and your associates got their wish already.  The evidence speaks for itself.  I have always found that the Utopia that Athiests chase is a myth.  I have also found that they are poor students of history.  No, in this day, we are being imposed on.

13. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 11 years ago

Rad Man wrote:
    Would you raise your children to be less educated and weaker then yourself just incase they got our of control?

Excelent point.   We are spirit beings which came down to the physical world. Born into bodies having no memory of who we really are cause if we remembered all that stuff we knew before. ..Well?  We would just screw everything up 1,000,000 times quicker than we're doing anyway.

That is why there are so many religions to argue amongst themselves and racial discrimination, and political parties.
        Causes us to focus on disharmony instead of figureing out what is really going on.

Cause nothing is as it apears to be.    And it's gotta stay like that.

14. howtolearnmore profile image61
    howtolearnmoreposted 11 years ago

Not sure what's the point of this thread.

Do you expect to hear an answer or just to engage in a debate? You know why religion will always exist? Because it was built on passion and emotions. We, human beings, like that.

Atheism is intellectually superior, but it doesn't offer anything spiritual-wise, which is also very important!

15. Disappearinghead profile image60
    Disappearingheadposted 11 years ago

In response to your post Chris Neal that hubpages wont let me post directly after your comment......

Interesting spin on this Chris; if we are supposed to treat others as we would wish to be treated, why do you think God will treat people in such an evil manner as to send them to hell? Is this how he would like to be treated? A leader (God) must lead by example.

1. profile image0

Good question n and spin on his spin.. Let me ask you something.. If you have kids and they disobey the rules that you have set out for them, what do you do?

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
        Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I make them sit on the naughty chair until they are sorry. This is designed to promote a change in behaviour not punishment. I don't douse them in petrol and set them on fire.

1. profile image0

And is this what you would want done to you if you disobeyed the rules?

1. profile image0

Why not. It's exactly what happens to adults when they do something wrong (prison), why not teach children that certain behaviour is unacceptable by giving them a time out.

2. Chris Neal profile image78
          Chris Nealposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But it's about more than simply a temporary change in behavior, which may or may not be accompanied by a change in attitude. Besides, what if making the kid sit in the naughty chair resulted in them yelling at you that you are mean and proceeding to destroy your property simply because you "aren't the boss of them?"

1. profile image0

That's when creativity comes into play. Find out what they want and take it away. Last year I took a cell phone away from a 17 year old for a few weeks. He was much more respectful after that.

1. Chris Neal profile image78

DH was applying the analogy to the Biblical ideas of Heaven and hell. God gets very creative. Believe me, I wouldn't be a Christian otherwise.

2. bBerean profile image60
      bBereanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Think of it this way...God is the only source of light.  If you reject Him, and He honors your decision to have nothing to do with Him, do you have a legitimate complaint for eternity in the dark?

1. profile image0

After death there is eternal dark anyway, whether you like it or not.   There is no way to avoid it.  Yet you will not be aware of the darkness, because you do not exist.   You that exists now benefit from your 5 basic senses which allow you to be aware of light.   When you no longer exist, therefore your senses no longer give input to your person, then there can be no awareness of anything.

1. bBerean profile image60

Jonny,
          Disappearinghead's question I was responding to was a hypothetical regarding the behavior and rationale of God.  My answer addressed that.  Your response to me disregards the premise within which I responded.  Why?

1. profile image0

From your reply to DPH I got the impression you making the presumption that god exists and that there is potential for us to experience eternal light.  If I mistook your meaning, sorry for that.
            My point was that no "light" can exist in eternity, i.e., for ever, for the human being, except if you understand, as I do, that "eternity" is in this moment, in the Now, and not some time in the future, either before or after our bodily death.  My connection with "eternity" is right now, and in this sense "I" can have eternal light....complete awareness.
            I hope this gives you further food for thought.

1. bBerean profile image60

Jonny,

Just to clarify, I am in no way denying my belief in God.  I was just curious what prompted your response since I was in context of the question.  I do understand your perspective.  Thanks.

The turritopsis nutricula species of jellyfish may be the only animal in the world to have truly discovered the fountain of youth. There may be no natural limit to its life span. Scientists say the hydrozoan jellyfish can regenerate its entire body over and over again, it is able to reverse its aging processes ...its 650 million years old, it travels it prays in all oceans and all depth of sea. It weighs up to 450 pounds. The jelly population is many times greater than humans. The man of God is the opposite of a jellyfish in almost every respect. The Religious man claims for each of their own over ego group, eternal life. They assumed a promise wail on earth and they honestly can not know until ones arrives into this great unknown Spiritual world

To decifer and decode Castlepaloma, (if he does not mind:)
                  Religious individuals assume a" promise while on earth."
                  "They honestly can't know (if this promise) will be granted, until the promise arrives, (in this great Spiritual world.)"
                  I interpret this to mean: Religious believers don't know if Jesus will come.

My comment:
                  Maybe they do!
                  He comes every time He is thought of.
                  Every time
                  Thus the promise IS granted...
                  Every time.

I believe political promises more than I do pastor promises for us to arrive to heaven. Or I would have to believe the other 10,000 gods

Concerning "Death:
          We have light bodies that are the blueprints "we take with us" (or that we are) when our physical bodies give out. These blueprints include the light-brain, and light-heart etc. Therefore we are capable of awareness after death and are aware to the extent that we have energy in our higher energy centers. If the energy is in the lower energy centers we mostly sleep after death. Usually about 500 years. (Or less or more...depending on the law of justice) Then, we take on another body according to our desires.
          When we are ready, (readiness happens gradually according to our spiritual progress,) to give up our bodies due to the love and yearning we have for the Reality of God, then we willingly become one with His great Energy. Our little drop of spirit, dissolves into His Ocean of Spirit. The amazing thing is... when we become One with God, we do not loose our sense of Self.
          We embrace cosmic consciousness. It is a matter of focus and desire. It is a matter of conscious will and self-effort. When we make 25% of the effort, Omnipresent Spirit does the rest.
          Jesus does hold the key for spiritual progress.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Also, Mr. Lately, there is another way to sense things besides the 5 senses. Remember the the 6th sense? The intuition!  The more you are able to perceive God directly through the third eye of intuition, (located at the center of the forehead between the eyebrows,) the more you are able to perceive God a f t e r you loose your bod.
          That just makes so much sense to me that I feel like sharing it. If you do not think it makes sense, just never mind. Don't bother to argue with me. It will only hurt my feelings. I am not here to argue.
          Just sharin'.

dear Jonnycomelately,
        There will never be an  e t e r n i t y  in the dark. God loves and forgives us too much for that! He does believe in Justice, however. Justice= Karma according to eastern religions. Jesus said, "The kingdom of heaven (light) is within you. Light is not far away... or only outside of us.
        It is   i n s i d e   and the source of our very being. It is That which Activates our Will.
        Just sharin'.

16. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 11 years ago

Adam and Eve had everything they wanted in the paradise of Eden. They were devoted to God and He provided everything for them. They did not have to grow food or feel cold or heat. They had beautiful bodies and health. They had love in their hearts and an abundance of energy in their bodies. it was centered in the mind and they were very wise, very intelligent and very creative. They were intuitive and were able to sense the thoughts and intentions of each other. They were very innocent, playful and joyful, like children. This was the way God designed them to be. And He warned them: He said, "Do not be tempted to have sex... (They knew what that was because the animals were doing it.) They knew they were not supposed to.  He said, "No no! If you do, you will loose your spiritual, God-given powers. The energy which is now centered in your higher energy centers will drop to lower energy centers and you will thus loose touch your true nature. However, Eve was tempted by her own Ego. (I think it was her lower nature which was inherent in being human, after all, humans are not angels.) She thought to herself, "You know, I am so beautiful, I bet I could get Adam to love me." She lost sight of her own spiritual nature and she forgot about God. The rest is history.

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nope.  The temptation of Adam and Eve wasn't sex.     A reading of Genesis 2: 24 tells us that Adam already knew there would be mothers and fathers on the earth eventually,  and that was before the serpent tempted Eve.   It's logical and quite clear that Adam  knew that he and Eve would be the first set of parents!  ha.

Yes, because they were joining together and creating other beings without sex. They had been given that much creative power. Adam and Eve cannot have been two people only. These names refer to the race of people living as the first race of "perfected" humans in the garden of Eden. How long do you think it took for this race to evolve, considering that its roots were prehistoric cave men????
        A long time.
        I think that light beings somehow infused themselves into this line of evolution.
        Who knows.
        I'm just writing creatively...
        based on surmises... and a life time of thinking and reading about this stuff.
        I enjoy reading other viewpoints.

1. profile image0

Yeah?
          Hmm.
          Well, what did that "joining together" entail, then?  Do ya reckon they just joined their minds together and poof another human was formed?   Or maybe they actually touched.....(Oh God forbid!) .......fingertips together or something?  lol

I have heard that it did happen via touch! But, the love was not infused with sexual desire. The being came out from the side of the woman. The couple could actually agree upon and discuss the characteristics of the desired child. What woman or man does not envision their ideal child before (or after) they conceive? I certainly did. Anyway I did read that ...somewhere, but I have no idea where I got it. It makes sense to me. Thats all.

2. profile image0

Now that I fully respect.  smile

Brenda, why do you finish with "ha?" I am not being a Know it All! I am interested in everyones input!

1. profile image0

I guess because you're trying to combine the Holy Word of God with evolution/cave men theories.
          Like oil and water,  the two don't mix.
          And you've said you're just "writing creatively".
          Don't you mean theorizing based on imagination?

I am not rigid. it's no fun. I have read a lot and I am not afraid to read. After all, the bible makes so little sense if you try to take it literally. Even Jesus had knowledge that the people could not understand at the time, since they had no concept of electromagnetic energy, atoms, molecules, electrons, protons. Science is the product of God and therefore proof of God.
            The two DO mix in my understanding, thank goodness. Otherwise, I would just be an atheist with the best of them.
            How did the cave men fit into all of this, then? I mean there is proof of the existence of prehistoric men through the discoveries of paleontologists!

1. profile image0

I didn't say science and the belief in God don't mix.
              I said the theory of evolution doesn't mix with the word of God.
              What you may not realize is that true science has been hijacked in an attempt to promote evolution,  thus confusing anyone who might otherwise be able to join the two in the proper way.   Included among those so-called facts are some of those so-called findings of paleontologists.

Much of the Bible, in particular Genesis, actually makes perfect sense if it's taken literally.   Humans have human bodies just like Adam and Eve had!    That doesn't require any knowledge of "electromagnetic energy" and such.   It takes only common knowledge to know that a man's body and a woman's body are made to fit together in the act of sex, and that that act can produce a child,  that the woman's mammary glands are made to produce milk to feed that child, etc..............
              I think you're making things way too complicated for yourself in your journey.   But whatever.     I dunno where you're getting your ideas from,  but it would be very informative if you'd read the Bible.........?

