2nd Amendment Christianity

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (92 posts)
  1. profile image52
    illusive elusionposted 10 years ago

Does anyone else find it ironic when America's 'Religious Right' (comprised largely of those identifying as Christian) sees fit to "stick to their guns" about the 2nd amendment right to bear arms?  It seems to me like this would be in 100% direct opposition to the charge that they "resist not evil; but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also" (Matthew 5:39). Scriptural passages don't influence my personal or political leanings, but I don't think that anyone claiming to be a follower of Christ has that sort of luxury.

1. Doc Young profile image61
      Doc Youngposted 10 years agoin reply to this

... in context ... you would find the verse you quoted applies to "abuse" suffered for presenting the Gospel of Jesus Christ ... Luke 22:36 speaks to personal self defense in times of trouble ... shortly after we find Peter does carry a sword but uses it improperly, both in purpose and aim ... John 18:10 ... personally I think he was going for the neck but needed more practice ...

1. profile image52
        illusive elusionposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Do you mean to imply that this is the only case in which the instruction to Christians was that they not respond to conflict with violent resistance?  I still find it difficult to agree that the original intent of this passage is to say that a believer should allow others to defame and persecute them for their religious convictions, but if a crook with a weapon shows up in their house then it is perfectly fine to kill 'em dead.

1. Sed-me profile image78
          Sed-meposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The Bible records the violence of man throughout the ages. I believe you'll find that there are many "righteous killings." Whether it be in wartime, or b/c man was following the laws of the land. Take for example the prophetess Deborah. God told her to drive a tent peg through the head of Jabin, while he slept, to deliver Israel from his hand. You may feign disbelief, but good must triumph over evil or evil will destroy like a cancer. She wiped out the cell before it spread through the whole country and destroyed it... and it was an act sanctioned by God.

... careful ... not aware of God speaking to her but the implication is God approved ... and her name was Jael ... she is in the Song of Deborah ...

I studied the story many years ago and remembered Deborah doing the deed, but she was leading the land at the time. She was the prophetess lead by God to take down Jabin, but you're right, it was Jael, the female who took the life and it was that of Jabin's high official Sissera. The story is found in Judges 4 and 5. My apologies.

... no need ... we all need to refresh once in a while ... just trying to keep you out of the crosshairs of the malcontents ...

2. profile image0
            Rad Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you heard God tell you to kill someone would you do it?

2. Doc Young profile image61

... no, i am implying nothing ... i am stating that this is the only case i know of where we are to turn the other cheek as it were ... and i don't believe it means to stand there defenseless while you are pummeled ... on the contrary, one should be smart enough to move on (Mark 6:11) when there is an avenue of retreat ... should a malcontent continue their abuse or pursue you when you turn away then let them suffer the fury of self-defense ... and "love thy neighbor" has to do with doing that which is called for, in this case, maybe a lesson in manners so the foolish one will think twice the next time ...

... as to killing ... what do you mean by this ...

1. profile image0

Turning the other cheek and allowing someone to take your money goes against human nature. That's why it makes no sense.

... you'll have to catch up ... you're understanding is incorrect ... read my previous ...

1. profile image0

Sorry, my understand of "turn the other cheek" is correct. It doesn't say to run away or fight back. You don't get to decide that "turn the other cheek" really means to run away. What a joke. You don't like conflicting information so you simply pretend it means something else. Can you really look at yourself in the mirror and say that to turn the other cheek means to run away?

... i see comprehension is not one of your strong suits so i'll expand a bit for you ... here we have a man, we'll call him #1, talking to another man, we'll call him #2, about God ... #2 does not want to hear it ... so rather than him walking away #2 swats #1 ... #1, in this setting, is under a directive is not allow to strike back as this was, in essence, a response to the message not the messenger ... so the #1 is free to move on as indicated in Mark or stand there and take more abuse ... #1 decides to move on, as it says in Mark ... #2, for whatever reason decides to pursue the retreating #1 ... bad move ... cuz now the #1 is under no restrictions ... and as #2 pursuits #1, #1 might feel a physical assault is imminent, he has no reason to wait for the second swat or touching and goes into a proper counter offensive mind set ... so you see we have two varied confrontations ... one brought on by a spiritual comment for which #1 accepted the physical rebuff ... as is proper ... and one brought on by the purposeful assault, no touching required, by #2 which has no spiritual connotation ... self defense is therefore an accepted response ... but only to point which the prudent man would find necessary ... its really quite simple ...

1. profile image0

And I have the comprehension problem? You however turned this...

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well.  If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.  Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you."

into that.

