"On Earth as it is in Heaven" from the Lord's prayer, means what?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (57 posts)
  1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years ago

Our Father, who art on the metaphysical realm
    Hallowed be thy name,
    Thy Kingdom come (which exists in the metaphysical realm)
    Thy will (?) be done...
    "On the concrete realm as it is on the metaphysical realm."

What could this interpretation of the Lord's prayer mean?

Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Could it mean that concrete reality
      is somehow connected to 
      metaphysical reality?
      How?

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Could it be that concrete reality is evidence of metaphysical reality?
      (and actually proves metaphysical reality?)
      Could it be that science is actually the study of metaphysics?
      Could it be that our Creator is the Ultimate Scientist? (He does seem to be experimenting.)
      And the Ultimate Imagineer? (... and very creative!)
      Could it be that we see concrete evidence of that Creator in everything that exists?
      Could it be that our very beings are actual evidence of Our Creator?

3. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It means that the speaker is asking an ET from another universe to force its desires on the inhabitants of earth?  And maybe on the very rocks themselves?

(I would have used "metaphysical realm" rather than "universe" but am unable to find a referent or definition for the term.  Without knowing what it means it is not reasonable to use the term "metaphysical realm".)

(Didn't use "concrete realm" either, because I don't think the intent is to limit actions to only the concrete and steel jungles we call "cities" but rather to wherever men are found.  Including, for that matter, the moon as necessary and certainly the depths of the ocean, lakes and rivers whether said men are wearing concrete galoshes or not).

ETs are too concrete to force their desires on earthlings or rocks, silly.

1. wilderness profile image95

Hah!  You just try dropping a concrete gargoyle from 50,000 feet up and SEE how much force they they can exert.  I certainly wouldn't want to be under it as an earthling and wouldn't put my pet rock there, either.

You have a pet rock? (I guess you have named him Concrete or Asphalt) I get that... A perfectly non-demanding and un-controlling type of pet.
            (Excuse me, my dogs are demanding some chicken... 
            But, only because I have spoiled them and that is what they expect.)

It's much, much better than my old pet Christian.  Never demands I provide a cross in the living room and never hassles me about the pentagram on the kitchen floor.

And nor should your pet rock demand or hassle you if he could, which he can't... 
                as far as Christian...
                why didn't you stop him?
                You could have told him that demanding and hassling will never help him get back to the metaphysical realm of existence... the realm of noble ideas and perfect love and beauty, and harmony and light and beautiful unusual  colors...
                Huh?

Oh..." because there is no proof. "
                  sigh.

Why didn't I stop the Christian from his abusive behavior?

*sigh*  I loved him.  I cared for him.  I wanted him to be happy in his life, whether he cared for me or my life or not.  It's a mark of we Pagans, just as (I suppose) his actions are a mark of the Christians.  Their God has never seemed to care much how He or they treat other people outside their little group...one has only to witness that little prayer about their God forcing his will on everyone to recognize that.

4. janesix profile image60
      janesixposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Nothing is metaphysical. Or paranormal. Or supernatural.

Everything is natural and how it's supposed to be.

5. Zelkiiro profile image86
      Zelkiiroposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It means you're overthinking a simple ancient belief system in which people actually believed the Earth's sky was as far as the universe went.

Lets replace spiritual with metaphysical and material with concrete.
              It seems there is a connection of the spiritual to everything existing on the earth, and as Zelkiiro and janesix have have pointed out, to everything  existing in the universe, as well.
             It is logical to assume that in the light of this connection, evolution was by not by chance. I think it was directed by/from the realm of thought and energy,
        somehow...
        by some amazing, genius force,
        which most people refer to as God.

Side note, opinion: For them the existence of God is a given.
        Because it makes sense.
        Not because they love Dogma and evil.

Can you present that logic (that evolution was directed by a god) to us?  Preferably in syllogism form?

Or is it not logic at all, but rather belief?

Can you provide an example of there being no intelligent design behind evolution in syllogism form?

Found it.

Some people are so stubborn.
                Isn't it true?
                I ban myself for what I erased. See you in a week.
                This will take discipline but, I am motivated by that last post of wilderness'.
                Au revoir mes amies.

6. youcanwin profile image44
      youcanwinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Heaven is a perfect place.  Holy, flawless and complete place. Everything happening there according to the will of God.  Nothing happens outside the will of God.

Earth is an imperfect place where will of individuals are being done.  That is why here rape, murder and other evils are present.  This imperfect world is vulnerable to natural calamities like earthquake, tsunami, thunderstorms etc.

Lord teaching us to pray, "Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven"

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think it is a matter of perspective. That sounds the most disgusting, vile, imperfect place to me. Thank goodness it doesn't actually exist.

When the Lord commands murder - is that evil? wink

1. profile image0
          Emile Rposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Don't take this the wrong way, but you accused me of negativity for voicing an opposing view a few days ago. So, would you classify your post here as negative? If not, then why not? If so, then why would you think negativity is allowed in this case and not another?

Simply attempting to find clarification.

No I didn't. Please stop lying about me. Thanks.

1. profile image0

Oh. I thought you were Mark Knowles. I must have you confused with the other Mark Knowles. You guys should have different avatars to avoid confusion.