Well, I know that you are comfortable accepting what you read. I think that is great. I wish I could.
                BTW Can you explain what I asked blcurry? (scroll down...or refer to Genesis 3 24)
                I would love to be able to understand that passage.

Other questions:
                Does God look just like we do since we were "made in the image of God..."  Do you take that literally?
                Just wondering.

1. profile image0

Comfortable?
                  It's exciting!  The word of God is exciting!  The story of creation is exciting!
                  And as far as "comfortable" about the Bible as a whole,  well........it's not a benign serenity.  Christians see the seriousness of the whole thing.   We are rarely comfortable about a world that's lost in sin!   Our only comfort is that God provided the Way for us and everyone else to escape the eternal punishment for our sins.   We have that assurance.   Anyone, including you, can have that assurance.

Genesis 3: 24?
                  I believe God literally placed literal Cherubim and/or with a flaming sword to guard the Garden,  specifically as it says to guard the tree of life.   Adam and Eve had access to the tree of life literally, before they were banned from the Garden.   They could've literally reached out and taken the fruit of it and eaten it and lived forever, literally.    They didn't.   They instead took of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.   I dunno why, except that the serpent tempted them to eat of the tree of knowledge first.   Such are his wiles.    Sly subtle one he was and is.   He's still doing it to many today,  symbolically/spiritually, and they take the bait.

As far as why in the east....
                  Jesus is spiritually the Tree of Life.   He was born in the east,  and will return in the east, according to the Bible.   I see the placement of the sword guarding the east as this-------mankind can no longer literally reach out and partake of the tree of life,  but they can reach out and receive the Tree of Life (Jesus) if they repent & acknowledge Him as Lord and Savior.    After the fall in the Garden,  no longer would spiritual Life be given to mankind effortlessly;  it will be offered them, and they must make the choice to accept it or reject it,  giving them/us the opportunity to live forever Spiritually although not literally/physically.

2. profile image0

Honestly,  I dunno how God looks!
                  The Bible says He is Spirit.
                  So....I don't think He has a body that looks like a human, no.   Although He did put His Spirit in a human body when the Holy Ghost placed Jesus inside Mary.  So, for a while, God walked this earth in a human body.
                  I think the way that we're made in His image is that we're made with the capability of communing with Him.   Part of our makeup is spiritual.   As in.......we're different from the animals.   We're given a conscience that's capable of discerning right from wrong, not just basic animal instinct,  so we have many of the attributes that God has and are similar to Him in those ways.

1. profile image0
                    riddle666posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Animals also know right from wrong.
                    Image: A reproduction of the form of a person or object, especially a sculptured likeness.
                    One that closely or exactly resembles another;
                    So what has communication got to do with image?

So our essence is the same right? if we were made in the image of God we are essentially spirit.
                    Can You explain what Jesus meant by, "if thine eye be single thy whole body will be full of light?"
                    And what did He mean by "The kingdom of heaven is within?"
                    Also Brenda... is it possible that we are casting pearls before swine, "lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you? "Matthew 7 6
                    PS the last thing I want to do is argue or talk anyone out of their beliefs. I  am trying to get enlightened. Maybe you are right and I am trying too hard.

2. blcurry profile image60
      blcurryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@ Kathryn...  I read a different account.  Here's the one I read:
      Genesis 3:1-7,

"Now the serpent was more cunning than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said to the woman, “Has God indeed said, ‘You shall not eat of every tree of the garden’?”

2 And the woman said to the serpent, “We may eat the fruit of the trees of the garden; 3 but of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God has said, ‘You shall not eat it, nor shall you touch it, lest you die.’”

4 Then the serpent said to the woman, “You will not surely die. 5 For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

6 So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree desirable to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate. She also gave to her husband with her, and he ate. 7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves coverings."

1 John 2:16 says,

"For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world. 17 And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever."

And the rest is history................

What about that shining sword guarding the way located in the east of Eden? What could that mean?
        BTW Your story is the same one I told! The tree in the "midst' of the garden refers to the sense of sexual sensations, (the sixth of the five other senses including sight, touch, hearing, taste and smell.) The story of Adam and Eve is based on the SCIENCE which lies behind all religions.)

1. blcurry profile image60
          blcurryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I thought 1 John 2:16, explained the science of it......sorry....

Dear Blcurry,
            I think John 2:16 does explain the science of all religions... For sure!

PS Do You have an answer to the following questions?
            1.What is the shining or flaming sword in Genesis 3 24:
            "After He drove the man out he placed on the east side of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life."
            2. What does the "tree of life" refer to?
            What is the purpose of the mentioned "cherubim"...(an angel of the highest order.)
            3. Why was it placed in "the east?"
            4. Why not the west?
            5. Why was the way "guarded?"

2. profile image0

Kathryn, Science requires a proposition, first (a hypothesis).  Then experiment(s) to establish proof or otherwise.  And all experiments must be repeatable; the results and conclusions must be established beyond reasonable doubt.
          All that you have stated is belief.   Which of course your are entitled to, and that is respected.
          But it ain't science!

3. profile image0

I didn't know we could just make up our own scripture and try to sell it to others. Cool, I'll give it a try.

1. profile image0

Rad, Did you read My story of Adam and Eve?

1. profile image0

Of course I did. Did you?

1. profile image0

Yes I did.. I also said that I didn't believe the story.

1. profile image0

Oh, okay, I don't either, I just found her version so vastly different then the one I read that I thought perhaps we can just make our own scripture up.

1. profile image0

No. The version that I and Blcurry gave came directly from the book of Genesis in the Bible. I have no idea whatsoever where her version came from, but she did mention in another post that she likes creatively writing.

My story is  b a s e d  on the story in Genesis. It is also based on the reality of the energy centers (chakras) that exist up and down the spine in the human form. It was used to show Rad Man how God did not make us weaker. We did.
              Just sharing my chosen point of view. And since I can't go back in time to prove it ...Oh Well, good enough for me.

4. Chris Neal profile image78

Is that in the original Hebrew? Because my Interlinear doesn't say that.

Explanations written in between the text. What Bible is that? You are lucky to have that version! Indeed, you should be able to help us out! Where have you been!

Busy.

An InterLinear has the original Hebrew and Greek. It's the Textus Receptus, so there's a bit of controversy there, but it's still useful.

17. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

I really think the bible, and everything the bible discusses, is   b a s e d   on provable science. (And what was written in the bible can't always be taken literally. Sometimes, yes. It is a matter of discrimination.)
    It is all  b a s e d  on the truth and scientific proof of the existence of God. For instance, Jesus came and left, but where did he come from... where did he go and  W h a t  came and went?
    I want to know  w h a t  is behind the human
                                                           w i l l ?
    I think it is absolutely knowable!
    1. I hypothesize that I exist.
    2. I experiment: I pinch myself and I feel my pinch.
    3. I conclude: I exist.
    4. After repeating steps 1, 2 and 3, the results are the same.
    My conclusion is this: I have a body. But there is something behind the body. It is mySelf. I close my eyes and sense that I am the force of my  o w n  willpower. That willpower is invisible, therefore the essence of myself is invisible. (As God is.) logical conclusion.

In John2:16 the will of God is love.
      Love is beyond belief. It is a provable force.
      How?
      Because I feel love.

Q. How can the belief in God cause more problems that it has solved?
      A. Because God is not understood (or inwardly perceived) to be the (invisible) force of Love and Wisdom which is in all of us.

1. profile image0

Because it gives you the presumption that you have got it right, and everyone else who does not believe as you do has got it wrong.

Simple as that!

Kathryn, all that you have presented here as "proof" is only as good as it convinces you, yourself, that what you believe is right.  It just is NOT proof to everyone, without question.

I have said, time after time, that what you believe for yourself is fully respected.  I am not trying to change you to being atheist, to agree with my understanding of things.  I can live with yours and the religious understandings of others, provided you allow me my freedom to reason as I see fit.

Where religious people have not allowed that freedom, down through the ages, you (yes You) have been the cause of conflict.

So, believe what you wish to believe.  Have the moral strength to understand you do not have to proselytize  everyone else in order to make your own beliefs valid.

I was an atheist for awhile. I do not argue with you. My only intent is to share.
          When I was an atheist I never felt I could NOT be an atheist!  No one had any influence on me what-so-ever... why do you feel an influence?  I  have never claimed to have The answer. ( I do like creative writing, but my writing is based on sources other than the bible. Who knows if those other sources are true or not. But, of course, I have been convinced they are true according to my level of awareness. (No comments, please) I do not expect others to accept them without conferring with themselves.  After all, it is "a given"  that only one's   S e l f   can determine the validity of anything one hears or reads. That's why Jesus would add, " He who has ears to hear," after his spiritual teachings and discussions.) So, in all actuality, all anyone can do is
                                                           s h a r e.
          Just like Christians. I think they are just trying to share, but others perceive some sort of tyranny.
          Q.Why?

BTW
          I totally respect that HubPages encourages friendly discussions and not tyrannical and argumentative preaching. I got kicked off for 17 hours for  emotionally over-reacting on my keyboard... I learned my lesson. Thanks HP

2. profile image0

What you have described here is more reflective of the Organized definition dealing with the belief in God A.K.A the mob mentality. If you look at the definition of religion, the first definition of the word is actually more on an individualized idea of the concept. There are those (such as myself) who have simply come to conclusion based on information and have decided that it's what works best for them. They don't know if they are correct or not and don't see their views as better than anyone else's. I have a lot of respect for atheists and how passionate and concise their views are. That is what works best for you and your life choice. At the end of the day, I can recognize that even though we have differing points of view, we all still strive to do the right thing in our lives.

It seems you mean "mob mentality" in a demeaning way. But, If the mob devotes itself to God, (through the freewill devotion of each member,) the mob would certainly be blessed.
            Just sharin'.

1. profile image0

I don't mean it to be demeaning. Even if a group is devoted to God then they are still fundamentally Good people. But then again, If a group believes an incorrect principle they are still Good, Just operating under a lack of understanding. A Vast majority of Christians follow the bible exactly as it was written word for word with a mutually agreed upon interpretation of the information that is presented. The issue with this idea is that there are some parts of the bible that aren't supposed to be taken literally

Dear Deepes Mind,
                I agree with you. The problem is when they expect the rest of the world to go along with what they believe...blindly, without question, without personal motivation,  personal agreement, acceptance and understanding.
                Blind Obedience is never a good thing.
                Ever.
                We would all get along just fine if we realize that:
                Free-will existing in the world is a given.
                Love existing in the in the world is a given.
                Respecting the free-will and love naturally inherent in others will cut down on the   p r o b l e m s    created by the
                belief in God.
                (In my opinion.)

