H-E-L-L

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (30 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8562232_f520.jpg
    Hell has been promoted as the biggest FEARFEST and SCAREFEST of all time. Hell has been endlessy used as a psychological ploy to make people fearful and conform.  Hell is the biggest BOOGEYMAN of all time.  Very few advanced and industrialized nations believe in this antiquated concept; however, many Americans do believe that there is a Hell.  What is hell to you? Do you believe that hell has some validity or it is pure nonsensical drivel? Why? Why not?

1. profile image0
      blake4dposted 10 years agoin reply to this

S + Hell = Shell
      Hell + O = Hello
      Nope something doesn't add up. Hell no.

2. profile image0
      Lybrahposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have written several hubs on hell.  Check them out if you have the time.

2. Zelkiiro profile image86
    Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

I believe I've made my thoughts on the matter well-known, so if you're curious, there ya go!

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years ago

in the words of a popular Guru…
    "Where do you think you are?"

4. Ericdierker profile image44
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

I strongly believe that the imagery of hell is amazing. The literature trying to describe such a "place" is incredible. The attempts made to quantify or even give hell stages and steps are extremely interesting.
    The Biblical references do not do justice to what horrors we can conjure up of hell. Dante nearly romanticizes it, and revelation nowadays makes me think of a online video game.

With all that said I believe quite strongly in hell. I believe we can go there. I believe I have visited it. I have seen battlefields and Auschwitz, the killing fields and a dump where children are born and live their short life and then die there. But these were not hell.

Hell is a state of mind. We can choose to go there. And some seem trapped there by an infirmity. An angry God could send us there if we so believe we belong there. Hell has attributes that we can understand, and those are not found in what is present there, but rather what is absent. Love and Hope do not exist in hell. And the absence of love and hope is hell for the best notion we can perceive as hell is perpetual despair.

gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Couldn't SAID it better! + multillion X multillion into infinity!

5. aware profile image67
    awareposted 10 years ago

hell is a real town or two in America. there's even a town in Iceland named hell. ive never been to any of these real hells on earth  . but i imagine they are scarcely populated. and quite. hardly  fire and brimstone

6. Disappearinghead profile image61
    Disappearingheadposted 10 years ago

The word Hell as I understand it is derived from an old Anglo Saxon word that means covered or unseen. That is, the dead reside in an unseen other place, which sounds similar to the Jewish Sheol. The bible describes Sheol as a place of silence, rest, sleep, and oblivion.

The imagery of hell oft pushed today is something very very different, and seems to find its origins in Revelation with further enhancements from paganism and Christians who claim Jesus took them there for a day trip. I have little confidence in the integrity of Revelation, at best it seems to be the ramblings of a confused mind, and all the other add-ons to hell are the vain imaginations of the artist and deranged.

7. aka-dj profile image65
    aka-djposted 10 years ago
    1. Disappearinghead profile image61
      Disappearingheadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

A fertile imagination. His hell is unknown in the bible, go figure.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
        Castlepalomaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There can be a hell on earth from experiences. As far as unknown spiritual places, I can not imagine the hell concept in the bible or an all loving God is a lie.

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000!

Is that how many people living in Hot Club HELL?

No, I was in total agreement with your premise regarding hell.  Hell is really a state of mind and consciousness.  However, many religions, particularly the Abrahamic religions, use hell as a fear generating mechanism to control the masses.   During early medieval times when there was an impetus to have more Christians, hell was used by church authorities to scare people into coverting to Christianity.   Hell has been the biggest scarefest in the Christian religion.

Yes, the Fear club works better than love, when they prepare their whole to go to heaven hoping they have the right  winning lottery ticket within their own fight club to heaven.. Then most of them are against me for not joining them ,along with millions of God culture clubs.

Got to Love them anyways, if we are going to evolve.

That's true as they are in their spiritual infancy.

2. aka-dj profile image65
        aka-djposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Jesus didn't seem to agree with you.

It certainly was real to Him.
        He spoke of it several times.

Based on His language, it's neither imaginary, not pleasant.

I do understand why people would want to remove Hell from their faith reality.

Jesus never described a hell as imagined by these con men who claim they've been there. Go figure again.

Disappearinghead, hell is one of the biggest constructs invented to scare humankind into obedience.  Hell was also invented  by church authorities to gain massive converts to Christianity.   The church had to have numbers and one of the ways to get the numbers in addition to establish religious hegemony in Medieval Europe was by ANY MEANS NECESSARY, either positive or negative.  If honey did not work, then the carrot and stick method would.   