You certainly seem confused. wink

1. profile image0

Only to someone who conveniently forgets what he posts. smile

Feel free to copy and paste what I said. wink

2. youcanwin profile image44
          youcanwinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would like to share a paragraph from the book of " Visions of  Heaven and Hell" by John Bunyan:

“Ah, miserable wretch! Undone forever, forever! Oh, this killing word, 'forever!' Will not a million years be long enough to bear that pain, which if I could avoid it, I would not endure for even one moment for the sake of being offered one million worlds? No, no my misery never will have an end; after millions of years it will still be for ever. Oh, what a helpless and hopeless condition I am in! It is this 'forever' that is the hell of hell! O cursed wretch! Cursed to all eternity! How willfully have I undone myself! Oh, what stupendous folly am I guilty of, to choose sin’s short and momentary pleasure at the dear price of everlasting pain! How often I was told it would be so! How often I was encouraged to leave those paths of sin that brought me to the chambers of eternal death! But I, like a dumb animal, would not listen to those pleadings. Now it is too late to change it, for my eternal state is fixed for ever. Why was I made a person, that I would choose this fate? Why was I made with an immortal soul, and yet should take so little care of it? Oh how my own neglect stings me to death, and yet I know I cannot die! I live a dying life, worse than ten thousand deaths; and yet I once could have changed all this, but did not! Oh, that is the gnawing worm that never dies! I might once have been happy, salvation was offered to me and I refused it. Had salvation been offered to me only once, it would have been an unforgivable folly to refuse it. But salvation was offered me a thousand times, and yet (wretch that I was) I still as often refused it. O cursed sin, that with deluding pleasures leads mankind to eternal ruin! God often called, but I as often refused; He stretched His hand out, but I would not mind it. How often have I ignored His counsel! How often have I refused His reproof! But now the scene is changed, the case is altered. Now He laughs at my calamity, and mocks at the destruction which is come upon me. He would have helped me once, but I would not accept His help. Therefore those eternal miseries I am condemned to undergo are but the just reward of my own doing.”

Sorry sweetie, I am still not frightened enough. wink But I am glad you are comfortable worshiping a god that offers eternal damnation for using my brain. Why is that?

2. Disappearinghead profile image60
            Disappearingheadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm assuming you think Mr. Bunyan actually had a vision of hell then as opposed to sitting at his desk dreaming up imaginations and passing them off as real.

7. Peggasuse profile image81
      Peggasuseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think this part of the prayer is saying that  people should follow the positive path, just as it is followed in heaven. You really have to read the whole sentence before you can come to an understanding.

"...thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven..."

I don't think this is saying that what God wants will be done.  I think it means that God's will, consisting of pure love, is how we're supposed to live...how we're supposed to feel about each other.  It alludes to the idea that this is the way people in Heaven act...with pure love...and we should act the same way, here on Earth.

1. profile image0

+1

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years ago

Metaphysical reality exists beyond the physical.
    Concrete reality manifests on the earth plane.
    I would say yes, it's all natural. How could it be otherwise?

And that's exactly my hypothesis.

1. janesix profile image60

Yes of course. but what is your point?

What is your theory?

Are we in a school we can't leave until we learn to behave?

A prison?

Are there parellel universes?

Do we create our own reality?

I think the metaphysical world has to do with the ideas of things.
        The invisible blueprints of things.

I think we come here to experience our own power and our own freedom of action and creativity, and ultimately joy.

There is a way out.

Don't know.

We create our own realities on top of the main reality which already manifests.
        (For some reason Jesus said, "Know ye not that ye are gods?")

Do you think that we are gods?

I think what he said is quite true. We are little gods. But, we are certainly not god-like
            yet.

If we are manifesting the essence of God, we should be able to reverse the outward flow of energy or attention which is being pulled or pushed by ourselves into the concrete world and go back into the metaphysical world where God's invisible energy, ideas and blueprints are.
            (Is this what Jesus meant when he said,
            "The harvest is abundant, but the laborers are few?"
            I have a feeling, Yes.)

After all, thoughts are invisible!

Like when you cut up a hologram, the peices are the same, only smaller?

...never seen it!
                have you?
                I would accept that as a good analogy. Would you?

I haven't actually seen it done, but it's what I hear.

I think it's a good analogy.

I wonder what the scientific principle is behind it? Must have to do with energy... which in my opinion is from the metaphysical realm.  Don't ask me how.
                    Jesus said, "If thine eye is single your whole body will be (perceived to be) full of light.") Christians do not take this phrase literally.
                    Why not?

2. kess profile image60
              kessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What was the difference between Jesus and us, since in every way he was just a  man and a simple one at that?

The Fact that he knew himself to be God and that fact he declare to others say You are God.

So then, did he then imply that there was one type of God as oppose to another type of god?

Absolutely not, In fact he always emphasize that God is one, As in I am in HIM and He is in Me.
              and as an extension, You are in Him and He is in You.
              And also in,
              My Father and I are one,
              My Father ALWAYS hears and answers my prays.

What do you think is the purpose of his commandment "love your neighbors as yourselves ?
              Do you think so that you can live peaceably while you await death?

Absolutely NOT! It is so that You can come to the realisation that We are all ONE As human and as a singular GOD, no separation no distinction as one between the other.

We are the Many who are ONE, You become one only by and of the realisation of the Father   and of the Son becoming  in You. Then you no longer see many, as in have double vision, but you have achieved the singleness of eyes.

And the single eye see ALL, for All is ONE.

It is not as if we are gods today and we become  another god tomorrow, which is a little greater than the today and increasing until you become God.

At every present moment you are IT, the grestest that you can every be.
              And if this is not the place from which you start, you would forever be marking time by dividing the Word of Christ, which is this word  I have written unto you.

You cannot ignore it and still expect to have Wholeness within yourself.

3. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 10 years ago

The universe is a concrete reality with metaphysical roots. (?)
      I appreciate your sharing of this site and your input, janesix!  (I'm glad you have flown back. But, stop scaring everyone in that other forum!)

4. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 10 years ago

As above, so below.

As inside, so without? Maybe?

How could it be otherwise?  Why else is food so good for us? 
      ( I mean real food... not some of the so called "foods" you find in the supermarkets. Food-based products is all they are. But I digress.)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)