18. profile image0

Hub won't let me quote right now, but that was actually the answer I was looking for Rad Man. Now let me push that thought. you said that this is a way to teach that behavior is unacceptable, but what happens if time out doesn't work because this isn't how they learn? Adults have committed crimes, been given a "time out" gotten out and went right back to committing crimes. This is an example of what I meant by the flaw in the Golden rule being that it is taken literally. It often tries to apply a blanket concept to a specific individual end. But a blanket only can cover so much. What happens to those who are outside of the blanket's reach?

1. profile image0

They hopefully eventually get locked up for life. That is a fair treatment for someone who is a danger to society.

1. profile image0

Taking the prison reference out of it.. Think of any situation where someone takes a blanket approach to teaching anything. what happens to those who fall outside of that blanket?

1. profile image0

I do know that as a parent all children learn differently. In terms of behaviour though adults have to be smarter then the children and have to be able to do the work. Spanking is easy, but it doesn't work. A child who is hit learns two things.
          1. That behaviour causes pain if I get caught.
          2. When you want others to do as you want them to hit them.

This I've seen with my own eyes.

1. profile image0

True and excellent points. I believe spanking as a discipline is a widely misused tool of correction. People take the statement of spare the rod,spoil the child and the scripture of "foolishness rests in the heart of a child, but the rod of correction casts it out"

1. profile image0

More examples of scripture that was clearly written by mere people. A loving God or any God for that matter would have known better.

1. profile image0

Right. It's like the three original versions never existed

2. Dannytaylor02 profile image71
                Dannytaylor02posted 11 years agoin reply to this

rod of correction not being a literal rod....

1. profile image0

It's interesting when people re-interprete the bible to their own liking.

Try it... you'll like it!

2. Dannytaylor02 profile image71

its not re interpetation its the original one mate

That passage is an example of what not to take literally. "Rod of correction" is not to be taken as hitting. It is to be taken as verbal instruction and focus on what is right. We must set boundaries by good instruction and example.
              Just sharin'.

I would say, it isn 't the belief in God that causes more problems than it solves, but the multitude of differing concepts and interpretations of God
            (and the insistence of how Others should behave and believe.)
            Actually, after looking quickly through the books of the NT which come after the four gospels, (after Jesus ascended to heaven to be at the right hand of God,) it seems that the precepts of Christianity are evolving and aren't based on rigid doctrine at all. Christianity and all religions can be based on the essence of Jesus teachings which seems to loving God (with spirit/heart, mind and body,) Ourselves, Our children, and our Neighbors.
            Therefore, the belief in God could help all people of all religions and all nations solve their problems.  I believe Jesus did come, as he claimed he did,  "with a sword" for fighting all that comes from negativity: depression, hatred, anger, unhappiness, possessiveness, restlessness, anxiety, fear, greed, pride arrogance, etc.

Hub won't let you quote right now? Really??? Why not?

Dear Deepes Mind,
      Who is,  specifically, "outside the  blanket?" What is your message here?

1. profile image0

When I mean someone is outside the blanket, I mean simply someone that may not be able to grasp the concepts that are generally applied to the majority. For instance a teacher trying to teach a class full of students the same exact lesson but one student is dyslexic. That dyslexic student would be considered "outside the blannket" because he or she doesn't learn the same as the rest of the students

Oh. So we need to take the person we are correcting into consideration. I agree. Individualized instruction and correction is best.

1. profile image0

exactly. This is the true meaning of the golden rule. We treat others as according to their values as we want them to treat us according to our own. But the flaw is that we treat others as according to our own values instead of their own

1. profile image0

So, Kathryn, I take that to mean:  "Only if I ask for it."   Otherwise accept me 'just as I am,' without wishing or trying to change me, or my opinion, or address a need which you perceive within me.  Of course, I must return similar respect and forbearance towards you.

1. profile image0

You hit it on the head! I personally (as a Christian) enjoy having a discussion and sharing my personal views with all people, but it is not my intention to try to force my beliefs on others to change them to my way of thinking. This isn't what God wanted us to do. God wants us to spread his word to others and let them make up their own mind. Whether any of the atheists change their minds or not, I still did what I was called to do which is share the information. I still respect all people and do not have a "heaven" or a "hell" so to speak to place them in.

Thanks, Jonny C.L.

Yes, I agree with that, Deepes M. Jesus would add "He who has the ears to hear (the willingness), let him hear."

So, in these forums, whoever has the eyes to read, (willingness) let them read.
              If Not... Off with their heads!
              Just kidding.

19. Dannytaylor02 profile image71
    Dannytaylor02posted 11 years ago

Hitler was a firm advocate of Evolution, is it fair to say that Evolution was the cause of all of the horrible things that he did?

1. profile image0

What kind of question is that? Here is another ridiculous question.

Hitler was a firm advocate of Christianity, is it fair to say that Christianity was the cause of all the horrible things that he did?

The Old, Hitler is not Christian routine, so he must be an atheist

Hitler was born and died a Catholic and his aim was to  stamp out gays, Jews and atheists as 20 million Russian were killed at war with Germany.

Too bad 90% of people in this World believe evolution exist, try calling them , all horrible.

1. profile image0

So you're agreeing with me?

yep

Hitler wanted to be as powerful as possible, to establish what HE wanted!   That speed-addicted jerk was on the power trip of ten millenniums. Was any one in   h i s t o r y   as self-deluded and selfish as he?  Did the people in those days think HE was the anti-christ? if he wasn't that, will the prophesied anti-christ be like him, or worse? (Atheists, never mind.)
          Just wonderin'

3. Chris Neal profile image78

If you know anything about Hitler you know it's ridiculous to say that his aims were a result of his supposed Catholocism. I've always said Hitler was no Christian but I've NEVER said he was an atheist. History is a little more complex than most people want to make it, but one simple fact remains, Hitler hated, hated, hated Christianity and was actively implementing legislation to physically destroy churches at the end of the war.

Hitler ler ended up hating everything, including himself, when he shot himself.

He killed himself in an underground bunker in Berlin. Once Soviet troops had occupied most of Germany, they attacked the capital, Berlin. Hitler shot himself in the head once he knew that his only other choice was to be captured by those atheist.

Granted, but that doesn't change what I said. He wasn't an atheist, he just wasn't a Christian. And his hatred of Christianity predates the end by a good number of years, possibly decades. So saying he wound up hating everything, which may or may not be true (I don't know) doesn't alter what I said at all.

Hitler used Christianity as tool as much as USA presidents use it as a tool to get elected too. Hitler shot himself, call it an extreme lack of love then.

Okay, I can deal with that.

20. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Scrap.

Atheists don't believe in biblical prophesies.

BTW I did not mean that Hitler was an atheist. I just meant that Atheists cannot possibly have an opinion on whether Hitler was\has anything to do with being (either in the past or future), the antichrist, due to the fact that they do not believe in biblical teachings, or prophesies.

Satan believes in God, atheist do not believe in God, yet have more religious knowledge then the religious
          Who is more the antichrist... Oprah?

1. profile image0

Why would you say Atheist can't have an opinion on Hitler's beliefs? We are aloud to have opinions on anything including Hitler's religious beliefs. Just because we don't believe something doesn't mean we have no opinion on it.

My opinion about myself is the most important opinion in the world. Why not, it's my opinion everyone are God also. Make an honest opinion about a Religion or even a sect of a Religion, their judgment call could turn you into an atheist, or worst an antichrist. People like Hitler, needs more love then anyone. They should have treated him in a mental illness hospital rather than allowing him to harm others. I so glad the average person today is smarter than Hitler or Moses or Adam.

1. profile image0

Hitler was obviously a very smart man, that's what made him dangerous.

Smart is not the best word, Hitler was cunning, showing the skills in achieving one's ends by deceit or evasion.

Hitler was a sly, crafty, clever and shrewd man . The Medical professional founded a new mental illness called megalomania from him. Megalomania is where the Universe revolves around yourself or the screaming me me’s. My ex wife had it and WG Bush

Intelligence would a far moral or ethics base to it than being cunning or a megalomania

1. profile image0

Hitler was so un-smart that he countermanded the advice of his Generals.   If he had heeded their advice insead, or if the people who tried to assassinate him had been successful, the Nazis would have won the war and we would all be speaking a different language.

Just as well for us all that he was so silly.

Every race has had their turn at ruling the world throughout mankind history
                      GENGHIS KHAN /ALEXANDER THE GREAT and now American rich.

They have all tried and they have all failed in time because the true rulers are the 80% of the conscious of the people, who always change things for the better, after massive abuse has been done.

When I was growing up the received wisdom on Hitler was that he was some kind of genius. That's since been revised but it's a mistake to dismiss him. He was definitely a megalomaniac and like many arrogant people he assumed he knew better than anyone else, but remember that he did bring about the death camps, the kristallnacht, a war that in the early days made Germany look unstoppable.

Yeah, too bad he was so silly. So much blood spilled.

On what basis do you make any of those statements? The average person today may have access to information that they didn't have, but it's a bit arrogant to assume that we're in any way smarter than they were. Hitler did some pretty big things that the "average person today" can't or won't. Yet he wasn't as smart as we are?

And why do people insist Hitler was insane? Isn't it possible that he was truly evil, but that he knew right from wrong (the legal definition of insanity) and decided not to go by society's definition?

I agree.
                  He should have been labeled for what he was.
                  Is evil So Hard to recognize????

2. profile image0
      Lybrahposted 11 years ago

As Christians, it is our responsibility to warm people of eternal damnation.

Really? Why is that? Do you tell little children they will be eternally damned if they put up Christmas trees or suffer sorceresses and homosexuals to live?

2. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Is it then OK for me to make up my own story and declare that i have a responsibility to tell you about it every day or so?  To demand that I teach it to your children, and put it's icons on our money? 

If that is not OK, how do you reconcile your actions with the golden rule or does that apply to everyone except Chritians?

3. JMcFarland profile image69
        JMcFarlandposted 11 years agoin reply to this

and as an atheist, it is my job to love people for who they are - exactly who they are - without demanding that they submit to an imaginary evil dictator who would torture 2/3 of the population for eternity

1. profile image0

I love it when Christians make claims that they are not used to seeing any objections to within their peers in these forums. They clearly have no idea how ridiculous there statements are.

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Yes it is, Lybrah.  How about earthly hell?

1. profile image0

"Earthly Hell" would be if born-agains finally took charge in the United States.  It would be like an anti-christ leading an anti-world war to hell. 

Basic intelligence would have gone finally to the wall.

It might even happen.... but most likely not in my life time, at least I truly hope not.

1. profile image0
            Emile Rposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I see an earthly hell as any group forcing their personal belief on the masses. Be it religious, atheist or anything in between..   The loss of freedom of conscience would be devastating.