2. Righteous Atheist profile image59
            Righteous Atheistposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This passage you quoted (Mark 6:11) has absolutely nothing to do with turning the other cheek. Your passage is to do with sticking your religion at them and then when they say "no thanks," you are to walk away and God will kill them later.

Why the need to lie about what the bible says?

... as usual you're understanding is incorrect and your comments are offensive ... read my previous ...

1. Righteous Atheist profile image59

Oh dear. Please stop bearing false witness against me.

Mark 6.11 has absolutely nothing to do with turning the other cheek.

And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear you, when ye depart thence, shake off the dust under your feet for a testimony against them. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.

I wonder - have you read this book? Or is your understanding so poor? What did goddun to Sodom and Gomorrha again? sad

... i just love the way you start most times with your whinnie, sniveling comments ... boo, boo, you're judging, you're bearing false witness ... wahhhh ...  it always makes me chuckle ... anyway ... without God, common courtesy and social graces, all of which you lack, you haven't snowballs chance in Hell of understanding ... much of anything ...

Oh dear. The passage you quoted had absolutely nothing to do with the matter in hand. Keep bearing false witness against me then. No wonder your religion causes so many fights. sad

2. profile image0

This I love.

You reply to someone that you think his comments are whinnie and snivelling and then you tell him that it's because he is without God they he has no common courtesy or social graces and hasn't a snowballs chance in Hell of understanding much anything.

He however has the excuse of not "having" God. What's your excuse?

2. profile image0
      savvydatingposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Here is a link that may offer insight behind the real meaning of the phrase, for anyone who cares to know.
      http://www.reenactingtheway.com/blog/tu … -injustice
      As the title implies, "offering the left cheek" is a form of peaceful resistance, and a way of challenging the other person to think about their aggression. It's the same method used by Ghandi and Martin Luther King,Jr. for example. It is a way to effect positive change. Including in the link is the cultural context of that time, which discusses how Roman soldiers randomly slapped people all of the time.
      I've used this "left cheek" method in the workplace, and frankly, it makes a very strong statement. I may have to begin using it more on hubpages. (Lol)
      Long story short, the verse is highly misunderstood. It is not intended to say, "Be a doormat." It is a call to effect change in a more powerful way.

And if they slap your other cheek?

2. Sed-me profile image78
    Sed-meposted 10 years ago

Just curious what your stance is on Christians going into the armed forces such as the police force or the army. Is it your stance that Christians not be allowed to hunt for food? Or is it simply self defense that you take issue with? Thank you.

You don't have a problem with killing human beings then? Not surprising - many self professed Christians are not fans of turning the other cheek. sad

Did I say I didn't have a problem with taking life? That was a moon jump you took there. I simply asked for clarification from the OP. I like the frowny face. Thanks. Here's a smiley face for you. smile

1. profile image0
          SirDentposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think you may have a stalker.

Says the pot. wink

I love stalkers. They are so silly. As long as they remain online... and live outside of the contiguous states.

2. Righteous Atheist profile image59

Ah - sorry - I assumed. I take it you are against Christians going in the armed forces then?

Not at all. I recall David wielding a sword and he was the apple of God's eye. Although few armies use a sword anymore.

So you don't have a problem with killing human beings then. Glad we got that cleared up. wink

If you are going to ask and answer every question, I really don't need to be here.
                I personally have not, nor do I plan to take a life.
                I can tell you if someone were to hurt someone I loved, I believe God would expect me to forgive, though it would be no easy task.
                However, were I called to defend the life of someone in danger, I would feel compelled to act bravely and do what was necessary to protect someone who was innocent. What would you do in that situation?

Perhaps you could try and be more clear? You are fine with Christians in the armed forces whose purpose is to kill people - yes? So you are OK with Christians killing?

If a Christian were a police officer hired to uphold the law and he had to take a life b/c legally and morally it was required of him? Yes, I'm ok with that. Do you discriminate against the religious holding those posts? What other jobs should they not hold according to you?

2. profile image0

To kill or not to kill, that is the question.

The problem lies in the mountain of conflicting information. The bible says God says to not kill your neighbours, unless they are promiscuous girls or homosexuals. It says nothing about not killing people of other tribes. Rather conveniently written isn't it? So it appears Christians are asked to kill for Jesus.

As it turns out people are people and most of what Jesus supposedly said is lost on us. When it's convenient they fall back on the laws of the OT, when that's not convenient they claim that the NT overrides the OT. So they can go to war and kill as many people of others tribes guilt free and when they come home they can eat pork and shellfish and work on Sundays all guilt free.

As long as you profess "love" as you do it I suppose. wink

Not to be condescending, but you don't have a good understanding of the Bible and should not try to dictate its meaning until you do.

