Life on other planets Vs. Religion

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Phocas Vincent profile image68
    Phocas Vincentposted 9 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12171074_f520.jpg
    With the recent discoveries of planet upon planet in the habitable zones of their respective energy source stars, what do you suppose would come of modern religions if the scientific endeavors of  astronomers and astrophysicist ever were able to prove the undeniable evidence of life on a planet other than Earth, especially those such as Christianity that names our planet the soul barrier of diverse life as dictated by God. With such evidence could religions such as Scientology, seen today as a cult religion be given new traction or would ideologies such as atheism consume man; would core religions such as Christianity adapt to such evidence to survive the revolution forced by science?

1. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Christianity doesn't name this planet as the sole barrier of life as dictated by God, but I think evidence of life elsewhere in the universe would create a problem for someone who believed such. I don't see evidence of life as a reason for any religion, cult or atheism to gain traction. Why would it?

1. MonkeyShine75 profile image60
        MonkeyShine75posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've heard religious people say that there are no aliens, and that those who think they've encountered one, actually encountered Satan. I've also heard them say the people on Earth are God's only creation

1. Castlepaloma profile image74
          Castlepalomaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Those Christian who encountered aliens, did they say the aliens looked like man.?

I didn't say Christians encountered Aliens

I'm a little baffled by the way new people are greeted here, but maybe I'll understand it at some point in time.

To your way of thinking there is no christians  think aliens exist outside of them being satan.
              Just tring to get it right.

The Christians I've encountered that claim to have seen an
              aliens,say he dose look like man.

Don't want to be rude about the unknowns.

To my way of thinking? Where did I say that "no Christians think aliens exist"
                wow, you guys are funny, you're kidding right?

I have to walk on eggs shells whentalking to christians aboutaliens, for Jesus maybe one
                  himself.

Do you think
                  an alien would look like man?

2. profile image0

I've heard a lot of things. I once heard a school teacher say satan was an anagram of santa, therefore Santa is evil. Should i make general assumptions about all school teachers based on that? Making assumptions and broad statements  concerning anything, based on what a limited number of people have stated is rarely advisable and invariably short sighted.

Why does the bible not explain aliens then. Too often Christians tell me about eliens looking like man or part of satan.

1. profile image0

I don't claim to be able to speak for people I don't know or possess the ability to defend heresay. I do think that it is better to take individual statements as just that. Not to attempt to project personal beliefs onto the broader population and make assumptions about others because of my personal belief as to their personal belief. It gets really muddy the further you attempt to slog into conjecture.

2. MonkeyShine75 profile image60

What broad statements, and assumptions am I making?

1. profile image0

You did reply to my statement questioning his assertion that Christianity claims 'this planet as the sole barrier of life as dictated by God' with the following:

I've heard religious people say that there are no aliens, and that those who think they've encountered one, actually encountered Satan. I've also heard them say the people on Earth are God's only creation

I took that to mean it was your understanding that since people you label religious made those statements that it is your assumption that is the general belief within organized religion they claim affiliation with. If that was not your intend then I do apologize for the misunderstanding.

My primary point is that individuals believe what they believe; for myriad reasons. You can't tie that into any more than a particular group within the broader structure of religion. A miniscule percentage; at best. And it isn't only religion which leads us to conclusions on a universal scale. I know many atheists who don't think that there are aliens. Of course, they don't believe that satan causes people to think they've encountered one. They simply label those who believe they have seen one as delusion, or lying. However, that does not imply that all atheists scoff at the idea of life on other planets. It's simply an individual assumption at odds with one I hold.

You made the general statement that “christianity doesn’t say this planet is the sole barrier of life”
                http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/128372#post2702688

So I stated “ I've also heard them say the people on Earth are God's only creation” (christians, not all christians)
                which was not a generalization, just a true statement, no more, and no less. I said nothing to offend anyone. If anyone can get offended over my statement about what I’ve “heard”, the offense didn’t come from me. The people who said this to me were all of the christian church, so I assume they are religious

The other person also thought I was saying that no christian believes there are aliens, which I didn’t
                http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/128372#post2702991

1. profile image0

I'm not sure why you are using the word 'offended' in this conversation. No one has implied that they thought anyone would be offended.

Yes, I did make that statement. Some Christians may have made the statement you were quoting and some Christians may believe what the OP has said, but stating that Christianity asserts either idea is not correct. And you have pointed out that you were quoting some Christians not claiming that is Christian belief; although that is not what I took to be the implied intent of your response to my initial comment on this thread. My only point in commenting on this thread was because the OP states that Christianity holds a certain belief; which is not true. If you have been offended by my participation on this thread I suppose I apologize.