Furthermore, earthly hell would be the loss of any hope in the ability to fulfill
                                                                   p e r s o n a l                                           
                                            hopes, dreams and decent ambitions
                                                                          for
                                                                         every
                                                                 I n d i v i d u a l.
              (Within the boundaries of the ten commandments, and the golden rule, of course.)

Why not within the boundaries of being honest and not harming, the first four commandments, throw them out to start with

2. profile image0

Oh!!  NOW who is being safe in what they write, Kathryn?   Who is giving lip-service to freedom, yet limiting that "freedom" to only the few?   Contradictions!   When you personally are strictly, unerringly following each and every one of the Ten Commandments, and applying that Golden Rule strictly, unerringly, in your own life, then you come back and start preaching it.

Don't give me that rubbish about "Jesus" saving you when you err.   That is a convenient cop-out used by hypocrites. 

It sounds to me like you are constructing your own religion, to suit yourself; using your own interpretations of the interpretations of others, just so it will fit your own ideas.  Of course, when you get other people supporting what you say, that gives you false assurance.   

You lose credibility in my estimation.

Let me make it perfectly clear:
                  I do not restrict freedom to the few!
                  What few are you referring to? I wasn't referring to the few
                  at all.
                  BTW If I ever had credibility any, I am quite surprised! 
                  I do not care about credibility, obviously the way I write. LOL
                                             Take it, leave it...
                  I certainly could care less.
                  You'll figure it out. I have faith in that.

1. profile image0

Perhaps you're not aware of the contradictions in your previous statement that Jonny is referring to?

Essentially you said freedom for all, unless your not Christian.

All religions and all people can   i n c o r p o r a t e   the (true) teachings of Jesus. As soon as they do there will be peace. They don't have to give up their traditions or styles of worship.
                      It makes sense to me.

5. getitrite profile image72

Exactly the same as Chicken Little, I suppose.

"The world is going to end... aughhhhhhhhh!"
                              vs
                  Look out, earthly hell is inevitable,           

1.  When the majority of people in a republic allow themselves to do as they please without considering the wellbeing of others.
          2. When a democratic government in a republic is allowed, by the people, to take away their Life, Liberty and Ability to live in personal pursuit of their own, (and their loved ones',) happiness.
          (bottom line being the ability to  s u r v i v e.)
          BTW There IS such a thing as abuse of freedom. Some people have to spend some time in jail...of one type or another... depending on the crime.
          It is always important that we do not put ourselves in a jail of your own making by not discerning what the Truth is (and what the half steps are leading up to.)

Checked about 5 world's happiest countries sites

Happiness generally means food to eat, being healthy, having enough money and good times with family and friends. A good home, clothing, ...

Latin and northern Europe countries were most ranked in the top 10,

USA ranked from 12th to 42nd happiest country

Happiness comes when the pursuit of it is   a l l o w e d.  Were any of those countries entirely socialistic or communistic?

1. profile image0

Why would you assume that they would be socialist or communist? They of course are not, but the fact remains that the U.S. is far down the list.

Rad Man, Why are the socialist or communist countries NOT on that list? and you mentioned, "they of course are not,"
                  Why not?

1. JMcFarland profile image69

I don't think you know much about Satanists.  They don't actually worship the devil.  They're anarchists.

Oh. Thanks for the info.

They actually worship themselves. I did not see anything about a belief in anarchy when I peeked into a Satan Site.

I just went to the Church of Satanism site: I discovered that they worship Themselves. I did not read anything about the belief in Anarchy.

I have to answer myself. Socialist and communist countries are not happy nations because the people are not allowed the  f r e e d o m  to pursue happiness.

(BTW to answer Mr. Radman: We were a pretty happy country during the late 50's and 60's. Some say this was our Golden Age. There was less regulation of business and commerce, less money printing and less vote-buying political agendas and policies.)

Some think we are not headed toward socialism today.
                    However, what if Obamacare eventually puts people in FEMA camps when they don't buy insurance, and can't pay the subsequent fines/income tax...  (Not to mention that there are 3000 pages of regulations for every type of business in the country indicating, "YOU SHALL" )....can we pursue happiness living in, or God forbid, locked up in FederalEmergencyManagementAgency camps? NO!

Belief in God helps us avoid socialistic campaigns and helps us recognize evil when we see it.
                                                                           Evil vs livE. 
                    What do we choose?

1. profile image0

Kathryn, who exactly brain-washed you?  Was it a right-wing politician or evangelist?   Could be both, of course, but it does not sound like it was a socialist or atheist.   smile

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
                      SomewayOuttaHereposted 11 years agoin reply to this

wow!  how the hell did God just get tied into Obama, obamacare or taxes?  wtf?  i just don't get it....Evil vs Live....whateva!?  I choose Evil I guess...whateva!....where's the luv? don't the 'true' teachings encourgage sumthin about luvin each other etc etc etc......the post seems to spew some crap that makes absolutely no spiritual sense at all.............rather the post encourages a negative response that doesn't fit within the 'true' teachings based on a skewed, screwed up interpretation that pulls in personal political beliefs...yuk!

3. profile image0

In Canada where the banks are regulated more and better then in the U.S. the banks were unaffected by the credit crunch. Greed is what caused the credit crunch and because banks are publicly traded companies they behave like social paths and making money in number one. Having a few rules in place makes everyone happier. Canada is also ahead of the U.S. on the happy scale with all it's regulations and universal health care.

3. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 11 years ago

Got to say it is extremely funny watching a couple of religionists arguing over "proof." lol

Thanks for validating the OP. wink

No, I am providing proof.
        Also, I am just sharing, not arguing.
        I guess I'll stop trying to show you there is proof of reincarnation in the NT.
        Who am I anyway?
        Peace.

OK - sharing - not arguing. lol

Thanks for validating the OP. I think you might want to consider a different dictionary though.

O.K.

I like to exchange Ideas.

It is the nature of a Forum: Discussing, offering and sharing (exchanging) differing viewpoints.

4. profile image0
      Beth37posted 11 years ago

is there a way to stop getting notifications of specific threads?

1. profile image0

unfollow the thread and anyone that posts to the thread

1. profile image0
          Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

haha, yeah... that's what I'd like to do. How do you do that?

1. profile image0

When you see the thread on the main page, You should see a green button that will say unfollow. click it. for the people, you have to go to their page directly and unfollow them

5. taburkett profile image58
      taburkettposted 11 years ago

detrimental human emotional expressions create a false jealously where irrational people attack others for their belief in the existence of God.  Man is a sinner by nature and so will always sin - small and large based on their fanatical emotions concerning God.  The path to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness is based on moral principles being employed by all individuals in society.  However, through both mental and physical abuse of others the differing cultures of the world continue to battle each other for the power to rule.  This is nothing more than immoral lust of the worst kind.  Currently this immoral lust is being orchestrated by all nations as they struggle through the economic woes created by evil people roaming the earth.  The belief in God has not caused more problems, but the mental and physical attack on those who believe in God has.  This is due to those who wish to destroy the moral society so they may rule over the masses.  God has predicted that when the world is ruled by the immoral, it will be destroyed.  Our current society is more immoral than at any time previous, so the path is being taken today. 

Do you take that evil destructive path or do you try to correct the path of destruction?

Thanks for your common-sense input.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59

Can you back this if with facts or do we just have to take your word for it?

Would correcting the path of destruction and sin involve construction through morality and values?
          I think so.
          The fact is, God gives us morals and values. (Because God loves us.)
          But, no one can be or is forced to accept this Love. (And this is one of the reasons God is invisible. Just a thought.)

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
            MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow... you in no way answered his question.  Your answer isn't even VAGUELY related.

That's awesome.

I was answering the question taburkett had asked at the end of his post.
                what would you answer as far as HIS last question?

Let's let him answer for himself, as far as my answer! (and I hope you will, Mr. Taburkett)

Well I suppose I would answer his question.

Do you have any proof that "Our current society is more immoral than at any time previous"?

Before you answer though...  Think about it really really hard.

Remember that we don't stone women or own slaves.  Remember that sisters marrying brothers is illegal... as is fathers having children with their own daughters.

Remember that people aren't being beaten to death for minor crimes for the entertainment of the masses...

He's going to bring all of this up and more.  He's going to quote specific verses from the bible that- if you are a literalist- that society was much more immoral... and it was often condoned and/or encouraged by the holy men in the bible.

It's going to end badly for you... but I doubt you'll acknowledge it.  He is going to be completely right.  Instead you are going to likely quote some verses out of context... ignore everything factual he says... and do everything in your power to make the rest of Christians look like... well... you.

If you had a stronger faith you would have a more open mind.  Defensiveness and denying the obvious are tools of those who know their position is weak.

Dear Ms. Barrett,
                  Huh? What is your true complaint with me? How do I show a weakness in faith? How do I show defensiveness? How do I deny the obvious? How do you think I am getting it wrong? I am an unusual Christian.(some...most... would say not even.) I believe that east, west and all religions come together and lead to the same place.
                  Heaven is within.
                  aum, peace, amen.
                  PS I am really curious as to why you are so agitated by "people like me!" I think you are jumping to unfounded conclusions. I never said anything bad was going to happen. I am revealing the way to insure freedom!
                  Thats all.
                  Freedom and discipline (boundaries) are the two sides of the same coin.
                  What is there to be afraid of?
                  Today our leaders are not following the boundaries set forth in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution.
                  These documents set forth proper boundaries to safeguard us from too much government interference. We are allowing our government to get away with breaking boundaries. (Allowing the Federal reserve to overprint money is just one example.) I am not talking so much about individuals. (Although the loss of morals was one of the causes of the fall of the Roman empire.)

1. profile image0

Simply - your mentality, Kathryn.

(I really regret using my real name.)

Dear jonnycomelately,
                      What is your problem with my mentality? Could you explain -very specifically- so "people like me" will know?"
                      signed,
                      Wouldnever HurtaFly.

2. taburkett profile image58
                  taburkettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Many Americans are slaves to the government.
                  Many Americans are slaves to material objects.
                  Many Americans blame others for their own failures.
                  Many Americans believe that it is someone elses responsibility to provide for them.
                  Many Americans choose to restrict others because they want to justify their immoral and evil ways.
                  Many Americans wish to give up their God given right to freedom.
                  Many Americans do not follow the moral principles of society.
                  Many Americans have expressed hero worship of the nations leadership.
                  More than 51% believe it is right to murder a life through abortion.

You think that:

All this is worse than fathering children on their own daughters?

All this is worse than being put in chains and beaten?

All this is worse than being stoned to death?

All this is worse than being dismembered on a rack?

All this is worse than being burned because you don't believe in a certain religion?

And yet you expect me to believe in your definition of morals?

Wow.

2. profile image0

Many Americans are slaves to self-righteousness.