1. profile image0

Rather than simply showing me I'm wrong you throw insults. It appears everyone gets different meanings from the bible because of these contradictions. That's way baptists, catholics and all the other secs. You guys can't even agree, why should I take your advice about my opinions being invalid when you guys can't even decide who's opinions are valid?

If you don't like what I said prove me wrong.

2. profile image52

For my own part, I am grateful to all of America's armed servicemen and women, regardless of their religion or beliefs.  I don't feel that Christians should keep out of the military any more than I feel that children really should leave out cookies and milk for Santa Claus. In fact, I would say that it is a morally superior decision to fight for others' freedom than to bury one's own moral conviction beneath dogmatic teachings of any creed.  However, in so doing, these same Christians make the unconscious assertion that their own moral compass can guide them more rightly than biblical doctrine!  And, I would argue, they are correct in this case.  But you can see the dilemma this causes for someone who wishes to say that they follow the teachings of Christ (who is supposed by most Christians to actually be the source of morality itself!)

Regarding use of firearms for hunting, I don't recall any scripture specifically prohibiting the killing of animals for food, so I don't find it inconsistent for Christians to use guns in this way.  But how many of the "Religious Right" are really just out to preserve their means of hunting?

So you are specifically talking about a group... sort of like the NRA. You're not saying that a Christian (who follows the Bible's code of not murdering someone) should not serve in the armed forces. You're saying that... who exactly are you saying cannot take up arms according to the bible?

1. profile image52

I'm saying that Christians who serve in the armed forces are either unaware of this passage, or are aware of it and have decided to put their own moral judgment above biblical teaching.  However, I don't see this as a bad thing.  Clearly just another example of human morality surpassing the supposedly inerrant word of god.  Or, at best, an illustration of how malleable scriptural doctrine must become in order to conform to what the average human would agree is the obvious right choice.  I am reminded in some way of Abraham's near-sacrifice of Isaac at God's command.

What passage?

1. profile image0

Eye for Eye
              38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’[h] 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

Mathhew 5 38:42

When he says "you have heard it said"... where do you think they had heard it said before?

They had heard it said b/c it was Levitical law. The difference between the OT and the NT is the former was about judgement and the latter was about mercy.
                Neither of these situations have to do with war time situations.

OT
                Leviticus 24:19: "If a man injures his neighbor, just as he has done, so it shall be done to him: 20. fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth; just as he has injured a man, so it shall be inflicted on him.

NT
                Matt 5:38: "You have heard that it was said, `An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' 39. But I tell you, don't resist him who is evil; but whoever strikes you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also.

As Ive tried to explain many times before, the bible must be taken as a whole, not dissected up into parts in order to make what ever point the poster is going for.

The bible speaks of wartime. Many godly men have gone into battle. You cannot just ignore that b/c it suits the point you want to make.

I have to go... see you later.

1. profile image0

More conflicting information. One says an eye for an eye and the other says to turn and give him the other eye.

While those were not about war, this one was.

Love for Enemies
                  43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Love your enemy. You are told to love ISIS, even the one who is beheading innocent people.

3. cjhunsinger profile image61
      cjhunsingerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sed
      A very nice response. Well said.

4. cjhunsinger profile image61
      cjhunsingerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sed
      A very nice response. Well said.

TY.

3. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 10 years ago

No, I don't find it ironic at all; only a minuscule minority will ever use that gun to shoot anyone.  It thus has nothing to do with turning the other cheek.

1. profile image52

I would argue that the small likelihood of opportunity does not diminish the relevance of intent in ownership of deadly weapons.  For the same reason, I think most people would agree that it is immoral to attempt to murder someone even if the attempt fails or the right opportunity never arises.

4. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

illusive elusion, you've hit a powerful topic that many cannot resist flinching about.

First, though, the left-right paradigm is a lie. That carefully constructed lie has been used to pigeonhole us into separate camps in order to control us. Those with $Trillion$ can spend their money on think tanks to come up with every conceivable way to gain more power -- like creating the lie of 9/11 and blaming it on Muslim patsies. It worked!

Most Christians have no real idea of Christianity.

Doc Young, for instance, waffled on the idea of turning the other cheek. He doesn't understand its true power. This is easy to understand, if you've ever experienced full-blown miracles and have know how loving your enemies enough to want them to achieve all that they desire is what turning the other cheek is all about.

As spiritual beings, if we flinch when these temporary bodies of ours are threatened, then we are being too attached to them. This helps to keep us trapped in our "long sleep" of egoistic separateness.

1. profile image0

You are most certainly right about Doc Young and his inability to understand the power of turning the other cheek. We all know who Gandhi was and what he achieved turning the other cheek. Everything else is nonsense unfortunately.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)