There is nothing like hell to have "believers" walk the straight and narrow path.  Religionists love to regale the more susceptible with stories of hell in order to win others to their cause.   Many religions have a negative psychology to them.  People are inherently evil and are born sinners because of the so-called fall of the mythical Adam and Eve.  To many religionists, living is indeed fraught with evil and sin. To them, life is one BIG PURGATORY and should be spent in perpetual penance with a psychological hairshirt before "going to the BIG REWARD."     Life=pentinence in the face of fear to the average religionist. and/or pietist.
            http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8581285_f248.jpg

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8704798_f248.jpg

Yes you'll find no disagreement with me. But every religion has the same carrot and stick. The ancient Egyptians employed the idea of one's heart being weighed after death and if it didn't measure up it was eaten by a crocodile and the soul was cast into hell. We can see how the Christian hell was borrowed from these pagan religions.

Interestingly enough, Judaism appears to be unique in that there is no hell and no post death torment, all the dead whether good or bad shared the same fate. In fact whenever we need an antidote to the Christian hell, satan and demons, we only have to look to Judaism where we will see these things don't exist. So obviously Christianity today was not born from Judaism as claimed but has been wholly been reinvented, manufactured, marketed, and sold to the masses.

2. Castlepaloma profile image76

Everyone dies, but not everyone lives
          We have pushed Death away from Life, the dying away from the living - all in order to impose the illusion of control on the uncertainty of change.
          We have lost touch with the natural world and what we most fear as mortal animals not being successful as the immortal jellyfish.who lives it, without a backbone or brain.

Fell sorry, for those  poor super human beings who will do anything to avoid their illusion of eternal extreme suffering.

8. aka-dj profile image65
    aka-djposted 10 years ago

Hell was never "designed" for humans.

Sad thing is, they choose to follow satan, in either full knowledge, or ignorance, so they end up with him.

And, of course, that's his final "resting place".

No-one has to go there, if they choose the salvation that God has provided, through the work of Jesus Christ.

aka
      No-one has to go there, if they choose the salvation that God has provided, through the work of Jesus Christ.

There is that fear factor again, from the Reality of Supernatural Faith.
      I have faith in alot of things, just not in a  unknown places of false promises and extreme suffering places that nobody can imagine without a trace of experience.

Happiness and love trumps faith for most who know very little or nothing about Jesus, who claims to have all of the 99% spirituality unknown to us.

Looking forward to a more spirtual age rather than a religious one.

1. aka-dj profile image65

Call me DJ, please.

If you are drowning, and someone throws you a lifeline, you are free to say "no thank you. I can swim just fine".
        Don't, then say, when your arms are dead tired, almost at the point of drowning, "oh, if only I had known what was waiting for me. I would have taken that 'provision of salvation' when it was offered".

Stating a (future) fact, is not fear mongering, but rather love warning.

Warning your kids to not venture too close to the edge of a building, lest they fall, is not fear mongering. It is educating them in outcomes based on their actions.

@aka-dj, castlepaloma is stating his premise.  The concept of hell has been used by religionists since the advent of Christianity to gain more followers and to scare people into blind religious conformity.   Hell is not a Christian concept. 

All religious mythologies have incorporated the concept of hell in its belief systems. What Castlepaloma is stating that hell is fear-based and is becoming outmoded as humankind becomes more spiritually aware.  Hell is the premise of ancient mythologies and clearly has no place in postmodern thinking and in the lives of spiritually evolved and mature persons.

1. aka-dj profile image65

I agree that it has no place in post modern thinking.

The problem with that is that, "what makes post modern thinking" right, true and accurate?
            Especially since, we as humans still face the exact same unknown, after death, as did our forefathers.

We certainly have access to much more information of what others think, say, and experience, but it still leaves the issue open ended.

Now THAT we are in agreement with.  God bless and have a Blessed Night, I am off to bed for some rest.

2. EncephaloiDead profile image55
          EncephaloiDeadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, but that argument doesn't work simply because no one is in any danger and you aren't saving anyone because your fantasy based scenario has nothing to do with reality.

2. Disappearinghead profile image61

The bizarre thing is, these people who claim to have visited hell imagine it as Satan's HQ bunker where demons are happy little tykes quite at home torturing poor souls. Then in the same speech they claim hell is where Satan and his demons will themselves be tortured for all eternity. So which is it?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)