Many Americans do not understand the truth of what Mr.Taburkett speaks.
                    But they could, if they become aware of their true selves and how much God loves them. That's why God gave us this Country through the founding fathers. Read their quotes from:
                    http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes

1. profile image0

Thanks for that Kathryn, the first quote that appealed to me was this:

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me'.
                      Erma Bombeck"

I will not  be standing before anyone, but you might find this useful.  smile

3. taburkett profile image58

Yes - I have proof that the society is more immoral today than at any other time.

1) 870 million people in the world do not have enough to eat.    (Source:State of Food Insecurity in the World,FAO, 2012)

2) The vast majority of hungry people (98 percent) live in developing countries, where almost 15% of the population is undernourished.
                    (Source:State of Food Insecurity in the World,FAO, 2012)

1. profile image0

Now please compare that with something in the past. And then tell us what your doing to help the starving?

It was indeed worse...just before Jesus came.

6. taburkett profile image58

you will find all answers at:

http://www.aynrand.org/site/PageServer? … man_rights

“Rights” are a moral concept—the concept that provides a logical transition from the principles guiding an individual’s actions to the principles guiding his relationship with others—the concept that preserves and protects individual morality in a social context—the link between the moral code of a man and the legal code of a society, between ethics and politics. Individual rights are the means of subordinating society to moral law.
      The most profoundly revolutionary achievement of the United States of America was the subordination of society to moral law.

The principle of man’s individual rights represented the extension of morality into the social system—as a limitation on the power of the state, as man’s protection against the brute force of the collective, as the subordination of might to right. The United States was the first moral society in history.
      The concept of a “right” pertains only to action—specifically, to freedom of action. It means freedom from physical compulsion, coercion or interference by other men.

Thus, for every individual, a right is the moral sanction of a positive—of his freedom to act on his own judgment, for his own goals, by his own voluntary, uncoerced choice. As to his neighbors, his rights impose no obligations on them except of a negative kind: to abstain from violating his rights.
      The concept of individual rights is so new in human history that most men have not grasped it fully to this day. In accordance with the two theories of ethics, the mystical or the social, some men assert that rights are a gift of God—others, that rights are a gift of society. But, in fact, the source of rights is man’s nature.
      To violate man’s rights means to compel him to act against his own judgment, or to expropriate his values. Basically, there is only one way to do it: by the use of physical force. There are two potential violators of man’s rights: the criminals and the government. The great achievement of the United States was to draw a distinction between these two—by forbidding to the second the legalized version of the activities of the first.
      Thus the government’s function was changed from the role of ruler to the role of servant. The government was set to protect man from criminals—and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government. The Bill of Rights was not directed against private citizens, but against the government—as an explicit declaration that individual rights supersede any public or social power.
      A collectivist tyranny dare not enslave a country by an outright confiscation of its values, material or moral. It has to be done by a process of internal corruption. Just as in the material realm the plundering of a country’s wealth is accomplished by inflating the currency—so today one may witness the process of inflation being applied to the realm of rights. The process entails such a growth of newly promulgated “rights” that people do not notice the fact that the meaning of the concept is being reversed. Just as bad money drives out good money, so these “printing-press rights” negate authentic rights.

Therefore - USA is more immoral today.

This is an example of what a truly "awesome" post is.
        Thank You, very much, Mr. Taburkett, for returning and clarifying.
        And correcting me. smile

2. profile image0

Taburkett, you state in your profile that you are:  ".....a defender of individual rights,"  against interference by any government or political association.

My bigger question of you is how do you defend MY individual rights?  I am not christian.  I am not heterosexual in my preference.  I am not capitalist in my politics.   Are you willing to allow me my total freedom to enjoy my life as I see fit, providing I do not infringe upon the freedom of yourself and anyone else?

OR - will you insist that I need to be christian; need to be heterosexual; need to be capitalist?

I am just hoping you have not been copying and pasting the writings of others as empty words.

Your question, " My bigger question of you is how do you defend MY individual rights?" is not a bigger question at all. It is a smaller one.( I guess not in your mind. he he.)

No one is insisting that you not follow the guidance of your own self. We have freedom in America to follow any religion we want. We have freedom to be transgender if we so choose. If anyone wants to live under a communist or socialist regime, there is certainly no one preventing anyone from moving to a communist or socialistic country. Just go there.
          But, you don't live in USA according to a post of yours in this forum, anyway, so what the heck are you complaining about?
          ??
          Why so bitter?

1. profile image0

Not bitter at all Kathryn.   The United States of America says it has these in-built freedoms within it's constitution.... so you say.    But I ask you the same questions as I asked Taburkett.... would you, as a christian person, be able to live beside me as a  neighbour?   

I am free to comment in this Hub as you are.   There are no national boundaries here in the Internet.

Hell... I've got a couple spare bedrooms...  When should I expect you?

1. profile image0

A lot of my time is spent talking about and setting up composting loos for people.  It can make an interesting chat subject at dinner table, but heck! someone has to do the shitty jobs around town!

So if I can be of any help in that area, just invite me!  lol

(You began with the word Hell.   Is that the address?)

Big hug to you Melissa.

LMAO... you probably would do well financially around here.  Is the address in Hell?  Hmmm...  Rural WV...  In some ways it's the Armpit of America.  In other ways it's one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

So... likely not Hell... maybe purgatory.

1. profile image0
                    Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

@ Mr. Lately:
              "Many Americans are slaves to Self righteousness."
              Thanks for Nothing.

I could live next to you as long as the fence is high.

1. profile image0

Kathryn, I have looked into that brainquotes site, and at some of the quotes, not so much from the "Founding Fathers" per see, but from Republican Party members.   It seems to me they are concentrated on selfishness and nothing else.  I don't see anything resembling self-less-ness.

Do you think that could be part of the reason for the evil which you perceive happening in the USA?

Incidentally, even if there was no fence at all between you and me, you would be in absolutely no danger from me or my activities.  Honest. Trust me.

I couldn't live next to ANYONE without a high enough fence! Don't take it personally.

That might be hard for you... (to not take it personally.)

1. profile image0

No off-fence.

smile

I have accepted the purest belief of Christianity.
          For me - this means that others may choose to be sinners under the rules and principles outlined by God.
          I understand that I cannot save someone else; because, everyone must save themselves.
          God has proclaimed that it is a personal choice.
          I live a Godly life; because through it I live a fruitful righteous life filled with much love and great happiness.
          Through my personal efforts I have abundance with God's favor to take care of many who cannot take care of themselves.
          People seek me because I live through God's teachings.
          Those who wish to remain evil do not normally stay around me long because they do not feel comfortable around a person of God.
          Those who see my life of health and wealth learn to live through the same principles and rules that God has proclaimed.
          I protect those who cannot protect themselves - this includes everyone's freedom to choose.
          When you walk the path of truth, you are not required to remember the false teachings you may have quoted.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7611460_f248.jpg

1. profile image0

Thank you for protecting my freedom to choose.   That means if I lived as your neighbour in the same street, you would protect me from the anti-gay bashers.   

However, if all your righteousness means you are likely to be sitting on the right hand of your god when my time comes to leave this planet, I will ask for a different drafting - I could not live with you in the room for eternity.  Hell would be much more to my liking.

Thank you again.

1. profile image0

You know, jonny, I've seen a lot of you in these forums, and we've interacted on occasion.  I believe in God and Jesus and live my life to the best of my ability in a way that shows that.  If you want my personal opinion, if what I believe is true and if what I have come to know of my God is true, then you will share a heaven with me.  And I will be honored to be there with you.

*Edit - Just as honored as I'd be to be your neighbor.

1. profile image0

I have unfortunately seen the damage gay-bashers do first hand. Back in the late 80's I worked in a downtown design studio where about half the place was gay. Frequently someone would come to work after being beaten up for just being gay. One of my friends was beaten up coming out of a building where he volunteered to help people who have been diagnosed with AID's. Jonny, I'd be happy to have you as my neighbour. Your sexual orientation matters not to me. I'm not sure you'll like the suburbs though.

2. profile image0

I am not worthy......maybe we could convert this Site to HugPages, Motown.

1. profile image0

Hey, my friend, I have an endless supply of those.  And I am never stingy with them!

(((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))

1. profile image0

Ha, stupid dyslexic brain. I read jonny's post a few times and didn't understand it. Then I was even more confused by yours, so I went back and looked at jonny's a few time until I say the "g" in hugpages.
                    Very clever jonny. I just kept on reading hubpages over and over. Stupid dyslexic brain.

1. profile image0

It happens Rad. sometimes we are so conditioned by what we look at regularly that we anticipate the words before we actually read it.. lol

2. profile image0

Stop beating yourself up over that, darn it!  We've all done stuff like that.  At least you have a reasonable excuse...lol  The rest of just do it because we're occasionally dumb. big_smile

2. profile image0

Wait a minute!!! Jonny, you're not hetersexual??/ OMG!!! (please note sarcasm here). I have been paying attention to you too. Not only would I be your neighbor, I'd invite you to dinner with me and my family. You are a good person from what I've seen and read of you and your hubs. Your sexual orientation is the furthest thing I look at.

Jonny, you are invited to dinner too, if you get to Western Canada.
                A few gays have told me I'm A Metro Sexual, that is a person who enjoys many of the same things gays enjoy, except actually sex with a man.

2. profile image0

This post is absolutely appalling to me as a believer in the teachings of Christ.  I'll address each point and tell you why.  I in no way mean to offend you, but I hope that you may see a little truth in what I have to say and maybe address some of it before you've gone too far to turn back.  I apologize to everyone in advance for the length of this post.  There's just way too much here to let go.

"I understand that I cannot save someone else; because, everyone must save themselves.
            God has proclaimed that it is a personal choice." 

No one on earth has the power, according to our God, to save themselves.  Salvation and grace are a free gift bestowed upon us.  We have a choice as to whether or not to accept that gift, but there is not one thing that we can do to earn it.  We don't deserve it.  God gives it to us because HE loves us and wants us, not just because we decide we want it.  You can not only not save someone else, but you cannot save yourself.  You can simply accept the salvation God offers to you.

"I live a Godly life; because through it I live a fruitful righteous life filled with much love and great happiness.
            Through my personal efforts I have abundance with God's favor to take care of many who cannot take care of themselves."

You live a Godly life....through your personal efforts?!?!!?!?  Wow.  Once again, if you are living a Godly life, it is because His grace allows you to do so.  I guarantee that though you are saved, you still stumble.  You still sin.  You still do things wrong from time to time.  And those things continue to happen because you are human.  I've no doubt that you make a personal effort to seek God's face every moment, but the minute you forget that all goodness in you and in your life comes from Him, you take that first step into the street with the shouting Pharisees that Jesus censured quite passionately.  Also, I'm going to point out that you contradict yourself quite beautifully in another statement you make later.