I didn't state that about christianity, but about a few religious people, that is the point I was making.
                    When I say religious people, I do not always mean christians, because christians aren't the only religious people.
                    However. I think I will stop with this now, since you are not understanding what I have said

2. Castlepaloma profile image74

No living creature has been found on any other planet.

If we do find an alien, more likely they will find us first.

Do not imagine an alien would look like man. Could blow the concept of man was
      made in the image of God.

3. jacharless profile image75
      jacharlessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Regardless of the term associated with Creator and the philosophies surrounding, proof of life on other planets would further solidify the existence of Creator. Therefore the philosophies surrounding would be further bolstered, perhaps even new philosophies emerge. The scientific side of Theos continuously renews the sensational side, even as the sensational encourages science.

If Christian find three planets where their leaders look like man, I will join your faith.

Very unlikely you will get your spaceship off the ground without the help of the unbeliever sciencist.

1. profile image0

Food for thought. Science and Christianity are not mutually exclusive. Never have been. I do believe if you take all of what you qualify as 'unbeliever' scientists out of the equation we'll still continue to progress along. The perceived conflict between religion and science is a struggle the individual needs to recognize as a personal problem that should be reflected on and resolved.

Since most scientist are unbeliever, a Christians spaceship would have alot less chance of finding an alien to match their ego image of a man looking like God. Nice fairy tale but dose not work  well with science.

4. Sed-me profile image80
      Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There are real pics of outer space that are far more amazing than the drawn ones.
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12172223.jpg

1. Phocas Vincent profile image68
        Phocas Vincentposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree Sed-me, an endless frontier of beauty; I wish I could witness it all in my short time on Earth. I Can't imagine the images that will be sent back home for decades to come as long as our space mission stays vibrant and alive.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12172518_f248.jpg

5. Writer Fox profile image34
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Judaism has always accepted other life forms in the universe.  In fact, that is what Elohim are.  Although we are made in their image, they are a totally different species of being.  Also, there are other beings such as the Cherubim. No where in the Hebrew Bible does it state that earth is the only place of life in the universe.  In fact, just the opposite.  When the God of Israel appears, he "comes down" from His celestial abode.

Are Jews aliens?

1. KJ Belanger profile image60
          KJ Belangerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I know a couple I'd consider Aliens wink But I jest to lighten this mood

2. profile image57
    Afogposted 9 years ago

To know that God is a Creator God is to understand that He creates. Of course there are other worlds and creatures made Him. But when looking for aliens we must be careful what we expect and what we think we saw. To Eve, the serpent was an alien or could have been because she supposedly encountered  the only animal that could talk. But that was a lie because the serpent was being used as a medium. If you believe in God at all, then you surely must know that evil angels can transform themselves just the same as Holy Angels can appear as men.
    If an evil angel wants to dupe someone, posing as some kind of "alien" form is a very easy undertaking in today's climate of thought. But there is one thing that can be done to eliminate the false from the real.  I learned a long time  ago that if a being appears and you want to qualify whether it's genuine or not you can say "If you are not here as sent by God, then, in Jesus name,  you must leave." Of course you must be talking from a platform of believing in God.  God does not employ deceptive measures to dupe anyone.
    So if you just love aliens you will have plenty to  exercise your mind, but if you want the truth then you know where you must find it.

Have a great day.

From my understanding, the Serpent was an angel, and the crawling on his belly was symbolism that simply meant he could never again rise to the position with God that he had before he tempted man.
      He wasn't an animal as you call it, nor a reptile, but an fallen angel who appeared as a man

1. profile image57
        Afogposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The serpent was a snake one of God's creatures, but Lucifer the fallen angel now known as Satan spoke through the serpent. the serpent was cursed after the temptation prevailed.

thanks for your interest and response. God bless.

Lucifer is a Latin word inserted into the bible, and has never meant Satan, but the Son of the Dawn and was inserted in Isaiah where it is speaking of an Assyrian King
          The Serpent, Satan was a fallen angel...there were no dead people, and no mediums

Oh! That explain eliens they really serpents or fallen angels.

Explain to me how did you imagine this up when the earth is 99 % unknown to earthlings collectively. Let alone taking a Religious spaceship to check out it all within the Universe.

3. insearchof truth profile image84
    insearchof truthposted 9 years ago

I don't see why Christianity and aliens are exclusive concepts. I agree with the posts on here that God created other types of beings mentioned in the bible other than man, and I think logically that if you believe in God it would be closed minded to think that in the vast universe He wouldn't create other beings and worlds.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)