Reading And Understanding The Bible.

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Mthokozisi Nkosi profile image58
    Mthokozisi Nkosiposted 8 years ago

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12555897_f520.jpg
    I am so puzzled by a lot of people who call themselves Christians and yet only to find that they don`t even understand a single word in the bible. always misinterpreting the message to suit their situations or circumstance. I`ve also noted that the people that read the book of life most are the pagans only to criticize it.  Most Christians only quote certain verses of the bible and never read a whole chapter. Some only open their bible at church when instructed by the pastor, and that`s it. I believe that Christianity is a way of life not like what we do these days. With that stated, I believe what is written in the book of life that "In all your getting, make sure that you get understanding"

1. BuddiNsense profile image60
      BuddiNsenseposted 8 years agoin reply to this

When Elyon divided the nations, when he separated the sons of Adam,
      he established the borders of the nations according to the number of the sons of the gods.
      Yahweh’s portion was his people, [Israel] his allotted inheritance. (Deut. 32:8–9)
      Then [Elohim] said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness” (Genesis 1:26).
      [Yahweh] stands in the assembly of El; in the midst of the gods he renders judgment (Ps. 82:1).
      Who is "misinterpreting the message to suit their situations "?

2. Live to Learn profile image60
      Live to Learnposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This is interesting to me. Primarily because even scholars argue the meaning of the words and message in the Bible. With years of study being put into the matter and failing to arrive at the same conclusions how could we expect the average person to do otherwise?

You complain that many appear to interpret it to suit their fancy and their lifestyle; but, it is easy to see that the same argument can be made about the person criticizing their interpretation. Who is to say whose understanding is more correct?

So, you complain that pagans read the whole thing and (apparently) come to a different conclusion than you would think to be the correct one. Who's to say theirs isn't the correct one?

What your post is basically lamenting is that not everyone comes to the same conclusions you did on the words. Maybe, if this bothers you greatly, the problem is that you didn't get the meaning meant to be gotten.

1. BuddiNsense profile image60

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12556234.jpg

2. Mthokozisi Nkosi profile image58
        Mthokozisi Nkosiposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Just yesterday I arrived home and found my brother arguing with a certain pastor from a certain church about tithes and why people must give 10 percent of what they earn to the church. The pastor said the tithe belongs to him and my brother says to the church. These people are both Christians but have different interpretations of whats in the bible. Hence I say some people interpret the bible to suit the situations.  Yeh I agree we all have different interpretations of the word of God, which should be understood according to the knowledge of God and not the knowledge of this world. The word of God is clear and needs no interpretation, but it seems we keep dividing Christ into groups.  God said, "I destroy the wisdom of the wise and set aside the understanding of the scholars"  You know? 

Because this world`s wisdom is foolishness......

1. Live to Learn profile image60

Well, I say when you start arguing over money you've bypassed any understanding of the words and actions of Christ.

2. BuddiNsense profile image60

If it is clear there would be no interpretations at all.
          Because this christian's wisdom is foolishness......
          and the fools end is christianity............

I'd have to disagree with you on the fool's end comment. I will agree that any fool's end is thinking you know anything at all on such a grand scale as the universe.

True as we are constantly learning and growing, and it shall be so, till we leave planet earth, and at the end of the day its what one believes that gives one fulfillment, all we have to do is ensure that what we believe does not destroy. This why I respect God the creator as he gave us the power of choice. Your life is what you chose to make it. I guess we all also choose to understand the bible in different ways......

2. BuddiNsense profile image60

"Because this christian's wisdom is foolishness"
              Obviously I didn't mean all Christians, I meant only those who say they know god, how he works and what he wants.

I can agree with that. Using terminology which encompasses large swaths of humanity can create unavoidable confusion.

2. ro-jo-yo profile image83
    ro-jo-yoposted 8 years ago

The problem with Christianity is that Christians believe that Jesus Christ is God. First of all, the name and title Jesus and Christ is incorrect, The true name of the Messiah is Yehowshuwa. Also many do not realized that the Creators name Yehowah, YHWH is mention over 6000 time in the Old Testament, which was replace with the word LORD.
    There many people who say Jesus is Lord, which in turn they also believe that "the LORD" in the Old Testament is Jesus. A totally false concept. It is Yehowah who is our Creator, Father and God.

Please read the below bible references: 

Isaiah 9:6 - For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

John 1:14 - And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Are the above verses wrong then about Jesus? Because they are found in the old and the new testament. #TheWordBecameFlesh

1. ro-jo-yo profile image83
        ro-jo-yoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The English translation of the Hebrew and Greek is not always accurate, in the following link, notice that the word father is not mentioned in Isaiah 9:6.
        http://biblehub.com/interlinear/isaiah/9-6.htm
        How can the son be the father also?
        Do you deny that YHWH Yehowah is the one and only true God?

True I get your point now, out of all these bible versions, which one then is the most accurate?

3. Oztinato profile image75
    Oztinatoposted 8 years ago

Peeps
    the main thing is to have love and compassion. The rest is window dressing. Intellectuals like complexity and that's o.k. and those who aren't intellectuals like a simpler interpretation and thats o.k. too.
    Those who express any kind of religious intolerance have lost too much love and compassion and that's NOT o.k.
    Okay?

4. profile image50
    mils08posted 8 years ago

It is a fact that no two individuals can stand at exactly the same place at exactly the same time. So one could only see and observe things from  one's perspective. Adding to the fact that every human being is created distinctly from one another, making one's thinking and appreciation of things distinct as well. Thus, we could only view and interpret things based on our perspective on such thing and not based on other's view which may be otherwise. And the same is true with our view or interpretation on the passages of the Holy Bible. On my view, I read the Holy BIble to reflect on the message being conveyed by the passage, not to interpret them. Such wisdom (intrepreting) I found myself wanting.

True and God knows why he made us all distinct. I`ve also noted that two different may read the same bible passage and interpret it differently as well.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)