"People seek me because I live through God's teachings.
            Those who wish to remain evil do not normally stay around me long because they do not feel comfortable around a person of God."

Can't have it both ways.  Either people seek you out because you're a Godly person, or you drive them away because of it.  Which is it?  Evildoers sought out Jesus Christ because He was compassionate, not judgmental.  He didn't rejoice when someone left Him because they found His teachings hard to swallow.  He certainly didn't boast about it.  He mourned for those people.  Take a look at John, Chapter 6.  Some of His followers left because they could not accept the teaching.  It didn't make Him proud.  It broke His heart. The fact that you revel in the fact that people don't want to be around you because you're a person of God is evidence that maybe you need to keep working to become more like Him, rather than just excelling at following His rules.

"Those who see my life of health and wealth learn to live through the same principles and rules that God has proclaimed."

A lot of people just flat out don't give a damn about your health and wealth.  They're quite content with what they have, and may even be suffering lack while still being committed to the Christian life.  Jesus was not wealthy and he died at 33.  Oh...and He most definitely lived according to Godly principles.  If you hand out to people that your health and wealth come from being a Godly person, a lot of folks will simply shake their heads and walk away.

"I protect those who cannot protect themselves - this includes everyone's freedom to choose."

You should have just left out the second half of this statement.  It comes off as condescending.  Another thing Jesus was not.  Ever.

1. profile image0

Personality disorder - check. I've seen enough to recognize what the problem is and believe your efforts are unfortunately futile.

1. profile image0

They probably are, but I have to hope not, Rad.  sad

I just wish that more of us who believe understood that to say we live according to the teachings of Christ means that we have to behave as He did, to try to think as He did, and most importantly have to be as humble as He was.  He did not boast of His holiness...He lived it.  If we did the same, people would flock to us in droves.  Instead, we push others away at every opportunity because we think we're better than they are.  We seem to forget all the saints who were pretty rotten before they accepted the grace of God, and never forgot that fact for one single minute while they pursued more of His love and grace to become more like Him.

It ain't easy.  I'm terrible at it.  But that's because far too often, I rely on my own 'personal efforts' and not on His grace. 

Sigh.

1. profile image0

After rereading my post I realize I may have failed to properly articulate my message. Sorry if that's the case, I'll try to fix it. Stupid dyslexia!

I don't believe your efforts are alway futile, just in this particular case. A fair number of his comments indicate a personality type that will not listen to reason or anyone attempting show his errors. He will never do what I've done in the above paragraph and admit my errors. I could be wrong, but I've seen it enough times to recognize the patterns.

1. profile image0

No worries.  I knew exactly what you meant.  We're simpatico like that, you and me...lol  Plus, I read fluent typo and dyslexia.  smile

Just breaks my heart to see that kind of stuff and then hear people wonder aloud why Christians are so 'persecuted.'  We're not persecuted.  We're disliked.  Because of crap like that.

I have no shame admitting my beliefs to anyone, but my prayer is that I'll only ever have to if they ask, because otherwise they'll be able to tell right away through how I treat them and talk to them.

I'm a Franciscan, you know...and St. Francis said it best, I think.  "Preach the Gospel always.  If necessary, use words."

1. profile image0

Do you think Christians are more disliked then Jews or Muslims? I know Catholics are disliked, but not by non-christians but by other Christians.

WOW - what emotion in motion.
              I live as the son of God lived while on this earth.
              I am of my God, because I have accepted Him as my light.
              Philippians 2:13 for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose

1. profile image0

Hang on a moment, Sir.... you have not stuck by your beliefs long enough to be crucified yet.   

Please tell me how you would have acted in this scenario, if it had ever (or may might sometime) happened:   

You are one of the people directing that I, because of people's accusations and ignorant prejudice, am about to be put into a gas oven.   You and I are present because of something which neither of us can change in our lives.   You have come through indoctrination.  I have come through personal torment. 

You might consider yourself a christian.  Do you at this moment ignore any conscience that you might have and give me a shove?   Do you judge me at that point and say "It's his own fault."

Finally, do you expect your god to forgive you?  Totally, just because you call on the name of Jesus?  Would you find sufficient love in your own heart to forgive me?  Totally?  Unconditionally?  (If indeed you were entitled to make such a judgment - which you ain't!)

1. taburkett profile image58

I am not anything like you sir -
                  you try to insinuate that I or someone else would do anything to harm you when you are not attacking me directly.
                  I am a moral creature and do not judge others.  I simply assist others in their quest to be moral and ethical.
                  I am prepared for my resurrection because I do suffer continuously at the hands of people who wish to attack me for my beliefs.
                  Many have tried to disuade me, but none have been successful because my God is stronger than anyone or a combination of individuals who attack me.
                  John 8:12  When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

1. profile image0

Funny, you claim to not judge others in one sentence and then in the very next sentence you claim that others are not as moral or ethical as yourself. Isn't that a judgment?

1. profile image0

I think he was meaning that for those that may want to know about morals he can help those that may feel that they struggle...I think..

you continue to question all meaning regardless of words used because you wish to deny that anyone on this earth could simply live as a moral being continually seeking only to help those who wish to be helped.
                      if I were a doctor, I would help those who were sick.
                      Since I am a morals doctor, I assist those who wish to be moral.
                      Those who seek me always find a moral person providing path support for them.
                      Everyone has a choice - some choose moral, others choose immoral
                      Matthew 5:19
                      Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59

Whatever gets you through the day.

3. profile image0

Hmmm.  Well, you keep telling yourself that.

Ghandi advised us to believe a man. Why comment negatively on that? Why?

1. profile image0

Why comment negatively on what taburkett said?  Because it was in response to my post to him and it completely missed the point.  ??

You really should show him more respect.  Your arguing and one upping is not that helpful.
                      Let him post as he wishes! it 's a free country!

In my opinion,  morality today in America is more important than in any time in the past because we have
                                                    More To Loose.
        I really hope people will start to understand and realize the   b e n e f i t  of boundaries (Moral boundaries for the people, Constitutional boundaries for the government leaders and politicians)... especially for the Federal Government.
        Boundaries are good, not bad!!!!!
        For instance: (The following is information given in a Hub by a fellow hubber. Am I allowed to state who this hubber is or mention his excellent hubs regarding the founding fathers?)
        We were not supposed to have a private bank. The Federal Reserve is private, and therefore ends up being for Profit. The Federal Reserve prints our money, not the U.S. treasury, which is a violation of article 1 section 8 of our Constitution.
        Article 1 -   "The Congress shall have the Power to lay and collect taxes Duties, Imports and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States, but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the Untied States."
        Section 8 - "To coin money, regulate thereof, and of foreign coin and fix the standard of Weights and Measures..." Constitutionally the legislative Branch is supposed to determine the value of our currency. Our politicians handed over that responsibility to the Federal reserve which prints worthless paper money which devalues the dollar. The Federal Reserve loans the federal government money, plus interest.
        The result?
        Our tax dollars are used to repay the federal reserve loan and the interest!
        John Adams explained: "Banks have done more injury to religion, morality, tranquility, prosperity, and even wealth of the nation than they can have done or ever will do good."
        John Adams quotes can be located at http://quotes.liberty-tree.ca quotes by john+adams.
        The United State Constitution:: http://uscontitution.net/const.html#A1Sec 6

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

BTW Consider the advice by Thomas Jefferson:
        "Never spend your money before you have earned it."
        He also explained, "I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale."
        http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/author/t/thomas jefferson.html
        How does this relate to the topic? Consider that anarchy occurs when there is no authority.
        No authority= no rules, no common boundaries. The result?
        Think about it.
        Therefore, the belief in God gives us His authority, and the guidelines He wants us to have for our own Good.
        Just like the founding fathers researched and came up with the boundaries  most conducive to bringing forth Liberty and true power to the People.
        Right?

You quote a man who took a razor blade to a bible in the same paragraph you say "God gives us His authority".

Jefferson is rolling over in his grave.

You wish to throw the baby out with the bath water to prove what?
            That the belief in God has caused more problems than it has solved?
            The belief in God can also  s o l v e  mankind's problems. All problems are caused by our lack of  understanding of He Who Created Us.

PS  You and I know there is a lot in that old book that is not understandable!
            A lot!
            I certainly do not dis agree there.
            But when you comprehend that Jesus's message was that Heaven can be found Within us, you become relieved.
            George Washington would go to a different church every Sunday to hear the differing sermons.
            All religions lead to the same path.
            The Kingdom of Heaven is perceived within us through the third eye of intuition.
            We can perceive God
            as Omnipresent Spirit, or Light, as Jesus mentioned), directly.
            Direct, intuitive perception of God is ultimately where all religions lead,
            (whether they know it or not.
            LOL!)
            Just sharin'

*Sighs*  Yes... on a societal level I believe the belief in God has caused more problems than it has solved.  On a personal level I believe that religion can help tremendously.  I believe it's a great tool for self betterment.

However large groups of people with the same religious belief tend to develop a mob mentality.  They seem to think that if something has given them comfort that everybody should believe it for their own good.

Historically... I doubt that the small -or even profound- changes in many individual's lives do not in the least make up for the amount of harm done in the name of God.

This leads me to believe that if forced to keep religion on an individual scale it might help.  When religion/religious ideals are placed on a population at large then it isn't worth it.  It does more harm than good.

*edit:  From the sources I've read Washington did not attend church regularly and when he did he was drug there by his wife.

No no and lol. I am referring to the story you shared about George Washington being dragged to church by his wife. I don't believe that! I like my story better.

And that's what I get for being foolish enough to attempt a conversation with you.

My bad.

I have heard differently in regards to George Washington.
                    I am still thinking about your point that the belief in God on a Mob mentality level creates problems.
                    Can you name some problems?
                    None is coming to mind, specifically, right at this moment.
                    In my life I have been focused on the benefits of the belief in God, so can you explain in specifics... if you are still in the mood.
                    I am sure in the catholic church on a political level there are many examples.
                    I have shut out all religious craziness in my personal life.
                    I guess you are referring to the evangelists and their so called political power grabs. I even have a hard time believing they have a political agenda at all.

A lot of people misunderstand the Jefferson Bible.

Really?  A lot of people misunderstand the Jefferson Bible? 

How so?

I think what Chris is trying to say is he understands the Jefferson bible. No doubt he will 'splain it to yer in a while. lol

I look forward to the debate. smile

They think it was for his personal benefit so that he wouldn't have to read about Jesus' miracles.

7. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

It is the misunderstanding of the true nature of God that is the problem. Someday we will all agree. Until then, I hope we can all get along and respect each other's beliefs. Part of respect is not expecting or attempting to convert anyone. I am only defending that the belief in God does not HAVE to cause problems and in fact could, when rightly understood, solve problems.
      PS All are free to believe in God or not.
      Is that better JMcfarland?
      I added it just for you!

historically speaking, your view has repeatedly been shown to be incorrect.

Really? How so?
          * see PS above. Is that better?

you don't think that "evangelicals" intentionally go after power?  The fight against gay marriage equality and the fight against abortion rights alone are attributed solely to the religious right.  Secular countries for the most part do not have these kind of political battles going on.

Right now the gays can get married  (they can have their own ceremonies) and women can have abortions.
              What kind of power do you think the religious right can assume
              None!
              (BTW I am quite sure the Federal Government will facilitate legal Gay marriage.)
              Abortion rights will never be taken away.
              Let the "evangelicals" have their opinion. They are merely a faction and this country  (which allows factions) has safeguards against factions.

it is currently legal to marry your first cousin in more states than it is legal to marry your same-sex partner.

Do I genuinely think that roe vs wade will ever be overturned?  No.  But many states are putting more and more restrictions on abortion rights, or chasing planned parenthood out of town.  I don't remember which state it is, but I know one state at least that does not have a single clinic that can perform an abortion in the entire state.  Why?  Because of the religious right.

...which is an unjust faction, but it can be dealt with in our system.
                  There will always be differing opinions and beliefs, I guess is your point.  Yes, I yield to that.
                  Maybe we will all agree when were are all in heaven.
                  Thanks.

(Actually " hope" refers to the future, not the past. )

8. stclairjack profile image78
      stclairjackposted 11 years ago

Ditto! always ALWAYS love hearing from you Mo!..... a voice of logic and reason in our ocean of,.. well,.. otherwise. peace!

1. profile image0

Thanks, hon!  Nice to see you around, as always.  big_smile  I appreciate the kind words.  Having worshiped and lived my life both 'inside' and 'outside' the Church, as it were, I think I carry a different perspective than the average person.  I hope it's wisdom, and I hope it comes from God. 

Big hugs.

9. aware profile image68
      awareposted 11 years ago

the way people believe "god to be" is what causes problems.i think.
      i could just as easy abandon all hope in a potential god.
      i could let others misguided beliefs. destroy  the grand idea of god for me,
      self righteous people cause problems.
      not a god.
      spero in dio

10. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

It is NOT the belief in GOD but the belief in MAN-MADE RELIGIONS that has caused/is causing the myriad problems encountered and experienced by humankind.   Do not miscontrue the issues, thank you kindly.   Many have inadvertently confused the issues of God and religion.   God is all-one and inclusive while religion is totally divisive and exclusve in its premise.

Yes, Indeed.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59

No belief in god = no religion. I agree - clearly this belief opens the door to problems. I would never burn a witch at the stake - because I don't believe in god. Glad you are finally beginning to understand what a corrosive thing this belief in god actually is.

We can't throw the baby out with the bathwater, however!

The baby is the problem. No baby = no bathwater. Perhaps I should stop speaking metaphorically - would that help?

God equals the baby. Bathwater equals religion. We can throw out religion, but not God!
              Not God! The pure essence of God is what we ourselves are. Close your eyes. Your essence is beyond your body. You are the light of your body. That light is a small bubble in the ocean of GOD!
              It might be okay for you to dry up the ocean, but not for me. Without that ocean, I am not even a bubble!

Please stop speaking nonsense at me. There is no such thing as god. The BELIEF in god is the problem. Glad you reject all the crap in the bible about god being a person though - that is awesome. Well done. big_smile

ok... I take back all YOU think is crap!

No - I am speaking the truth. Sorry if that offends you. I thought you said you were god though, so you have a different definition to what the bible says - so I suppose YOU must think it is crap as well.

Jesus, himself said, Know ye not that ye are gods?   There is God, (the Ocean), and us, the gods, (the bubbles.) Notice the capital G vs the small g? (I only took back what was nonsense to YOU.  It is not nonsense to me, obviously.)

3. profile image0

Good answer!

11. howtolearnmore profile image61

If a person does good in the name of God, is it still a problem?

1. profile image0

Depends on what is considered "good", and who is receiving the "good" work.

1. howtolearnmore profile image61
          howtolearnmoreposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, if someone (let's say a priest) helps a homeless man, for example.

1. profile image0

It still depends on what "help" the priest is offering and how the homeless man feels about it. To some people and to the priest it might seem good if his heart is in the right place, But to the homeless man it might seem bad because the priest is doing it for the wrong reasons.

1. profile image0

Ya, like if the priest meets a hungry homeless person and offers to pray for him. LOL. Throw the hungry guy a sandwich. Get him a job if he wants one.

Good question, Howtolearnmore.

12. taburkett profile image58

When God made the world, it was good -
      When God created man in his own Image, it was good -
      When God said to man, you have a choice, it was good -
      When man chooses, it is either good or bad, but it is their choice.

I choose -
      John 15:18 - If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before [it hated] you.
      Matthew 5:44 - But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
      1 Peter 3:16 - Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.
      1 Peter 3:17 - For [it is] better, if the will of God be so, that ye suffer for well doing, than for evil doing.
      Philippians 1:12-14 - But I would ye should understand, brethren, that the things [which happened] unto me have fallen out rather unto the furtherance of the gospel;   
      Hebrews 12:3 - For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.
      1 John 3:13 - Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.
      Luke 6:22 - Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you [from their company], and shall reproach [you], and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake.
      1 Peter 3:14 - But and if ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy [are ye]: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled;
      2 Timothy 3:12 - Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.
      1 Peter 4:19 - Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls [to him] in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator.
      2 Timothy 3:10 - But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience,
      Romans 8:35-37 - Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? [shall] tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?   
      Revelation 20:4 - And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and [I saw] the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received [his] mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
      1 John 3:1 - Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
      Proverbs 29:27 - An unjust man [is] an abomination to the just: and [he that is] upright in the way [is] abomination to the wicked.
      Revelation 6:9-11 - And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:   
      Revelation 2:10 - Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast [some] of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.
      1 Peter 4:16 - Yet if [any man suffer] as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.
      2 Timothy 3:2 - For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
      Hebrews 13:23 - Know ye that [our] brother Timothy is set at liberty; with whom, if he come shortly, I will see you.
      Hebrews 11:25-27 - Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season; 
      2 Timothy 4:17 - Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me; that by me the preaching might be fully known, and [that] all the Gentiles might hear: and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion.
      Romans 8:17 - And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with [him], that we may be also glorified together.
      2 Timothy 4:16 - At my first answer no man stood with me, but all [men] forsook me: [I pray God] that it may not be laid to their charge.
      2 Timothy 1:12 - For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.
      2 Timothy 1:8 - Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God;
      2 Corinthians 12:10 - Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
      2 Corinthians 6:4 - But in all [things] approving ourselves as the ministers of God, in much patience, in afflictions, in necessities, in distresses,

Bless you all of this world --  for those living through God, I shall see you again in the next.

1. profile image0

so Man and Woman put on fig leaf.   

What you might call "everything in a nutshell!"

There was a time when HP moderated forum posts that were copy/pasted and were excessively long.  I think that these kinds of spam posts should be moderated too.

1. profile image0

Remember the colour guy?

LOL... surprisingly he didn't bother me much.  He at least mixed it up... It wasn't solid blocks of text that require 6 complete rotations of the mouse wheel to scroll past.  (Nope... didn't read it.  I own a bible... don't need it reprinted on a forum)

1. profile image0

I think we are talking about two different people, because the guy I'm talking about posted lines and lines of scripture all in different colours.

Yes... I think we're talking about the same guy.  He at least broke up the monotony of 100 bible verses by making them rainbow colored smile

when speaking of religion - it is always acceptible to provide truth from the source.
          however, you comment with anger because you fail to comprehend the attack on morals being delivered by those who wish to destroy the peace and tranquility of the righteous.

Not angry.  Just tired of scrolling forever when you quote a book that almost everyone owns and everyone who has access to the internet can access.

There is no attack on morals... except by you.

You will have to explain your pride and lack of humility to your maker. 

We were just trying to help you walk the path brother.

1. profile image0

Love you, you know that?

big_smile

2. JMcFarland profile image69

you know, it is possible to criticize a certain belief without attacking the person who holds it.  Why do you see every point against what you're saying as a personal attack, when (in reality) it's a discussion about all of the huge, sweeping claims and judgements that you're making.  It's starting to sound like you're living in your own world and you're LOOKING for 'attacks' and when none are forthcoming, you just start seeing them where they don't really exist.

Secondly - I haven't seen any post against you that was in "anger" - unless you're claiming that, in addition to holding the keys to all human morality (which is untrue) you also have the power to determine what other people who you don't know are feeling - when nothing could be further from the truth.

13. paradigmsearch profile image61

Lab rat time...

What with medical...

Does anyone really wish to dispute that?

14. Dannytaylor02 profile image71
      Dannytaylor02posted 11 years ago

Most Religion is bad and has a lot to answer for, in regards politics christians should have nothing to do with politics just like jesus had nothing to do with it because his kingdom is "not of this World" so for them to get involved is clearly wrong.

The catholic church is guilty of imposing it's beliefs in Africa for sure, they pick on the uneducated masses in Africa and tell them they are all going to hell if they use contraceptives which creates a major problem in the country...they are doing to Africa now what they did in Europe all those years ago and people are allowing this to happen!

Having said that not all religion is like this so i would be careful in categorizing "Religion" rather than just saying the particular religion that is to blame.

15. howtolearnmore profile image61

Now you are just arguing for the sake of Argument smile Obviously, I mean what if a person - who truly believes in God - gives a homeless man shelter or food?

I mean, this whole thread is weird: "God has caused more problems than it has solved." Sure, there were many instances where the word of God has been misused - even to a tragic degree. But no one seems to care about the good it does.

Please remember, that God is not the Vatican (and the Pope isn't holier than anyone of us). It is an idea that makes people do what they do.

If there was no religion, people would find some other justification to do evil. We humans are hateful and manipulative creatures. We were given brains to make our lives better, instead we spend billions and trillions on developing weapons, including those that will eradicate every living thing on the planet.

So - you think a few do-gooders outweighs the behavior of the many in the past?

Show me that is the case. Make an argument instead of this.

underground railroad..........
          Christians who hid Jews during WWII
          Christians who helped Africans flee South Africa.
          And the list would be too long for the complainers.

Too lazy to bother huh? K then. Weird - it was the Christians murdering the Jews that was the problem.  Sorry dude. Please try harder.

I forgive you, just as my Lord desires.
              Maybe some day you will find truth on your own so that you too will become morally correct.

wait, wait I'm sorry - are you claiming that only those that not only agree with your religion, but also agree with YOU are the only ones in the world who are morally correct?  That is not only arrogant and narcissistic, but blatantly false.  You do not need your god or any other god in order to be moral.  Morality comes from social queues and social constructs - not from a 6000+ year old book that includes slavery, stoning non-believers and homosexuals and the relentless pursuit of "witches" without cause.  Please step off of your pedestal for a moment and realize that you do not hold the key to morality - and that many people of varying beliefs (or non beliefs) are just as capable of morality as you are.

1. profile image0

I've also mentioned narcissism as an issue with this one. I've unfortunately seen it enough time to know logic will not work.

2. profile image0

People using common sense inspire of scripture to help those being kept as slaves because of scripture.

Like the Vatican? Most Christians watched because they wanted revenge because of the death of Jesus as was told in the bible. Ask any German or Italian old enough to go to school at the beginning of the war.

The Christians who entered South Africa and started apartheid.

3. profile image0

Some Christians who hid some Jews, etc., etc.

It does not help to distill the facts when you generalize.

2. howtolearnmore profile image61

and that is the problem... you think that there are only a few "do-gooders." It's just either you have a limited perception of the world or you have been manipulated by the media.

You don't see in the news how religion helps or saves individuals because:

a) Not every "saved" person runs to the media to report on his or happiness
          b) The media reports ONLY the bad stuff, because that is what makes them money. Bad news + commercials

So - you cannot show me then? How do you know yourself in that case?

Thanks for the condescending remarks about me though. It validates my opinion of the "saved." wink

First of all, sorry that I may have sounded condescending - wasn't my intention.

No, I cannot give you any statistics, sorry. I'm speaking from my own, and the people that i know of, experiences. Whether you want to believe it or not, is up to you.

Really? This was not meant to be condescending?

Right. Your perception. Your limited experience. I don't believe you - no - that is why I asked you to back up your claim with some information - which you completely failed to do. You certainly validated my perception of the "saved." though.

People from all walks of life and all/no religion do charity work.  I've never seen any evidence that the bible can turn a non-charitable person into a charitable person.

In addition the law of unintended consequences has always been in full effect with Christians doing missionary work.  Often they cause far more problems then they solve.  In many cases through out history they have wiped out entire populations by meaning well.

In addition... in their quest to spread the word of Jesus they have destroyed the cultural diversity and traditions of tribes that were doing just fine without them.

Now...  yes religion can be a great comfort to an individual.  It CAN change them for the better.  However that is only on an individual scale.  Large groups of Christians have NEVER been particularly helpful. 

Individually Christianity is great.  That simply doesn't convert into Christianity AS A WHOLE being a positive thing.  Most of that has to do with large groups of Christians thinking that smaller groups of NonChristians would be better off joining the pack.  The "we're going to abuse you for your own good" thing is the kind of thing that sets people's teeth on edge.

"Individually Christianity is great." - Exactly.

By creating a rich and harmonized inner world, you make the world around you better. The more people do that, the better.

That's how religion works (or should work). That's why I wanted to make it clear "The Pope and The Vatican are not holier than you."

That ignores everything about human psychology and the way people work as a group.

The larger the group of people that believe something the more likely it is they will stagnate in their beliefs.  The more likely it is that they will become unaccepting of others that don't think like them.

It's like the "popular" kids at high-school.  Times that by about a million and you have Christianity... as a whole... which is a different creature altogether as Christianity individually.

The phrase "Mob Mentality" really does mean something.

Yes, that is why humanity is so fragile. Even if you take religion away, the "popular kids" will use something different to manipulate the crowd:

a) War on Terror
                  b) Race superiority
                  c) Class warfare
                  and other BS

The world can change if individuals change from the inside (that is where Religion comes into play).

No... it really can't. 

Thousands of years have shown us that only stagnation occurs in large groups.  All societal change is brought about by minorities.

Anthropology 101.
                    History 101
                    Sociology 101
                    Psychology 101

Edit:  Large groups of even happy people will stagnate.

2. profile image0

Hey, speak for yourself buddy. Nature is cruel, but for the most part people are able to live in harmony.

Right... I really do not want to offend you, but a quick look in the history books should reveal how wrong you are.

1. profile image0

Perhaps you can only see human nature through your own nature. I personally am not a hateful and manipulative creature as you stated. I can tell you this however humans are the only species that will follow a mad man, but calling me and my family and the rest of humanity hateful and manipulative because of the deeds of others is ignorant.

I don't see human nature through my own nature, I just see it for what it is. We fight wars, bomb other countries, throw nuclear bombs (even if that happened only once), kill each other over  BS, allow our governments to hurt us and other people...

The fact that "humans are the only species that will follow a mad man" shows how fragile your harmony is. We allow our governments to kill civilians for the sake of "War on Terror" - a general idea that is absurd and ridiculous.

However, the reason why I like religion is because true believers (emphasis on the word "true") will most certainly live in harmony with each other.

Not necessarily... As much as I dislike the Westbourogh Baptist clan I have never once doubted their commitment to their faith or the strength of their belief.

The believe in Christianity with all their heart.  They truly believe they are doing God's work. 

They ARE true believers.

Hmm... I guess I didn't make myself clear. By "true believers" I meant who understood the REAL message behind Christianity, which is, in a nutshell, live in peace and harmony.

Ah... so everyone like you.

2. JMcFarland profile image69

that's the "no true scottsman" logical fallacy.  The history of christianity has been full of people trying to distance themselves from the negative actions of others because, clearly, they were not "true" christians.  Catholics do it to protestants, protestants do it to catholics, protestants do it to other denominations, etc - are you claiming that "true" christians are the ones that agree with your particular position?

almost every denomination of christianity claims that they're the "right" ones - that they have interpreted the bible correctly and put it into practice within their own denomination.  They then assume that nearly everyone else has gotten it wrong.  "true" christianity is in the mind of the individual.  I would go so far to say that there is no way to tell "true" christianity, since the bible can be interpreted to say and mean practically anything that you want it to - and I don't find it particularly reliable historically or today either.

"are you claiming that "true" christians are the ones that agree with your particular position?"

Is it wrong to believe that people, regardless of race, color, religion should live in harmony? Because that is how I interpret Religion, and I believe that if people will be in peace with each other, they will also build peace around them.

3. profile image0

No Sir.   The real message we can gain from all those stories about a person, in ancient times, being ridiculed, falsely accused, unjustly tried and murdered by an angry mob, is that our human nature is the same as it was then..... varied in the extreme.

We have gentle, loving, self-less individuals who will bend over backwards to help those in need.  We  have courageous individuals who will stand up and fight when they see someone being unfairly set upon.  Yet we have hypocrites; lazy individuals; unthinking and unintelligent barrack-room lawyers; filthy rich tyrants from all walks of life, who manipulate society for their own greedy objectives.

Not much has changed..... even ignorant religious fervour and arrogant mob rule.

2. PhoenixV profile image63
                  PhoenixVposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How would you know who are TRUE believers and who are not?  Even demons know of Jesus.

You seem nonproficient in  what is written.

15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Oh look... more bible verses.

If they truly believe in their faith they are true believers.

1. PhoenixV profile image63
                      PhoenixVposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Does providing source of my rebuttal upset you? Or do you just hate what Jesus wrote?  Did you not read it? It is a rebuttal. Even demons are true believers. You go by the fruit. Do they love their neighbors like themselves? Do they give to charity or help the poor? etc

2. profile image0

"....because true believers (emphasis on the word "true") will most certainly live in harmony with each other."

Until  the neighbour paints their house the wrong colour; or the cat always carries on at 3 in the morning; or they get a better car than we've got;  etc. etc.

Come down to earth, you will find genuine people in all walks of life, in all religions and political parties.  You will not find a "god" up on Cloud 9.

16. taburkett profile image58

The attack on religion today is the same jealousy that has happened in the past.
      Those who wish to flee the bounds of moral society want to destroy the principles of moral society.
      This jealousy then leads to disaster because the jealous individuals continue to enrage each other until violence occurs.
      Moral people do not attack other moral people.
      Those who follow the moral commandments of their God are peace loving individuals.
      Those who follow moral principles of society are peace loving people.
      Those who attack those moral principles of society are violence loving people.

When the human emotion is filled with immoral thoughts, the individual perishes because they can never fulfill the inner peace that will lead them to happiness.

The truth shall always be moral - while the untruth shall always be immoral.

Neither can be changed by man - no matter how much they legislate immoral as acceptible.

Corruption breeds violence - but honesty breeds moral peace.

This can be seen in the personal attacks on those who speak and write the truth on this site as well as many others. 

Those who are jealous of my peace and righteousness will always attack me - sayeth the Lord.

1. Dannytaylor02 profile image71

you use the word peace when describing Religion?

my religion is one of respect for peace - love - righteousness

1. profile image0

I guess you're the first to declare that?

2. profile image0

It seems to me that you are doing the attacking by stating your moral superiority.

1. profile image0

At least he's fighting his own battle this time. 

roll

you seem to have a problem with comprehension of the words written with respect, peace, love, and righteousness.
          when the truth is spoken, you need to simply interpret the meaning, not use your motive as a foundation.

1. profile image0

I'm not having any problems with comprehension of any of these words.

When do I know when the truth is spoken? When you say it's the truth? I love it when someone says that they alone know the truth and I should simply interpret your meaning.

17. paradigmsearch profile image61

Over 1000 posts! Unbelievable! I guess it is time for me to play...

18. paradigmsearch profile image61

"The belief in God has caused more problems than it has solved!"

Who cares?

19. paradigmsearch profile image61

Maybe I should let it go. There are apparently people that really care.

20. FunGoody profile image57
      FunGoodyposted 11 years ago

Eternal salvation would be one.

21. FunGoody profile image57
      FunGoodyposted 11 years ago

Very well said and moving testimony. You're in my prayers.

22. paradigmsearch profile image61

Ambling by again...

23. paradigmsearch profile image61

I have told HP to not notify me as to this thread. Good luck with that...

24. ccurry profile image61
      ccurryposted 11 years ago

What problems are religion causing Christians speak of Jesus love and compassion and unbelievers come out of the cracks to try to blame... mostly out of conviction and the many anti christ spirits that are working through them...When has living in the word and way of the bible ever caused problems
      .Never only when people who choose to sin and deny Christ it is a problem.. Not believing In jesus. I just wanna do what I want to do and I don't want to be awknoledged for doing wrong so I will deny Christ... silly thing. We are still going to be held accountable before God.. play games now pay later.. The only way to heaven is through Jesus... God is so merciful that he sent Jesus because we couldn't do it and not just that but we can rest in him.. not only did he save nut sent us Grace to do all things. Jesus loves you all.. Still even in your madness

25. paradigmsearch profile image61

I contuse...

26. paradigmsearch profile image61

And continue...

27. paradigmsearch profile image61

And confuse.

28. paradigmsearch profile image61

Not sure what to do here...

29. paradigmsearch profile image61

But, I am willing to try...

30. paradigmsearch profile image61

Meandering...

31. paradigmsearch profile image61

Who wants to play?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)